Did i build my drum brakes wrong? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 19Likes

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Would having a parking brake cable installed contribute to this issue?

I currently do not have any of the E-brake hardware installed due to my lever being stuck/rusted solid. (I had the brake strut/spring installed in the photos, i removed it and it made no difference) so there is no cable or lever either.

Whatís pictured is just the essentials, i believe. (This is my first time working with drum brakes)

Roadkill and Harbor Freight enthusiast
Rust-bucket 1969 Mustang Mach 1. Build thread link!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:19 PM

I think you are missing the top retainer

I cannot get the link to display but google top brake shoe retainer and you will see what I am talking about

Last edited by Sons67; 12-21-2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: cannot get link to display
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sons67 View Post
I think you are missing the top retainer

I cannot get the link to display but google top brake shoe retainer and you will see what I am talking about
As Sons67 stated there is a retainer that goes in front of the shoes & in back of the tension springs. See attached links below of my 69 Coupe rebuilt rear drum brakes.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/membe...100-1147-a.jpg

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/membe...100-1148-a.jpg

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:28 AM

2" shoes on a 1 3/4" backing plate doesn't work well. May be why the drum is bottom out metal to metal contact. The pins out the wheel cyl. must be in straight alinement with shoes, or they bind.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG69 View Post
As Sons67 stated there is a retainer that goes in front of the shoes & in back of the tension springs. See attached links below of my 69 Coupe rebuilt rear drum brakes.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/membe...100-1147-a.jpg

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/membe...100-1148-a.jpg

Okay awesome, thank you!
Iíll go out today and find some retainers and see if i can grind down either the shoes or the adjuster so i can get the drums to fit. I think after that iíll just use the brakes once they work to ďset everything inĒ

It looks like everything else should be the right size. I shall report back

post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red351 View Post
2" shoes on a 1 3/4" backing plate doesn't work well. May be why the drum is bottom out metal to metal contact. The pins out the wheel cyl. must be in straight alinement with shoes, or they bind.

These backing plates are from whatever parts stash my 9-inch rear builder had. I know they arenít original mustang stuff because i had to grind the hole bigger to fit the wheel cylinders into the backing plate. So they could be for 1-3/4, but iím not completely sure. I wish i could find some original 69 9-inch small bearing backing plates but they donít sell repros of those that i can find

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:24 AM

Garage
Kwaz, check out the attached link from WCCC (West Coast Classic Cougar) they have them used for $2.97 ea like the ones in the pic of my 69 Coupe, or they have the repro style for $2.57. Hope that helps you.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.co...tml?attribs=88

You could try contacting James Van Buren @ Blue Ridge Classic Mustang in Virginia, I have purchased stuff from him before, & he was easy to deal with. He should have what you need, I believe he is a member here.
Kwaz likes this.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.

Last edited by MikeG69; 12-22-2018 at 10:38 AM.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:13 AM

We've also got a Mustang shop here in Denver that actually has a yard with (according to them) 2000 Mustang parts cars. If you need correct backing plates, they may be able to help you. New Mustang Parts For Sale In Denver, Colorado!
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:21 AM

There are usually 10 inch backing plates on ebay.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:40 AM

Oh, and on a completely different note, isn't it a cheap upgrade to put front drums on the rear? If so, I've got some stock front backing plates I'll sell you for little more than beer money (plus shipping). The drums are toast, but everything else is still together. I could send them as complete as you wanted them.
Kwaz likes this.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 04:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
The "retainers" are only used on applications where there is a shouldered anchor pin. With the "retainer" you probably won't have room for your return springs.

Looking at your "rub" I'm going to agree with the others regarding the wrong backing plate. Aside from swapping the backing plates the only other "redneck engineering" solution I can think of is to pull the axles and have a 1/4" spacer installed between the axle bearing and the shoulder on the axle.
CHOCK and Kwaz like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:13 PM

1/8" spacer between axle flange and drum would stop the bottoming out, but it doesn't correct the W/C alinement if it's wrong.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
Oh, and on a completely different note, isn't it a cheap upgrade to put front drums on the rear? If so, I've got some stock front backing plates I'll sell you for little more than beer money (plus shipping). The drums are toast, but everything else is still together. I could send them as complete as you wanted them.
@Huskinhano he tried just this thing ,didn't work out

Brad
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey all,

I wasnít able to get to the brakes today, but i think my plan is to source some 1969 mustang 9 inch small bearing rear backing plates from somewhere and swap them.

Iíll call around tomorrow if anyoneís open, and if not i guess iíll wait til after christmas and wait on shipping.

If i can find any Vendors in the Dallas area iíll drive up there if i have to!

I called Mustangs unlimited and NPD and double checked that my hardware and shoes were correct in the catalogs. So itís gotta be the backing plates and possibly the adjuster being slightly too big. If the backing plates and retainer donít fix the problem, iíll just grind the adjusters and say screw it.

post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post

Replacement front drums are used on both small block 2.25Ē shoes and big block 2.50Ē shoes. These drums will fit on the rear, I tried it but the problem is the offset of the top anchor. This is one of my old front drums test fitted on the back. It does spin freely. There could be some merit running these drums with the stock rear shoes as the drums have more mass and are finned

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page