Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1966 Lower Control Arm?

791 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  awhtx 
#1 ·
Been a while since I took my car apart. When mounting the lower control arms, the hex head goes in the rear towards the bolt on crossmember and the nut/lock washer go forward?

#2 · (Edited)
They should be installed going from front to back as in the head of the bolt will be on the front side of the LCA and the nut will be on the rear half of the LCA. Here is a great video to watch when disassembling/re-assembling it, go to the 3:05 point in the video for taking the bolts out and you can clearly see the head of the bolt on the front half of the LCA. For the re-installing the bolts... go to the 14:40 point in the video and like the guy said, put the bolt for the LCA in and put the washer/nut on there but don't tighten it up all the way until after you lower the car and it's back on the ground, just tighten it up by hand. If you do tighten it up all the way you'll likely mess up the bushings on the inside of the LCA bolt hole.

#3 ·
For some reason I was thinking the bolt had to go in from the front- if from the rear, you wouldn't be able to pull it out without hitting the lower tube x-member brace. That is of course unless you have one of Z's on there!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.