LED lights are gonna drive me to the looney bin! - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1 Driver View Post
Interesting, so will it behave like a 70, or like a 69? That is, will the side markers still flash alternately with the turn signals?
The side marker will blink low to high brightness.

Thank you

Gary

1967 CV 289 A Code
1973 450SL
http://www.vintageleds.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:18 PM

Gary, Id like to order your 70 LED parking/turn signal kit since you came up with the solution side bulbs. Do they come with the kit, and is it just a simple plug in for the side markers?

1970 Mustang Mach 1 Grabber blue
4v
351 C 4 Speed
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjallen3 View Post
Gary, Id like to order your 70 LED parking/turn signal kit since you came up with the solution side bulbs. Do they come with the kit, and is it just a simple plug in for the side markers?
The Park and Side markers are separate.
The new side marker is a wedge light with an additional ground wire.

Just shoot me an e-mail at:
[email protected]

Gary

1967 CV 289 A Code
1973 450SL
http://www.vintageleds.com/

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan _MacDougall View Post
OP any response on what car you are working on?
Alan, its a 66.

Quote:
Dave

I have some experience with LED and old mustangs. Why don't you PM me and we can have a call to discuss your issues?

Thank you

Gary
Gary, I appreciate the offer to hash this out privately but I'd like to make the information and my attempts (both failed and successful, hopefully) available for all to enjoy. That and every time I have time to think about it its already past 10pm and I wouldn't feel right calling somebody that late (I know I wouldn't like it)!

post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Another quick update with nearly a complete fix...

So, I yanked both bulbs out tonight, took them apart, and soldered in a diode before the main resistor to ensure electricity only flows one way. Slapped them both back in and clicked on the blinkers... left blinker on, only left bulb blinked, hooray! Right blinker on, both lights blinked...WTF?! Long story short, one of the diodes I soldered in was bad (what are the odds?!?!). Swapped it out and now only the directed bulb blinks when commanded, hooray! But, I don't think I am all the way out of the woods yet.

With the headlights on, I'm not sure its doing everything correct (hopefully somebody can confirm correct light function). With headlights on, taillights are on, front running lights are off. I then click the left blinker on and it blinks from high to low brightness (vs high to off as would be expected). The dash turn signal indicator bulb does the same thing; high to low brightness vs on and off. I don't know what to look at for this issue, so suggestions are welcome.

Almost there!

post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:21 PM

First part is correct - not sure what you are saying with high/low? Is this for the front directionals? If so, seems like something is crossed - should brighter with LED's all the time - no dimming.

Maybe Gary has the answer - he's the man when it comes to LED problems - help me out for sure.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Hooray Success

After checking my new headlight switch, it’s wiring, the LED flasher, and a few more odds and ends the light bulb finally went off... what about the rear LED bulbs (I think somebody may have mentioned it on this thread)? They work fine and are doing what they need to do, but what if they are affecting the fronts? Turns out, they were!

I pulled both rear bulbs out and everything on the front worked fine! Crap, I wonder if the rears are backfeeding the fronts... after a rear bulb tear down sure enough they were. I needed to install a diode on the bright “filament” side to keep voltage from the running light circuit lighting up the bright side but at the running light reduced voltage (how LED’s change the brightness level on dual filament bulbs).

I definitely chased my tail more than once, but dammit, I figured it out! So anyone installing LED’s throughout their classic is going to need to either find a bulb manufacturer that sells bulbs with diodes already installed (good luck confirming that unless it’s a company who actually assembles the bulbs themselves, Gary/gtonavy?) or you will have to install them yourself.

I have attached two pics of the before and after modification of the bulbs I was working with. Ignore the cooked resistor 😮😉. While I had the headlight switch out I also did a simple mod that keeps the front running lights on when the headlights are switched on. It looks nice with the added lights up front.

Whew, glad that’s over!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 596A85C3-550B-4A08-9CF6-C694FA054088_1545007916360.jpg (518.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 9B63355E-BDCF-4BB9-B7EC-FE155CEC6DB7_1545007931823.jpg (439.3 KB, 8 views)
Eitelbj likes this.

Last edited by daveoxide; 12-16-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page