Valuation question - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 94Likes

post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:48 PM

Just a note to everyone 5 percent of $10000 is only $500 more so not much of a difference.
Franklin Colletta likes this.

Current piles of rust 1965: New yorker***1968: GTO convert, Lemans convert Porche 911***1969: MustangGT convert, Mach1 S code Mach1, Mach1 CobraJet R code GTO convert, Firbird Convert 1970 Boss 302***1972: Charger***1999:f250 CNG truck***2011:nissan Altima ---> I need to get rid of some of this junk lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
I would agree that it warrants a bit of a bump...maybe not as much as Rick might suggest.... but certainly the color combo would be worth more than if it was Wimbledon White or Silver Frost but less than a Special '67 color.... I'd say 2%.. :-)

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:12 PM

I dislike it when Mustangers use Marti reports to tout their cars as 1 of XXX. The fact is even the rarest of Mustangs were likely 1/500 at best. Using color/paint codes or 8 track radios to make the car seem rarer than it really is is just disingenuous to me. That doen't mean I would dismiss a car right out, but I would lose confidence in a seller pretty quickly.

All that said Boss9 has a very valid point that an original and appealing color combo could bump pricing 5-10%. Bottom line the seller has a appealing car if it is in good condition. Mustangs may not be rare, but solid original examples are getting rarer every year, and given their popularity there aren't enough to go around.

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
I dislike it when Mustangers use Marti reports to tout their cars as 1 of XXX. The fact is even the rarest of Mustangs were likely 1/500 at best. Using color/paint codes or 8 track radios to make the car seem rarer than it really is is just disingenuous to me. That doen't mean I would dismiss a car right out, but I would lose confidence in a seller pretty quickly.

All that said Boss9 has a very valid point that an original and appealing color combo could bump pricing 5-10%. Bottom line the seller has a appealing car if it is in good condition. Mustangs may not be rare, but solid original examples are getting rarer every year, and given their popularity there aren't enough to go around.
Agreed. As much as a Marti report can be a useful tool, they typically over-emphasize on how "rare" your car is when in reality they made hundreds of thousands of 1967 mustangs. In this situation the OP's clients car that's "1 of 9" is incredibly misleading because they factor in all of the options or lack thereof. When I think of a car that's 1 of 9 made, I think of a 1968 Yenko Camaro or something similar that only had a production number of approximately 64 cars built. Then I think of the engine/trans combo, factor in maybe the exterior color and rear end, then you have a car that in my opinion is actually a true "1 of xxx" number car. In the OP's clients particular situation... I think the condition of the car is going to make for a higher value than having a "rare color combination."

Last edited by MUSTANG65FBK3; 01-04-2019 at 10:23 PM.
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Respectfully, it really doesn't matter how dime-a-dozen they were back in the day, or how many thousands they made back then.. That was then.

Today, if originality meant something to you, and you were looking for a car that came from the factory with attractive features, in good shape and close enough that you could travel/assess it, you could spend months if not years looking at car after car after car that had hum-drum appeal, or had been painted some shade of re-sale-red or modern-metallic-blue, before you'd FINALLY come across this nice little package.

I've been collecting original cars my entire life... When you're walking the field, or browsing the classifieds/internet, you've always got a basic "value-range" in mind for a specific year/make/model that's fairly static...

But then, when all of a sudden you come across a nice example that's rather loaded, in an attractive factory color, ESPECIALLY with the color-matching or color-accenting interior... That adds a decent dose of motivation. It makes you willing to toss an extra couple grand down to try and win it, as opposed to just continuing your journey, wasting your time travelling to look at a bunch more cars that don't float your boat like that one did.

A unique color combo is "who cares" to the majority of buyers, but very important to a minority of buyers. One of that minority will be your buyer, and they'll happily pay the premium.. Been there.. Done that... Many many times...

When my Pewter with Ginger deluxe interior '73 Mach 1 headed down the road to a new owner, and it had every available option including A/C, power windows, and rear defrost, I think I may have collected a world-record price for a 1973 Mach 1 at the time, and it was just a driver with a couple rust holes in the floors. But the combo was rare, especially with the options, and the buyer was hooked on that.
^^^+++^^^

I looked for over 3 years for a car I wanted - 67-68 FB with 390 (or SB updated to a 351w) with stick. Even looked at '69s. They were either rust buckets or retromods (many Elanor's). When one came up for auction in NC I had it inspected and bid by phone. I set a max, but as 69bossnice said, I made one extra bid - "willing to toss an extra couple grand down to try and win it" - as I had realized the rarity of what I was looking for. The Marti report has 1 of 2,000+, so not unique, just hard to find.
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackelbarry View Post
Where did the (only 9 made) come from? Documentation? IIRC, 86% of the 67 Mustangs were non air and Brittany Blue was a standard color. What color is the trim? I see no extra value, itís just another 67. In contrast, I have a 67: Brittany Blue, 2 door hardtop, ps, pb, factory ac (14% of cars), numbers matching .....and itís still just a 67 coupe. According to November/December CPI black book the retail prices are, 1) fair condition $6200-6300.00 2) good condition $11,200.00 ish. 3) excellent/ perfect condition $23,500.00 ish. Hope this helps.
P.S. I stand corrected as mentioned in my post below. Add a 5-10% premium to the numbers above.

