• 1 Post By 4ocious
  • 4 Post By zray

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Gas tank

What is the best method to clean 68 gas tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Why does it need cleaning? If it's been sitting for awhile and is rusty you're probably better off just replacing it. Tanks aren't that expensive, and if it's gunked up inside and you keep using it you might spend the next year troubleshooting clogs in fuel filters, clogged up pumps, etc. Ask me how I know...

Also if you don't mind giving up a little trunk space you can replace the old one w/ a 22 gallon tank so you don't need to fill up as often.

1967 coupe in dark blue w/ a 302 and 3 speed from a '68
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
This opinion will be shared by many who know here at VMF. Get a new one. They are inexpensive and a very important part of your car that should not be taken lightly.

Here's one that was cleaned out and you can clearly see the inner corrosion it revealed. (Corrosion = Weakened.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old fuel tank (4).jpg (94.6 KB, 12 views)
gt350sr likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:09 AM

Garage
I have a one off tank for a 70 with emissions. I had it red leaded in 1992. They told me it would only last 10 yrs. its still going

but i didnt have a choice as i wanted to keep it original. better off just get a new Canadian one from NPD

1970 Mach 1 San Jose built Dec 23 1969. Marti 1 of 7. Purchased in 1987. Original family owner of the power train
351C 2v FMX.

1993 GT 13,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Bought 8/3/93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof, AC. Unmolested all original car. Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus 300 7349 View Post
What is the best method to clean 68 gas tank
first of all, as everyone is saying, just get a new tank. the only exception to that would be if there is some historical significance to your car that would be harmed if the original gas tank is removed. Chances are, the tank isn't original anyway.

If you absolutely have to keep the tank, don't coat it. I've seen literally hundreds of gas tanks, motorcycle and auto, that had one of the popular, and expensive gas tank coating treatments done to it. Without exception, they ALL eventually fail, and begin to de-laminate from the metal and then you are much worse off than before. NO ONE is making a coating treatment that lasts, if they tell you differently, they are flat out lying.

The only treatment I use if a gas tank can't be replaced, usually on vintage motorcycles, is an electrolysis process that deposits a hard and durable phosphate coating on the inside of the tank that is only a few microns thick.

briefly, you fill up the tank with a solution of water and washing soda. get a battery charger and connect the negative clamp to the outside bare tank metal. Attach the positive clamp to a sacrificial anode, a ferrous rod, iron or steel, not stainless steel, and insert it into the tank into the liquid solution, making sure not to contact the metal of the tank.

turn on the battery charger and some nasty black vile sh*t will start bubbling out of the tank and in a few hours the rust will be gone and the phosphate coating will remain.

rinse out the tank with hot water and blow it 100% dry with a hair blow dryer.

The down side of this treatment is that it's very hard on battery chargers. In the process of restoring about 50 vintage motorcycle tanks, I went thru 4 NAPA chargers one summer at a vintage motorcycle repair / restoration shop where I worked in Austin. After the 4th charger died, the guys at NAPA refused to exchange the burnt out charger for a new one and gave me a refund.

They very politely asked me to go somewhere else for my battery charger business. I'm they are still wondering how I burned up their nice battery chargers.

Z
66conv6, BlakeTX, Mr.E and 1 others like this.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:34 PM

Garage
evaporust works pretty good, but I've never tried it on a gas tank.

65 FB 289/3sp Rangoon Red/Red interior
68 Coupe 200/6 T-5 Diamond Blue/Blue interior
68 Coupe 302/C4 Black interior
69 Coupe 250/6 C4, Blue/Black interior
70 Coupe 390/C6 Auto Gold Metallic/Ginger interior
2010 Gold V6/Auto Sunset Gold/Black interior
65 Falcon Vintage Burgundy/Palomino interior
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:50 PM

Wow! Amazing information I've learned on this website. Just thinking how I solved problems before the internet. Besides shop manuals, I used to go around town and bug mechanics discreetly if I saw them standing outside taking a break. Was a lot easier to do when I was a teenager obviously with no money.

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:18 AM

Garage
Thumbs Up Tanks

I've swapped all my early car with a 22 gal tank, even my old 68 6 cyl beater. All you need to do is cut 2" off the filler neck and use the stock rubber hose connector- not one of those expensive "swap kits"! The 70 tank has been in my 64 since 1992 and never had problems and that's almost 400,000 miles of driving. With OD, my range is usually close to 500 miles. When I had my shop, we did dozens of these swaps. Even my 65 K GT FB has one!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160622_214759 (640x360).jpg (190.4 KB, 4 views)

64 9/10 Convertible- 400,000 miles & counting (2nd owner)- Invited by Ford to SEMA-2014 Pony Drive Pace Car
57 Thunderbird- E-Bird 312 w/ 2 4bbl carbs. 3 speed w/ O/D
65 GT Convertible
65 K GT Fastback- 60,000 original miles
Original 65 pedal car
69 GT Convertible- 90,000 miles Invited by Ford to SEMA-2014
69 Grande'- 1 of 11 on colors- 1 of 1 w/ options
2016 GT convertible w/ CDC Outlaw #13 package- delivered 10/27.
08 P-71 Police Intercepter
2000 F-250 Lariat, 2010 F-250 King Ranch
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Best Method?? Buy a new one!

If the original tank has any rust inside or outside... Chuck it and buy a new one... Today's Replacement Gas tanks are built as well or even better than the Originals..

I would only buy American Designers Brand or Scott Drake's both sold by NPD...

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 03:56 PM

I'm also looking for a replacement tank for my '68 GT/CS. I live in Hawaii, so shipping costs can be quite expensive. (We call it "the price of paradise"). Looking on Amazon, I found the following Spectra replacement tank that has free shipping (Amazon Prime). Can anyone comment on the quality of these tanks vs. what's available from NPD? (Note: this is a replacement for the stock tank, and NOT the EFI tank).

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...5%3A2470955011

Mahalo,

Harry Z
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryZ View Post
I'm also looking for a replacement tank for my '68 GT/CS. I live in Hawaii, so shipping costs can be quite expensive. (We call it "the price of paradise"). Looking on Amazon, I found the following Spectra replacement tank that has free shipping (Amazon Prime). Can anyone comment on the quality of these tanks vs. what's available from NPD? (Note: this is a replacement for the stock tank, and NOT the EFI tank).

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi...5%3A2470955011

Mahalo,

Harry Z
Did you call and ask NPD what is the brand of tank they sell? It may be Spectra.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 04:43 PM

Garage
As said above, it's often cheaper and more convenient to replace the entire tank. Keep in mind you can get extra capacity by stepping up to the 22 gallon tank. CJ and others sell complete conversion kits. I bought one and it'll be nice to have the extra range. Link below:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/fuel-tan...4aAmJYEALw_wcB

If you don't want to replace the sender, etc. you can keep the original. It'll just show "full" longer on your gauge.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page