What's the right grease to use on window tracks and rollers? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 10Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

What's the right grease to use on window tracks and rollers?

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to install all the door glass and hardware. What is the right grease to use on the tracks and rollers for the windows?

Thanks in advance ~ Lenny B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 AM

Garage
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Garage
Lithium grease. To quote GypsyR;
"One real advantage of lithium is that it "skins over" as it dries. So unlike other lubes it doesn't attract every single piece of flying dust/grit/etc so the overspray doesn't turn into massive greasy dustbunnies."
Daisy and image98 like this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:26 AM

WCCC recommends this product. Goes on nice, doesnt harden, not affected by hot/cold and moisture resistant. Can also be used on brake caliper slide pins.

https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-p...ant/752442_0_0
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:56 AM

I used Super Lube 41160 Synthetic Grease due to a couple of suggestions I received. Best part about it is it is food grade so i can eat off my window sliders if i want

Mike the old grump likes this.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Avoid the white lithium. It gums up and becomes tacky after a while.

I used some synthetic all purpose automotive grease (the green stuff) and it's been good for over a year.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:32 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
I noticed the lithium grease the factory used in the window tracks and such did indeed seem to have become gummed up and tacky. Took about 40 years though. The lithium "lifetime body grease" part number Ford specified back in the '60's has long been superceded by Motorcraft "Multi-purpose grease" in the spray can from the dealership these days. It's essentially the same lithium based lube but amber colored because they left out the zinc which gave the older version the white coloration. Aftermarket spray lithium usually still has zinc in it and will be white. Kind of hard to make a stronger recommendation than what Ford Motor Company says to use.

A large percentage of other multi-purpose greases like for wheels bearings and multi-purpose "synthetics" also use lithium as an ingredient. The off-brand ones won't say so though, even on their MSDS sheets. Bearing maker Timken has it's line of lubricants and doesn't care about being secretive. They list pretty much exactly what their different greases are composed of and most include lithium. So if you are trying to avoid using lithium as a lubricant, well, good luck with that.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:42 PM

I just did my quarter window internals and used lithium grease. I'll do the same with the fronts in a bit. Lithium greases are common in roller track assemblies that see far greater duty cycles and stress than our windows will see.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:46 PM

I have always used Lubriplate white lithium in the big squeeze tube.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:50 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Another take on this that maybe makes me come off less like a know-it-all. After reworking the window regulators on the '68 I used to own back in the '80's, I used amber wheel bearing grease as track lube. Because that's what I had. Worked great. Sometime after that my company got a three month contract beachside and I took my car. (Off-season, cold and windy.) A few months after I was disassembling those tracks again and cleaning every single bit of that grease back out again and replacing it with lithium. It was not fun but I kind of needed my windows to roll up and down. On the bright side, that was back before I learned that Ford's nasty black "moly' EP grease was the best chassis grease around.

And in case you didn't read between the lines there- sand. Lots of it. I traded off that car like five years later and sand would still sometimes fall out of the doors/rocker/trunk/whatever when you slammed the door. All our work trucks were the same way.

.... it wouldn't be the first time reality took theory and conjecture out behind the woodshed and gave them a good thrashing.
I have some cars. With a long list of parts on them that if anyone was interested in, they'd ask.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Another take on this that maybe makes me come off less like a know-it-all. After reworking the window regulators on the '68 I used to own back in the '80's, I used amber wheel bearing grease as track lube. Because that's what I had. Worked great. Sometime after that my company got a three month contract beachside and I took my car. (Off-season, cold and windy.) A few months after I was disassembling those tracks again and cleaning every single bit of that grease back out again and replacing it with lithium. It was not fun but I kind of needed my windows to roll up and down. On the bright side, that was back before I learned that Ford's nasty black "moly' EP grease was the best chassis grease around.

And in case you didn't read between the lines there- sand. Lots of it. I traded off that car like five years later and sand would still sometimes fall out of the doors/rocker/trunk/whatever when you slammed the door. All our work trucks were the same way.

Yeah sand will stick to that grease like nothing else.

That sand reminds me of living in Hawaii. The old granada wagon was still full of sand after we moved to TX. Always liked the rental cars in Hawaii as they had vinyl/rubber floors and drain holes in the floor so they could hose them out.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:13 PM

Just be careful when choosing. I used some good axle bearing grease on my 68 because that is what I had lying around. It works grease, but stinks like axle crease when it gets hot out. The whole car smelled like it for about a year. I would use white lithium because it doesn’t have much scent.

Flade
68 289 convertible Candy-apple red & white
66 200 coupe Blue
94 GT convertible Red & black
98 GT convertible White & black
98 V6 convertible White & tan

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Castrol GTX Brown Bearing Grease in a tub. It's the closest to the Original Ford Window Roller Grease. Great for Door hinges, Inner Door locks as well. Forget White Lithium Grease....It doesn't look Original, and it dries up within 2-3 years..

Been using this stuff below for over 30+ years...

This is the right stuff pictured.....Available at most Wal-Marts... It's labeled "Multi-Purpose Wheel Bearing Grease"......It will last for decades..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Castrol GTX Brown Bearing Grease.jpg (25.8 KB, 117 views)

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 01-23-2019 at 11:32 PM.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:40 PM

@NEFaurora Tony you may want to take a look at the data sheet for that grease. Specifically what it's using as a thickener.
GypsyR likes this.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:07 PM
BJS

Lithium White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page