Built or bought? - Page 4 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 62Likes

post #46 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:30 PM

I am at the point where I need to start planning for my son's first Mustang (we have already a basic idea what we want... see 09Frank65 and his coupe). We plan to build it as much as our skills allow. I wont turn down a car that is partially done that needs finishing, but I don't want to redo something just because I don't like the color. For instance, I am looking at 65-66 coupes. I found one that is almost the color we are planning. Hard to tell from photos. Anyway, according to the owner it was recently painted, transmission and engine recently rebuilt, etc. I probably wouldn't go for this car mainly because the engine and transmission are no-go's (6 cylinder and C4). We want to build either a 289 that comes with the car or a 302, along with an AOD. Now, if the price were right, I would have no qualms pitching or selling the existing drivetrain. But part of the project (he is 12) is to build the car over a number of years. He thinks he wants to do something automotive or engineering, and this would be a good avenue to explore those topics. I don't plan to actually purchase a car until he is 14, so we have 2 years to find one, and 2 years to build it.

Long story short, we prefer to build.

Last edited by CantedValve; 11-24-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:32 PM

Had a 65 convertible when I was in high school, had to sell it.

In October 2015 I picked up a 66 coupe that I'm currently building. It's a lot of work, but it gives me time to go out in the garage and do something I enjoy, instead of sitting on the couch watching football or something.

Enjoy the build and take plenty of pictures that you can show everyone at the car shows when it's done.
jgrote likes this.

Frank
66 Coupe
post #48 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC928 View Post
It's a lot of work, but it gives me time to go out in the garage and do something I enjoy, instead of sitting on the couch watching football or something.

I wish! Part of my problem in taking so long is I have to unload the car from a trailer when i want to work on it. Usually unload it Friday night and load it Sunday night. I would likely be done by now if I had the luxury of walking out and working on it for an hour or two whenever I felt like it
FRC928 likes this.

post #49 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRC928 View Post
Had a 65 convertible when I was in high school, had to sell it.

In October 2015 I picked up a 66 coupe that I'm currently building. It's a lot of work, but it gives me time to go out in the garage and do something I enjoy, instead of sitting on the couch watching football or something.

Enjoy the build and take plenty of pictures that you can show everyone at the car shows when it's done.
agreed an hour here two hours here a half hour here that’s the fun of owning one of these.
FRC928 likes this.
post #50 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantedValve View Post
I am at the point where I need to start planning for my son's first Mustang (we have already a basic idea what we want... see 09Frank65 and his coupe). We plan to build it as much as our skills allow. I wont turn down a car that is partially done that needs finishing, but I don't want to redo something just because I don't like the color. For instance, I am looking at 65-66 coupes. I found one that is almost the color we are planning. Hard to tell from photos. Anyway, according to the owner it was recently painted, transmission and engine recently rebuilt, etc. I probably wouldn't go for this car mainly because the engine and transmission are no-go's (6 cylinder and C4). We want to build either a 289 that comes with the car or a 302, along with an AOD. Now, if the price were right, I would have no qualms pitching or selling the existing drivetrain. But part of the project (he is 12) is to build the car over a number of years. He thinks he wants to do something automotive or engineering, and this would be a good avenue to explore those topics. I don't plan to actually purchase a car until he is 14, so we have 2 years to find one, and 2 years to build it.

Long story short, we prefer to build.
good luck with that hope you guys find something good to work with nice you’re starting them young.
post #51 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:00 AM

Garage
Built mine because I have the knowledge and the time to do so, but I also see the appeal of buying one done if I had that much money.

US NAVY VET - 65 Custom Fastback GT-A-code. FiTech EFI w/Tanks Inc. w/Aero 340 LPH pump, TCP Power R&P; Full front coil over conversion w/1" Shelby drop; TMI Sport R custom interior; T5z TKO, Speed Hut custom speedo; Autometer Phantom gauges; SSBC Force 10 -13" disc brakes w/10.5" rear disc brakes; 24" Griffin Radiator w/twin 11" 2800 CFM fans; Classic Auto Air AC; Truck-Lite 7" LED headlights; Mustang Project Shelby LED sequential taillights. 2001 Bullitt rims w/Nitto NT555 235x45x17 tires.