The Marti Report on the car is where I obtained that information.
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Q5 includes the gray rear paint treatment.
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:34 PM
rdnck1
Supporting Member

Garage
Agree with others about seeking input, good question to ask. I'm no Mustang expert by any means but condition adds the most value (#1,2,3,4 or 5) to any car. The condition of this car I do not believe has been mentioned. Rarity and appeal comes in second even on cars such as a Boss or a SCJ etc. Even then, condition plays a big role, just makes a bigger impact on the dollar signs. The right combination does add value but would guess, in this case, not having A/C may actually take 5-10% off the value. Good luck, Jim

Do your own research, I'm just a work in progress
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
As Rick and others have noted, the added or decreased value based upon a particular original color is likely a small percentage of the overall value. In general, optional equipment level and condition are more important factors when zeroing in on current value.

Keep in mind however, the sale-abilty of a car painted a particular color might be enhanced if it is "popular" either when new or now. The same car in a less "popular" color may sit on the showroom floor for an extended period of time looking for someone who appreciates that color or, someone who is willing to look beyond the color when making a buying decision.
4ocious likes this.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsmatau View Post
The fact is even the rarest of Mustangs were likely 1/500 at best.
I think some builds are much scarcer than people think with engine code, exterior, color, interior, and MT or AT alone being the factors!

Some rough examples:

1965 Fastbacks with pony interior (63B)
Produced 5,776
Of those estimated 3.8% in Raven Black exterior would be only 219...
then take the different pony interior choices and whether it was manual transmission or automatic and it gets much smaller... that's not even looking at T/C/A/K engine codes!

1965 Convertibles with standard interior (76A)
Produced 65,663
Of those lets take a high percentage of 4% being GT, 2,626
and of those 3.6% in Arcadian blue for only 95!
Then, narrow down further by A/K engine code or M/T or A/T for A-codes.

floovb, floovb, vwomp, vwomp (sound of a bad tire driving)
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Colletta View Post
I have the Marti Report.

If a client feels that his or car is worth more because of a certain feature or designation, I have an obligation to do the research into it. This is a very simple business premise that most people ignore when doing their work, regardless of their profession.
Brittany Blue was a fairly popular colour. Certainly far more than 9.

What is the purpose for your customers appraisal? Is it for insurance? Is it to sell? Is it to buy? Is it for probate? This is important because it determines how important it is to be accurate in your appraised value.

Your customers car is more valuable as Brittany Blue but only compared to an unpopular colour like brown. That is not much help is it?

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1968 Mustang California Special
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Yep, those three features alone tell me it's a damn attractive and nice combination, right from the factory.. The options (like interior decor group and exterior decor group with rear panel) alone carry their own stand-alone values..

But as a combination, the blue/blue in deluxe with the dark-argent rear, that's a shade more valuable and desirable than your average Mustang. I'd say 5%-10%.
Rick, I believe you are not correctly answering the question. The question was is Brittany Blue/Dark Argent worth more than other colours/Dark Argent.

I believe the correct answer is zero percent increase.

Brittany Blue/Dark Argent is not worth more than Acapulco Blue/Dark argent or Red/Dark Argent. et cetera. It is worth more compared to Brown/Dark Argent or Purple/Dark Argent. You simply cannot realistically come up with what that value difference is. It all depends on so many factors. This discussion is so theoretical to be pointless.
69DroptopGT likes this.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1968 Mustang California Special
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprince View Post
Brittany Blue was a fairly popular colour. Certainly far more than 9.

What is the purpose for your customers appraisal? Is it for insurance? Is it to sell? Is it to buy? Is it for probate? This is important because it determines how important it is to be accurate in your appraised value.

Your customers car is more valuable as Brittany Blue but only compared to an unpopular colour like brown. That is not much help is it?

It is a valuation appraisal for insurance underwriting purposes.
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenFlow View Post
I think some builds are much scarcer than people think with engine code, exterior, color, interior, and MT or AT alone being the factors!

Some rough examples:

1965 Fastbacks with pony interior (63B)
Produced 5,776
Of those estimated 3.8% in Raven Black exterior would be only 219...
then take the different pony interior choices and whether it was manual transmission or automatic and it gets much smaller... that's not even looking at T/C/A/K engine codes!

1965 Convertibles with standard interior (76A)
Produced 65,663
Of those lets take a high percentage of 4% being GT, 2,626
and of those 3.6% in Arcadian blue for only 95!
Then, narrow down further by A/K engine code or M/T or A/T for A-codes.
You just proved my point. A Shelby or a Boss9 are god examples of relatively rare Mustangs. A '65 fastback isn't. Even if you narrowed it down to the most desirable options with a K code GT, you really don't approach a "rare" car (highly desirable yes, but not rare in a collector sense).
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pprince View Post
Rick, I believe you are not correctly answering the question. The question was is Brittany Blue/Dark Argent worth more than other colours/Dark Argent.

I believe the correct answer is zero percent increase.

Brittany Blue/Dark Argent is not worth more than Acapulco Blue/Dark argent or Red/Dark Argent. et cetera. It is worth more compared to Brown/Dark Argent or Purple/Dark Argent. You simply cannot realistically come up with what that value difference is. It all depends on so many factors. This discussion is so theoretical to be pointless.
My understanding of the general question, was whether the total-combination of a nice looking original exterior color, with an appealing/matching/complimenting interior color (in other words, not plain ol' black), along with the factory rear panel (which is indeed a pretty rare and attractive little feature) could affect/pump a value.

I didn't ever see where the question was purely regarding the exterior color alone. Unless I'm missing something.

In any case, it's just a matter of context.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page