Rally-Pac with New Harness? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By 22GT
  • 1 Post By zray

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Rally-Pac with New Harness?

Hello all,
I have an original Rally-Pac that is in excellent condition. Both the clock and the tach work properly. However, I have a question. If I were to update my wiring to an all-new harness (Painless 22 circuit) would I have to buy a new Rally-Pac? Would it still work? I have read comments on CJ's that say the factory Rally-Pac won't work.

What would you do in this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 07:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
That's easy... Keep the stock wiring and go with a Brand New Repro "Alloy Metal Products" Brand Factory Wiring Harness from NPD....

and I thought that you had a hard question....

Why the big push for the Paineless wiring setup

A stock wiring system works perfectly as it is...

PS: I would think that no matter what you had...that you'd be able to wire around it....no matter what..

Check out this thread below....

I pretty much posted every Rally-Pac diagram ever made..

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...rally-pac.html

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 11-26-2018 at 08:07 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 PM

I'm guessing they've sponsored some magazine articles.

Alloy Metal is equal or better than OEM, and clicks right in. No trimming or crimping, and they match the factory color codes. You could install the entire harness in a day.
zray and Joe like this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've heard good things about Alloy Metal as well but I did not see an option for a complete harness. I haven't done the math, but I assume it would cost more to buy each of the harnesses separately? Thanks for the replies @22GT @NEFaurora
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, I was leaning towards Painless because they have an entire video tutorial on how to install. I'm not good electrically and I like that they have a tutorial~
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post
Also, I was leaning towards Painless because they have an entire video tutorial on how to install. I'm not good electrically and I like that they have a tutorial~
are you planning fuel injection, elaborate stereo system, etc. ? In that case , then maybe the Painless wiring makes some sense.

But if you are keep the car basically stock, or maybe just adding a few relays for lights, etc. , then I would never advise installing a Painless wiring harness. Video or not, it's going to take you 3 times as long to install vs. a stock wiring harness like the Alloy products, which as 22GT points out, are excellent quality and super easy to install. You don't need a video to install one of the Alloy harnesses. If you can tell red from green from blue, etc., then you can install the stock type full car wiring system in under a day.

Z

PS the Alloy products may cost more, but they are worth it for the quality and ease of installation. Plus you can look on any wiring diagram and your car's wiring will still follow it perfectly.

Another solution might be to have your existing wiring restored. A forum member does wiring restorations, and may have complete restored harnesses for sale :

http://midlifeharness.com/
Mike the old grump likes this.

Last edited by zray; 11-27-2018 at 06:33 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
are you planning fuel injection, elaborate stereo system, etc. ? In that case , then maybe the Painless wiring makes some sense.

But if you are keep the car basically stock, or maybe just adding a few relays for lights, etc. , then I would never advise installing a Painless wiring harness. Video or not, it's going to take you 3 times as long to install vs. a stock wiring harness like the Alloy products, which as 22GT points out, are excellent quality and super easy to install. You don't need a video to install one of the Alloy harnesses. If you can tell red from green from blue, etc., then you can install the stock type full car wiring system in under a day.

Z

PS the Alloy products may cost more, but they are worth it for the quality and ease of installation. Plus you can look on any wiring diagram and your car's wiring will still follow it perfectly.

Another solution might be to have your existing wiring restored. A forum member does wiring restorations, and may have complete restored harnesses for sale :

Welcome to Midlife Harness Restorations
@zray Thanks for the info. I'd like to keep the possibility of doing EFI open for later, but other than that I don't have any other plans for the electrics. If the AMP harnesses are good quality and easy to install, I will go that way.

Anybody know how to get a complete harness's worth out of AMP mini-harnesses? Is there a list of the separate harnesses I need to redo the entire car floating around somewhere?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page