Block Painting - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 19Likes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poqman View Post
Anyone recommend using Duplicolor clearcoat over the Duplicolor color coat to make it more resistant to gas, oil and heat?
While, not my whole engine but my engine builder strongly had suggested to me to have my tri-power carb intake powder coated as it would be best to hold up against any gas leaks. So I took his advice and had it powder coated.
Although no leaks in my 15 yrs with it, my intake looks perfect as day one.

If you borrow a tool more than twice, you need to own it You get what you pay for!
George email: <[email protected]>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poqman View Post
Anyone recommend using Duplicolor clearcoat over the Duplicolor color coat to make it more resistant to gas, oil and heat?
I'm under the impression the clear coat is no more durable than the color coat. In fact, I would expect the clear to be less durable. Have you heard otherwise? I like to use clear on parts I want to look bare metal, but also want some rust protection.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
I'm under the impression the clear coat is no more durable than the color coat. In fact, I would expect the clear to be less durable. Have you heard otherwise? I like to use clear on parts I want to look bare metal, but also want some rust protection.
I used Duplicolor dark ford blue engine paint when I rebuilt the engine. The valve covers have spots that have lightened from spills. I did not clearcoat the engine, however, I did clearcoat the breather assembly and it still looks new. So I was thinking I should clearcoat the engine where it was easy to do, but didn't know if it would help or hurt.
alex1965 likes this.

1966 2+2, 289 A code, AOD AT, 3.55 Currie Traction Lock, PS, PDB, AC, Pony deluxe interior & Rally Pac

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
I'm also partial to Ford Corporate Dark Blue. Getting a good quality single stage from a local paint store would be optimal, but man, it's getting ridiculously expensive to buy paint that way.

I've had good luck with Duplicolor rattle cans. I like to use their high-temp primer before spraying on the color. While you don't really need "high-temp" paint, I find the high-temp rattle can stuff is pretty good quality. I even use the Duplicolor high-temp primer and paint on other parts.

I find it works best to spray on two coats of primer then multiple, light coats of color and and final, heavier "wet" coat. Be careful with the last coat to prevent runs.

Gypsy's points about trying to paint in cold weather are spot on. Living in Colorado, this is often a challenge for me. It's frustrating, but when it's cold outside, I simply cannot paint anything. I've tried warming up my garage, but the results are typically disastrous. The only time I get decent results is if I keep the garage warm overnight and let everything absorb heat and equalize. Even then it's hit or miss.

I'm attaching a picture of my latest engine as an example of a Duplicolor rattle-can job.

Good info. Thanks so much, I appreciate your input. Also, that engine looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I've found it best to paint it all at once. Whether assembled or not. I like partially assembled so I can get the edges of the oil pan and such.

The late light "Ford" blue got me once. Painted the engine and then the timing cover and oil pan with a different can of the exact same paint. Tint was way off. I'm not even that particular but it looked goofy. Ever since I've tried to hit everything with a coat from a single can. And when I need a second or third coat it will also all come from a single can. The blacks seem OK, you can spray them here and there and they match all right.

Lately I've been favoring the earlier Ford dark blue. Black looks good, especially with aluminum heads but I hate how hard it is to track leaks on a black engine. My latest I'm painting "cast iron" because I was out of blues and had some extra. I looks pretty good.

Be sure what parts you are painting are actually room temperature and the paint too. When too cold the paint can "blush" and looks nasty. You can't get away with warmed up paint on cold parts either, I tried. I have has success in a cold garage by warming the parts and paint by a heater and keeping theme there for a few hours.

Good advice. Ill be using this. Thanks!

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Quarnstrom View Post

Good luck on your painting and post pics of the finished product.

Eric Q.

You got it

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page