VMFers willing to do a brother a solid, I'm looking for somebody to take a look at a - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 30Likes

post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:19 PM

Is a red vert with mat black hood? If so it's a very clean and Nicely redone car from what I've seen. I used to live there till 2017 otherwise I'd be more than willing to look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 PM

I went and looked at one for a fellow Mustanger who lives half way around the world. Then I drove one 1300 miles to to keep at my house for him for about 8 months. And we had never even met each other until he came here to drive it for the first time. And now we are best of friends. I wouldn't trade for anything, not even money. Try it sometime, it might be a rewarding experience!
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
I went and looked at one for a fellow Mustanger who lives half way around the world. Then I drove one 1300 miles to to keep at my house for him for about 8 months. And we had never even met each other until he came here to drive it for the first time. And now we are best of friends. I wouldn't trade for anything, not even money. Try it sometime, it might be a rewarding experience!
That's cool that you did what you did for another member. If a member needed someone to look at a local, to me, car with them or even needed someone to go look at it by themselves because they were unable to do so, if I had the time off work to go look at it, I would probably do just that. That being said... I value my time off and enjoy spending it with my family and friends, so if the car they wanted to look at was hours or hundreds of miles away, I probably wouldn't be interested in driving there alone. Maybe if the potential "buyer" was driving there with me but probably not by myself. Also, I don't live anywhere near Rockwell, TX.

Last edited by MUSTANG65FBK3; 01-27-2019 at 03:01 PM.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 12:28 AM
Supporting Member

Steven,

Your inquiry does put me off in the least. If I were in that area I would have no issues taken a peek at it a letting yo7 know what
I found.
That said, I would expect my findings to just be additional information, not the sole deciding factors; firming up what you had already chatted about with the seller via telephone and email.

Seems to me one of the better parts of this hobbies is people willing to roll up sleeves and lend a hand.

My .02 for what it is worth.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:34 AM

Better hurry before Richard Rowlings (sp?) shows up and you see this on a Gas Monkey Garage episode.....

Roddster
67 GT 350: MCA & SAAC Gold winner
67 S code GTA coupe
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys, it's an cherry red vert with a white top and shelby ten spoke rims, looks great by the photos but photos can lie.
Kwaz, I can wait a few weeks, I'm thankful for the offer, I'll PM you the address.
Kwaz likes this.
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Ward Jr. View Post
Thanks for all the input guys, it's an cherry red vert with a white top and shelby ten spoke rims, looks great by the photos but photos can lie.
Kwaz, I can wait a few weeks, I'm thankful for the offer, I'll PM you the address.

Gonna go see the car around noon today. Anything you would like me to look for in particular? I will delve deep and give you as much info as i can

Roadkill and Harbor Freight enthusiast
Rust-bucket 1969 Mustang Mach 1. Build thread link!
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Garage
VMFers willing to do a brother a solid, I'm looking for somebody to take a look at a

Okay, so here’s the car!

I went to go look at it Saturday. It was 30-40° outside, rainy and cold. So the following are the best photos i could take before the cold killed my iphone battery and rendered the movements of my hands useless.

I am not entirely sure what quality of car you’re looking for, but i would render this one “driver quality”.

At face value, the car looked very nice. I found no problems with the interior, and the car is very solid. All torqueboxes are good, all frame rails and floors looked solid and straight.

The car is an H-code car, with a 351W, auto trans, and a factory 9-inch rear. It runs and drives, shifts very nice, and has manual brakes. The steering wheel has been replaced to a smaller diameter wheel, but there was no excessive play in the power steering, and it actually drove very nice. The only driving issue i found was that the front tires are too big, and if you turn too sharply, you will hear the tires rub on the fender trim.

This car has been garaged most of its life, bought by the current owner about 10 years ago from the original owner. Because of this, there is no fade in either the paint or the glass, which were both, at face value, in decent shape.

There were no cracks in the shock towers, and the cowl is solid- no rust. The trunk dropoffs also were solid, no rust through that i could see. There is some surface rust starting in the trunk area, which is not a huge problem at all. The mounting location of the left shock tower brace was bent slightly downward, however i would chalk it up to body flex/wear after 50 years. This car looked very original. An export brace would take care of this issue.

I could not find a buck tag anywhere, but the VIN was there. Unfortunately, the plate was sitting low and i couldn’t make out the entire thing. But from the first digits, i could see it was a 69 H-code.

It’s a power steering, A/C equipped convertible. The car was running for about 45 mins and there was no fluid leaking on the ground anywhere. The oil looked good, the trans fluid looked good, and the coolant was very clean. The owner doesn’t drive it much, but he runs his cars every once in awhile to keep them in good condition. He said he *maybe put ~2000 miles on it during his ownership.

