Vintage Mustang Forums banner

I just ordered 15x7 wheels for my 1965

12K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  dm289 
#1 ·
fastback and was told I would have to modify my upper control arms so they wouldn’t rub. Can anyone tell me where and how much I need to remove from the upper control arms to avoid rubbing? I am planning to go staggered with 215/60/15 front tires and 225/60/15 on the back. Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
I put a similar wheel on Little Red. Sounds like you went with the LW70. I went with the LW66, which is styled after the 10-spoke 1966 GT350 wheel, with 225/60R15 BFG Radial T/A's (slightly regretting the tire decision after reading another post on here). No rubbing so far, but also haven't driven more than 20 miles on them personally. Also yet to be seen what will happen after I replace the entire from suspension with new parts from Opentracker and/or Street or Track, along with doing the Arning drop. Fingers crossed everything still fits.

#12 ·
I run 225 X 60 15s BG TAs on 15 X 7 Styled wheels without any rubbing on the rear. Since I lowered the front by 1.5 to 2.0" I did roll the front lips. Have no rubbing issues.

#16 ·
I have 215/60/15's on my 65 convertible, BFG Radials on 15x7 inch Scott Drake Styled Steel Wheels. The backspacing is listed as 4 5/8. I called Scott Drake Automotive to make sure they would fit and was told they would no problem. When I got them on, I had scraping on the upper control arm in the front (the rim). This was only on hard turns in parking lots and it was worse on incline/decline. I ground some of the upper arms off and it helped but didn't cure it completely. Since then, I have replaced the entire front suspension with stock Moog stuff and did the Shelby Drop. I have the engine out still so can't tell you how it is now, but with it out sitting on the suspension things look a lot different. I have a feeling I might have some rubbing-this time the tire-on the control arm but this might be cured with a good alignment and possibly some grinding as well. Tough to tell with the front sitting up in the air. I have a couple of 1/8 inch spacers I got from CJ Pony for like $18 just in case, but I'd rather not have to use them.

#19 · (Edited)
No it won’t. Do a proper alignment and choose the correct size tires and will be well with the world. The only time this one rubbed was when turning and dipping...like into a driveway. Original U.S.A. made AR TTD’s with 225/60x15’s.

P.S. I forgot, it still didn’t rub after I installed 1” blocks in the rear either.

#21 ·
lower the upper control arm 1" set camber 1/2 to 3/4 neg You should not have a problem with the fenders

#22 ·
If your Upper control arms are stock, with your backspacing, the wheel or the sidewall will be rubbing or very very close to it. How do I know? I have the exact same setup (but with Cragar wheels). You can fix it with a 1/4" spacer in the front - it won't be noticeable and it gives just enough clearance. Otherwise, you need to either change your front wheel offset by 1/2" (probably the smallest increment they have), or you need to go to 16" wheels, which will clear the UCA/balljoint completely.

On to tire size. You can't run 225s up front, they're tight in the back, but I had to do 215s in the front and they don't rub at all.

Hope it works out for you!

#23 ·
Update: I received my wheels from CJ Pony Parts and they look good....except, I did not get the CS center caps. When I called to see why I was told because I didn’t order a set of (4). I said, yes I did. I added (4) to my cart and that the CS center caps are included. Apparently, since I ordered from my IPad their website does not show a drop down box to let you know that they are adding additional charges for the CS center caps. The best part is I even called before I placed the order to make sure I would receive the CS center caps with my order and was assured I would. I am waiting to see what the response will be. My point, be careful when ordering anything from CJ Pony if you are not on a PC because their website does not seem to be able to support iPad, Android type orders. If I would have known this I would have ordered from another site that has the rims, themselves, on sale for less. I will let y’all know if CJ delivers what the site advertised for iPad purchases.

#27 · (Edited)
The worst part, as I mentioned above, is that I called and talked to a sales representative to make sure the CS center caps would be included if I added (4) wheels to my cart. He read their add and said: “Yes.” Supposedly, I will find out on Friday if they are going to do the right thing and send me the caps. I will wait until they make a decision to do my Google review and will let y’all know what happens.

#29 ·
Over the years I have bought parts from various Mustang vendors. I really can’t think of any bad experiences with any of them. All have been friendly and I don’t recall any shipping or customer service issues either. Except for CJ, they’re no where near being in the same league. I was in their Harrisburg store to buy tie rods, I tell the guy 66 V8. He looks them up, not me. Comes back with 6 cylinder tie rods. I tell him they’re the wrong ones. He looks them up again and tells me they are the correct ones. This goes back and forth a few time and he’s getting a little testy with me. Finally I made him get his azz out from behind the counter and go out into the parking lot with me and look at a actual V8 Mustang. Oh he says. Then there is the time I bought MAC headers from them over the phone to be picked up at the Carlisle show. Go to their tent, they sold them on me. No more in stock and they’re back ordered (sound fame?). Finally they come to my house. Their boxing was appalling. It looked like they scrambled around their store looking for bits and pieces to complete the order and dumped them loose in a big box. They sent me Fox headers, no way are they going to fit. I call them up, tell them they shipped me the wrong ones. They don’t want to hear it and insist I have the right headers. I’m not getting anywhere with this moron. So I ask him then why do the headers have O2 bungs? No kidding, he tells me that 66 Mustangs used O2 sensors. I kid you not. His brother must be the guy at NJ DMV that was opening the hood on my 66 for annual emissions testing looking for the OBD connector to plug in to looking for codes after he couldn’t find it under the dash, really!

#30 ·
Hopefully, they will do the right thing. They will either have a loyal customer or someone that will tell the truth about them at every opportunity. Ie complaints to the state attorney generals office, BBB, Chamber of Commerce, as well as the internet. I was told I will have a decision by the people at the top by tomorrow. Stay tuned.

#33 ·
Im a few hours from NPD, 30min from Summit and was 1.5 hours from the now closed Mustangs Unlimited in Atlanta.

If at all possible, I buy large/expensive items in person. Far to often, the wrong thing shows up, if shipping is costly, they never want to take it back.

#35 ·
I put dozens of sets of wheels on 65/66/67/68 Mustangs

the wheels most often used are torque thrust 15x7 by American racing but also Styled steel and magnum 500 wheels

I have had a recent issue with the newly produced 15x7 Styled steels in that they hit the upper A arm with 215/60/15 tyres on 67 Mustangs, This was NEVER an issue before. Some may know 15x7 Styled and Magnums were out of production for quite some time due to an issue with the outer hoop manufacturer and they have only fairly recently come back into stock, (at least with my supplier)

As far as tyre size, Our Go To tyre choice to normally guarantee fit is 215/60/15 front and 225/60/15 rear for both 65/66 and 67/68. But even with those, occasionally we need to roll the back arches and have issues where the tyre hits on full lock in the front. This issue is usually on Torque Thrust wheels which from what is mentioned above with the backspace could show the issue there

It is definitely a case of every car is different.

I had a 67 Fastback with dead original and stock parts underneath, I bought a set of ten spokes from Tony Branda and the setup hit the ball joint shroud. we checked and rechecked everything and they said they never had the issue, In the end a 1/4 spacer cured the issue and is our go to solution for occasional front end clearance issues with tyres and wheels

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.