Letís talk steering wheels 65/66 - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 22Likes

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:46 PM

Why is there always so much hate for the Grant wheels? I think that looks perfect in your car.
2nd 66 and arbys like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 PM
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd 66 View Post
Meh it was free 15" Grant Walnut, custom horn
Ah, the old finger chopper. I had one for years and got tired of fearing for my knuckles every time it returned to center. Classic look though.

The custom horn is rad.
Huntingky and 2nd 66 like this.

The anvil of reality.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 PM

I think the OP was asking if there were different diameter steering wheels depending upon whether the car was PS equipped or not. To which my answer would be: not to my knowledge. I think they all used the same 15" diameter steering wheel.
Huntingky likes this.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
I think the OP was asking if there were different diameter steering wheels depending upon whether the car was PS equipped or not. To which my answer would be: not to my knowledge. I think they all used the same 15" diameter steering wheel.
OE steering wheels are 16"

Brad
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
But what ever, it’ll be 15” with a thick rim to get a good grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
It would be either a Mota Lita or Le Carra. Everything else after that outside the stock wheel looks like junk to me. Not trying to be a snob or anything but they all look cheap and horrible.
Which Moto Lita? I bought a wood one direct from England and the rim was very skinny. I ended up selling it right away.

The FIV / EFFPI Secura are awesome with nice size rim, but do carry a high price tag.

floovb, floovb, vwomp, vwomp (sound of a bad tire driving)
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM

I’ve got an original style 16” wheel and will have to switch to a 15” soon. At 6’4” my left knee hits the wheel when I shift, so it gets tough when I’m turning at the same time. I just really like the classic look of the originals. I’m interested in what others are looking at. The Moto-lita looks very nice.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart

Last edited by Quicksilver66; 01-25-2019 at 09:06 AM.
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:29 PM

I have the 14" wooden LeCarra from Tony Branda...it is GORGEOUS and fits in very well with my 65 interior. I think the slightly smaller diameter is also more comfortable. The only thing you have to do is to also get a shorter turn signal indicator...I got mine from NPD. Also, I still can't get my horn to work, but that is being nit-pickey I think...with the deluxe interior, the wooden wheel looks fantastic.

Strong Truths Well Lived
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:12 PM

@sishac, do post a pic please.
66Ccode likes this.
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:54 PM

Garage
I got the Moto-Lita 15" for my '65 GT-350 Tribute build. It looks great and is correct for the era, but the rim is a bit skinny for spirited driving.

I am planning to add a quick-release so I can quickly change to a performance steering wheel for autocross.

65 Mustang Fastback / Shelby GT350-Themed Restomod
2019 Shelby GT350
"There's never enough horsepower - Just not enough traction." - Carroll Shelby
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrud View Post
I got the Moto-Lita 15" for my '65 GT-350 Tribute build. It looks great and is correct for the era, but the rim is a bit skinny for spirited driving.

I am planning to add a quick-release so I can quickly change to a performance steering wheel for autocross.

Moto-Lita has a fatter wheel I believe. Is yours the regular one? Thanks.

1966 GT 2+2 - 347, Edelbrock carb, Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 9Ē rear and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Follow me on Instacart
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:00 PM

Garage
Moto-Lita makes many different styles including several with larger rims. I got this model for street & show use. It was the primary steering wheel used on the '65 street-version GT-350.

Here's a link to Moto-Lita: https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering...y-mustang-oem/

2019 Shelby GT350
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrud View Post
Moto-Lita makes many different styles including several with larger rims. I got this model street & show use. It was the primary steering wheel used on the '65 street-version GT-350.

Here's a link to Moto-Lita: https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering...y-mustang-oem/
That’s a very nice piece. I wonder what are the differences between that one and the Mark 3.

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering...od-rim-dished/

How did you mount it to the steering column?

Follow me on Instacart

Last edited by Quicksilver66; 01-26-2019 at 11:40 PM.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver66 View Post
How did you mount it to the steering column?
Tony Branda sells an aluminum hub that fits. They also sell this hub as part of a kit which includes a steering wheel that I suspect is the Moto-Lita steering wheel, but I'm not sure.
1965 Shelby & Cobra Splined Aluminum Hub

I encountered one minor snafu. Moto-Lita includes a set of 6 flat socket head cap screws to attach the wheel to the hub. The beveled shoulder of these screws are intended to fit down into beveled recesses in the steering wheel. When I tried to install them, I found that the wheel recesses were not wide/deep enough to allow the screw top to sink down even with the wheel surface. The six screws protruded above the wheel surface. Since the Shelby emblem is supposed to adhere to this surface, this doesn't provide adequate surface area for it to properly attach. The steering wheel metal is only 0.192" thick, so I didn't want to open up these holes any wider and deeper as this would thin the metal around the holes more that I was comfortable with. Instead, I ground down the tops of the screws until they fit flush with the wheel.

2019 Shelby GT350
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 06:36 AM

For a power steering car, I love a13" wheel. Gives acres of leg room and a responsive feel. I'm running an old Grant Signature series, satin black, its old and worn should be replaced eventually. I have said this many times before, I love the look and feel of an old school Mustang interior. Push button radio, Dick and Jane simplicity, so I do not want a wheel that draws the eye but rather blends in without distraction. The last thing I want when someone looks in my car is to have them complement me on a catalog steering wheel. I also won't run aftermarket gauges or stereos that hang below or dominate the dash. I would get the same wheel again as I use my Flowmasters when I need to get someone's attention ;o). Most people hate Grants due to the cheap horn buttons that overheat which is undeniable, and a few cheap designs were overdone ad-nausium in the 1970s like the three spoke with metalflake plastic rim and chrome horn button. However, some of them are very cool looking and if you get a Mustang replacement horn button, nobody would know its a Grant. Best to use a relay with a Grant if you find one you like.

Most tracks in real racing and some in track days won't pass a wood wheel in tech due to the shards created on impact. Since hearing that, I won't do wood, got no need for shards when mom reaches back to smack junior and crosses the double yellow in her SUV...

Heavy Metal Thunder Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW3L_O7N_xs
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM

I've been looking for a steering wheel for my 1970 Mach 1. The factory Rim Blow wheel is thrashed and requires restoration. I need a wheel for the car while the Rim Blow is being restored and also for sport driving.

I've seen a very limited selection thus far. The Moto-Lita wheels appear pretty spiffy, but also "flat". I need a wheel with a lot of "dish". As it is, my knees hit the factory wheel when I'm using the clutch. I was hoping to find something smaller in diameter with the same amount of dish. Haven't found anything thus far.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page