post #52 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernnstang View Post
sheesh so not a lot planned? Lol that’s a lot of plans how far are you into it ?
I am waiting on the return of the engine from the re-builder, I have the WC T-5 in the garage, I have the complete interior except for the dash top, & the gauges. I already have re-wired the car, I have to purchase & weld in the sub frame connectors, I have the spoilers, hood scoop, Shelby side scoops, & the sport mirrors. The 9" rear has been re-built, & the front suspension has been completely re-built with a re-built steering box. I have to run the fuel & vent lines & purchase the Fi Tech EFI, & then get the Coupe painted. Then all that is left is the exterior chrome. All the expensive stuff.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #53 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernnstang View Post
sheesh so not a lot planned? Lol that’s a lot of plans how far are you into it ?
I am waiting on the return of the engine from the re-builder, I have the WC T-5 in the garage, I have the complete interior except for the dash top, & the gauges. I already have re-wired the car, I have to purchase & weld in the sub frame connectors, I have the spoilers, hood scoop, Shelby side scoops, & the sport mirrors. The 9" rear has been re-built, & the front suspension has been completely re-built with a re-built steering box. I have to run the fuel & vent lines & purchase the Fi Tech EFI, & then get the Coupe painted. Then all that is left is the exterior chrome. All the expensive stuff.
that’s awesome man post up some pics along the way I’m sure everyone wants to see the progress.
post #54 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 AM

Bought a (relatively) inexpensive hardtop, so I can build it how I want over time, and keep it driveable as much as possible. Built a Cobra too .

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
AKA "Dr. Wolf"

post #55 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Supporting Member

Both have their advantages but buying is a risk. All to often we've seen those that lack the skills to build, buy then end up paying for a rebuild.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Scott

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story
post #56 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 AM

Save yourself the headache and buy it!

I bought one and built some.

Best memories are from the one that I bought.
Quicksilver66 likes this.

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #57 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:44 AM

...building is fun though. But, only if you already have a daily driver, extra cash and extra time...ALL THESE ARE A MUST

Matt
Brea, CA

1965 Mustang Coupe 289 a/t Build Thread
1967 Firebird 400 4sp
1967 GTO 400 a/t
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe
post #58 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:16 AM

Garage
I have a six cylinder 66 coupe that I purchased 11 years ago. Have been doing what I can do but paying others for what I canít. Most of the work is done. A lot of dollars to others. Last year had a 302 Ford Performance engine and AOD put in. As we all know there never is an end point. This winter my job list is replacing the engine wiring (already have done the rest) plus other smaller tasks. Still have adding AC on the list.

My job is very stressful. Close to retirement but still 2-3 years away. My car is one of my relaxation spots. I have an old stereo in my garage with 4 speakers and a subwoofer. On a day when Iím alone at home I will go in the garage with my cup of coffee, turn on the stereo at a proper volume (loud) and spend the day with my car.

Canít relax much better than that.

Allen
post #59 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:46 AM

I guess I’m in the minority here. I bought mine! At this point in my life, I don’t have the time or the space to build. Between work and a young family there just isn’t much if anything left over. I did a ton of work on a 442 in my parents’ driveway when I was in high school, but now I would much rather spend my time cruising with the family and hanging out with “car” friends rather than in a garage by myself. Plus, I’ve read many build threads, here and elsewhere where talented folks spent a lot of time and money and then either gave up, lost interest or circumstances prevented them from finishing. I certainly understand the pride of building something and commend those of you who have the time and the skills. One day, when things change I hope I will build one too, but right now, mine’s bought, not built and I’m damn proud of it!!
DrHawkeye likes this.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart

Last edited by Quicksilver66; 11-25-2018 at 11:52 AM.
post #60 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:56 AM

Way I see it , it really boils down to the situation one is in, depends if one is skilled or semi skilled, willing to do the work and spend the money, have the time, place and money to do it. Age also a factor, as you get older you tend to feel the all the pains that life has put on you and you don't have the energy and motivation you once had. Passion can be a cure all also, if you really want it and love vintage Mustangs that much then you will do what ever it takes to have one. If you are young then skills and money can be a problem then that's where time becomes your ally and all it takes is planning and setting up goals.

Personally, I am resto-modding mine my self mainly because I wanted it the way I felt Mustangs should be like but that is a personal thing. I think if you have the money but no work shop then buy one that is done or get a shop to make one to your taste. Me I like the idea I can say with pride to friends or at shows that I did it all my self, even tho it took a long time and expense the ends justify the means. I am still working on mine but have not done so for a while now because of new town and new job but every time I go out into the garage and see my Stang, I stare in wonder at how I did that or did this (it is not stock by no means). I think when you rebuld the attachment becomes stronger because of all the hard work, sweat and joy you put into it and that is what you lose when you buy. I know I will never sell mine within my life time.

Wether you build or buy, we are all one, we all love Mustangs and that what counts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page