I May Hold The Keys To Taiwan - Vintage Mustang Forums
 28Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
I May Hold The Keys To Taiwan

I'll try to keep this short and concise, but you know me...

On 8/13/18 with my car nearing completion it came time to get a complete ignition, doors, and trunk lock set. I ordered item #22050 from Mustangs Unlimited. The set came with 4 keys pre-cut, 2 for ignition and 2 for doors/trunk. Terrific, all good and installed. Then I decided to get some spares to have extra's of each and ordered the proper usual Ford licensed key blanks from either NPD or CJ's (can't remember which and not gonna look it up, doesn't matter). Took them to Durham's best old school locksmith shop to have them cut perfectly to match and they did so.

They will not even go all the way into any of the cylinders. They go in about halfway and no further. Mind you, they look identical at even a close glance to the keys that came with the set from MU. Quite a mystery, huh? It turns out they are just a smidgen too thick. A barely perceptible difference.

Well. I called MU on 9/14/18 and spoke to Robert in Georgia. He actually grabbed some Ford licensed blanks and another of the lock sets like the one I had purchased to see for himself if I was crazy or not. He found I was not crazy, they would not go further than halfway in for him either. Alright, now we're getting somewhere. He would notify "Purchasing" of the problem and at my request see if they could just get key blanks from the lock set manufacturer for me. Time passes.

Followed up with another call to MU on 11/12/18. This time spoke to Paul who informed me that Robert no longer works there. Great. He verifies the whole shebang story too and says he'll get back to me after notifying "Purchasing" for a resolution. Time passes.

Today I called again, this time getting Linda in Connecticut. Turns out their Georgia warehouse/store is kaputski and Paul along with it. Super-duper. Went over the whole saga again. Linda assures me, as did Robert and Paul before her, that she will notify "Purchasing" and get back to me. Hmm. I told her that maybe in addition to that move she might consider writing a little memo to slap down on some V.P.'s desk. She can only do so much she says.
Time passes.

Lousy manufacturing and lousy customer service.
Sometimes you just have to laugh.
Israel likes this.

Last edited by 4ocious; 12-13-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM

Now wondering if Mustangs Unlimited is going kaput.
69DroptopGT and 4ocious like this.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:41 PM

If I were Linda, I wouldn't call "Purchasing" about those keys. It appears if one dares to question the reliability of those keys, they end up in an unmarked grave out past Terlingua. Mr. Rate still has the shovel!
fordguy, rbohm, Israel and 6 others like this.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Supporting Member

Garage
NPD...seems I remember they have a slim stock of actual NOS key blanks.

Regards,
Patrick
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:17 PM

Funny... Sounds as if you pursue this it might get pretty crowed out there past Terlingua. Brian

5R09A 4 Speed GT Built 5/29/65
9T02R 4 Speed SCJ Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Ahh, that explains why the last time I was just looking up a part on their website it wasn't in stock in GA. Now they don't even show the different locations, just that a part is in stock or usually ships in X days...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:11 PM
Supporting Vendor

We still have a little over 1,300 pcs of the door/ignition pony keys, NOS (original ILCO, who was Ford's supplier). Of course they're not licensed, because they predate all that licensing stuff, they're original.. NPD # 22053-1 @ $5.00/each.

Unfortunately, we sold-out of our NOS trunk keys years ago. We're currently carrying the Drake licensed repros, although I see nothing about them not fitting.. I'll have to look at it myself.

Rick
NPD
kenash likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:14 PM

Garage
Aw, I like MU, hope they don't go kaput. But if they do, I hope they have a rager of a fire sale so I can buy up some more parts.

1968 Mustang Coupe - work in progress
1965 Ford F100 flareside pickup - daily driver
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:34 PM

Garage
Been there, done that with a much larger and more expensive reproduction part. Like you, I tried to help the manufacturer by identifying the problem being as detailed and thorough as possible. I saw my efforts as being positive, but sometimes companies and their lawyers maybe don't see it that way . Glad to hear there are others out trying to do the right thing for other hobbyist and builders.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
We still have a little over 1,300 pcs of the door/ignition pony keys, NOS (original ILCO, who was Ford's supplier). Of course they're not licensed, because they predate all that licensing stuff, they're original.. NPD # 22053-1 @ $5.00/each.

Unfortunately, we sold-out of our NOS trunk keys years ago. We're currently carrying the Drake licensed repros, although I see nothing about them not fitting.. I'll have to look at it myself.

Rick
NPD
Just to clarify, It is my firm opinion that the key blanks available from you at NPD (and other vendors too) are fine and dandy. If they weren't you would have heard some screaming from all corners by now. The root problem is the crummy repop locks and ignition cylinders from God knows where that I bought. My conundrum is I'd really rather not have to replace them all, hoping I could just get the thinner blanks from whoever makes them, again God knows where.

Maybe I should just punt, bite the bullet and order an all new set from NPD and be done with it. At least that way, off in the future some new owner of my car someday will be able to get proper replacement key blanks without any question or drama.
rpm likes this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:09 PM

Garage
When we needed a replacement key for our trunk lock I pulled the cylinder and had my wife take it (the cylinder, not the key) to the local old school lock smith who worked his magic and made two replacement keys that worked fine.

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:15 PM

I bought a carpet from MU in Georgia about 2 months ago. They were open then.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims68GTCS View Post
When we needed a replacement key for our trunk lock I pulled the cylinder and had my wife take it (the cylinder, not the key) to the local old school lock smith who worked his magic and made two replacement keys that worked fine.
Yeah, that's the way to do it alright. Only in my case I would have discovered that they wouldn't work about 30 minutes earlier than I did.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

Update, I just plugged a repro Drake trunk key into a Performance Years trunk lock cylinder, and... No problem at all..

I didn't try a Drake lock cylinder, because they vacuum-board all their sets for display, such that you have to destroy all the packaging just to access the parts. That always drives me NUTS.

Since the OP started out with a lock set for which I do not know the origin (actual source/manufacturer), I can't really draw much in the way of conclusions, whether it's the cylinders or the blanks.

Rick
NPD
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Update, I just plugged a repro Drake trunk key into a Performance Years trunk lock cylinder, and... No problem at all..

I didn't try a Drake lock cylinder, because they vacuum-board all their sets for display, such that you have to destroy all the packaging just to access the parts. That always drives me NUTS.

Since the OP started out with a lock set for which I do not know the origin (actual source/manufacturer), I can't really draw much in the way of conclusions, whether it's the cylinders or the blanks.

Rick
NPD
I'm convinced it's the cylinders, but MU couldn't tell me whose, and I just can't recall what the packaging or brand was. Pretty sure it wasn't Drake though. Like 99% sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page