It was a great looking car, and would be the perfect candidate if you’re looking to have a great 69 mustang needing a little bit of work. This condition of car is what would’ve been perfect for me- a mostly original, relatively untouched, solid 69 mustang that, with a little bit of work, would be the perfect weekend driver.

Here are the “issues” i found with the car:
-Gauge cluster lights were inop
-backup lights were inop
-the middle weatherstripping/hinge/seal of the rear convertible window was missing, allowing water in if sitting outside.
-front wheel rub on the fender trim
-the left quarter window alignment was off
-the right door alignment was off
-there were issues getting it started. I later figured out that the fuel line going from the fender to the pump was rotted out. Easy fix.
-A/C blows, but not cold
-unsure if radio works
-cracking bondo job found on rear left quarter panel behind wheel well
-small amount of rust bubble found on rear left quarter panel
-cracking paint found in many places on the car
-small cosmetic issues, such as front right trim (pictured)
-cut out found in the front left shock tower
-convertible top works, but mechanism is a little rough/slow. Owner said there might be “air in the system” (i don’t know much about convertibles)
-couple of chips in the paint
-rear right quarter panel has been replaced (this isn’t really a big issue, just an observation)

My biggest concern of this car (if i was going to judge this car pretty hard) is the paint cracking. I found it on the top of the rear quarters, the tail panel, the front right fender, and some on the doors. Maybe the car was repainted in the past? I was informed that the motor was rebuilt (a long time ago, pre-2000’s most likely)

I will include more photos in my next post! I spent 2 hours looking at this car. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Kelly_H likes this.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:26 AM

Garage

VIN tag, was kind of hard to make out.

Original driveshaft still has the paint bands

9-inch rear still has the axle tag

Front valance paint chipping

Paint chipping, front right fender

Bondo cracking, behind left rear wheel well. The only place that my magnet picked up bondo.

Rust bubbling, top of rear left quarter panel

Paint damage, rear left quarter

Pictured: behind the right shock tower. Brake line looked a little wet.

Trim “damage”, from front tire rub.

Small crack in fan shroud

View: inside trunk, looking to the right. Easy to tell that the rear right quarter was replaced

Coolant looks good

Cut out in front left shock tower.

Temp gauge was inop, however there was an aftermarket one installed to mitigate this.

Trunk floor condition- this is the worst of it, which isn’t bad at all. Just dirty, with a few specks of rust

Front right trim, cosmetic issue
Kelly_H likes this.

post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
Wheels look pretty good

Front right fender mounting location

Convertible top condition

Trunk

The trunk still has original spare tire, jack, tire iron, etc. pretty cool! There’s some spare trim pieces, door hinges, and a few other things back there.

Front view

I forgot to mention that the battery tray is rusted out. Needs replacement

Trunk dropoff

Tag on front of engine bay

Missing rear window seal

Front steering/suspension

Torqueboxes
Kelly_H likes this.

post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
Wow. I want you to look over my next car... well done.
JSHarvey, Brent, WestSD and 2 others like this.

post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Car has a lot of hidden issues that aren't going to get any better with time. Looks to have been resprayed at least twice. Paint might be lacquer, which would explain the cracking. It has a complete strip to bare metal and respray in it's future.

Looking at the underside, you can assume the car was a pleasure car for the owner and one before that. You could assume that pretty much everything is worn out as it only received the maintenance or repairs it needed, not any sort of real restoration work.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:38 PM

Just wanted to say that Kwaz, you're awesome - great to see VMFers looking out for one another and even braving terrible weather to do so

It does look like a pretty reasonable cruiser/driver car if the price is right. The paint is the worst of it - looks like someone just failed to prep correctly so paint is sheeting off (poor adhesion) or swelling/cracking (problems with outgassing solvent). If that doesn't bother you, then it could be a great choice for a rolling restoration or just a car that gets updated/maintained as needed. It's an especially good sign that it drove/steered well and didn't leak, considering the poor reputation for leaks that the stock power steering system seems to have.
Trikk and Kwaz like this.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kwaz, that's a really great inspection, I really appreciate the effort!
I'll be taking all this into account, thanks again!
Kwaz likes this.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:49 PM

Incredible inspection!!

I'd run from that car as fast as you can

69/70 convertibles are a tough sell. I'd find a minter and grab a deal on it
Kwaz likes this.

1965-1968 Mustangs imported, prepared and sold in the U.K. and throughout a Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page