Vinyl top replacement - need recommendation - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Vinyl top replacement - need recommendation

Replacing the black vinyl top on my ‘65, and it appears that there are several options in terms of manufacturers.
Any recommendations in terms of which brand to go with? Legendary from NPD? Scott Drake?
Also - seems like there’s the “correct”/bigger grain pattern available at an extra cost. Do we like this for the extra cost?
Any input from experienced vinyl top installers would be appreciated!
Thanks!

1965 Mustang GT Coupe - K code
Numbers-matching 331 stroker
Dealer-installed 3x2V Performance Kit
JBA Tri-Y's

Last edited by 65GTKcar; 01-19-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 05:47 PM

I've installed a couple, but don't recall the brand. I would suggest staying away from anything that has a fleece type backing, it can tend to make the top look lumpy and isn't the oem type backing. You didn't say if you're installing yourself or paying to have it done. For installation, I like to find the center of the roof and snap a chalk line front to rear, then find the center of the vinyl top and cut a small notch front and rear for alignment with the chalk line. I start with spray glue at the center line and apply it in roughly 10"-12" strips working towards the outside, pulling the top snug and even as I go while making sure the seams down each side are straight and evenly spaced from side. If you're a first timer, you might want to consider buying vinyl 2 tops.....just in case.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I've installed a couple, but don't recall the brand. I would suggest staying away from anything that has a fleece type backing, it can tend to make the top look lumpy and isn't the oem type backing. You didn't say if you're installing yourself or paying to have it done. For installation, I like to find the center of the roof and snap a chalk line front to rear, then find the center of the vinyl top and cut a small notch front and rear for alignment with the chalk line. I start with spray glue at the center line and apply it in roughly 10"-12" strips working towards the outside, pulling the top snug and even as I go while making sure the seams down each side are straight and evenly spaced from side. If you're a first timer, you might want to consider buying vinyl 2 tops.....just in case.
Thanks for the input, @Lightning. I am having a guy that works at an upholstery shop come over and do it for me under the table, but I'm in charge of getting the materials. For something like this I would much rather have someone experienced do it.

JBA Tri-Y's

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:09 PM

Garage
Please keep us updated with your progress. I'm interested in seeing how it goes, what problems you have, and to hear about your success!

Bill

6F07C
Color: Y
Trim: 22
Axle: 6
Trans: 6
Build Date: July 18, 1966

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 11:49 PM
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GTKcar View Post
Thanks for the input, @Lightning. I am having a guy that works at an upholstery shop come over and do it for me under the table, but I'm in charge of getting the materials. For something like this I would much rather have someone experienced do it.
Have you researched if both your windshields need to be removed?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastang68 View Post
Have you researched if both your windshields need to be removed?
I have both windows out because it's also getting painted right now, so that decision was already made for me.
Fastang68 likes this.

JBA Tri-Y's
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
When you say fleece do you mean that white cotton looking material?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastang68 View Post
When you say fleece do you mean that white cotton looking material?
Yes. Its fuzzy
Fastang68 likes this.

65 coupe 5.0L/5 speed
2001 Lightning #1757
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes. Its fuzzy
I guess I thought that they all have the fuzzy/fleece backing, no?

JBA Tri-Y's
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:28 PM

You may want to pass the attached on to your installer.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965-66 Vinyl Top I.S. 1888 - 1 of 2.jpg (314.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1965-66 Vinyl Top I.S. 1888 - 2 of 2.jpg (262.8 KB, 18 views)
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GTKcar View Post
Replacing the black vinyl top on my ‘65, and it appears that there are several options in terms of manufacturers.
Any recommendations in terms of which brand to go with? Legendary from NPD? Scott Drake?
Also - seems like there’s the “correct”/bigger grain pattern available at an extra cost. Do we like this for the extra cost?
Any input from experienced vinyl top installers would be appreciated!
Thanks!
It took me a bit to chime-in on this, because I discovered that our vinyl top selections are a bit of a "mess" in our catalog and online. I'll try to keep it simple.

The correct vinyl top for your '65 would be one with "integral A-pillars".

We carry two levels of quality, the lesser quality being manufactured by Acme (VT-50-AS) and the best-quality being manufactured by Legendary (VT-56-A).

The PRIMARY DIFFERENCE between the more-expensive Legendary, and pretty much any/every other brand that's out there, is the correctness of the Levant grain.

As far as I know, Legendary and only Legendary has Levant vinyl that is dead-nuts correct and accurate to original. The Levant that everyone else is using does not have near the level of depth and definition. It looks like someone hit the vinyl with a giant flat-iron.

I realize that $318.95 is pricey for a vinyl top... But since a K-code is a fairly high-dollar car, you might consider taking the plunge on this one. Side by side, the difference is very noticeable.

Rick
NPD
66#3 likes this.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Does anyone make a replacement vinyl top in a parchment color? Or something close? I haven't had luck finding one and assumed when it came time to do mine I'd be working with just a sheet of vinyl and cutting it to fit on the fly...

Still quite a ways out from doing mine but I've got a doc with notes already started based on my exterior body/cosmetic work for when I'm ready. I'm simply enjoying driving the car until then

'67 GT Coupe, 302, T5
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Does anyone make a replacement vinyl top in a parchment color? Or something close? I haven't had luck finding one and assumed when it came time to do mine I'd be working with just a sheet of vinyl and cutting it to fit on the fly...

Still quite a ways out from doing mine but I've got a doc with notes already started based on my exterior body/cosmetic work for when I'm ready. I'm simply enjoying driving the car until then

Parchment was not a factory option from Ford, you could only get black or white. Keep in mind that the white was "Ford White", which is a very creamy white. The top in your photo looks to be Ford White to me..

I've seem Parchment tops on 65-68 Mustangs before, but believe them to be dealer-installed or later-in-life-installed.

I would not attempt to fab-up a vinyl top yourself.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Parchment was not a factory option from Ford, you could only get black or white. Keep in mind that the white was "Ford White", which is a very creamy white. The top in your photo looks to be Ford White to me..

I've seem Parchment tops on 65-68 Mustangs before, but believe them to be dealer-installed or later-in-life-installed.

I would not attempt to fab-up a vinyl top yourself.

Interesting Thanks for that info! I assumed "white" meant "white"... I'll have to see what the "white" ones on the market truly look like colorwise. I always assumed it was just parchment as it pretty much matched my interior and figured the color difference was years of exterior abuse vs. interior not being in the open elements.

'67 GT Coupe, 302, T5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page