How well does the Retrosound Hermosa install into the stock bezel/bracket - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
I put the Hermosa in my 66 and other than some shimming everything fit great out of box. The last pic is the vertical strap I installed. This is really the main support for the unit

Attachment 713728

Attachment 713730

Attachment 713732
Thank you for the pics.

If I am looking at your pics correctly, it looks like you put the chrome/plastic bezel behind the dash? I was trying to install the chrome/plastic bezel on the outside of the dash facing the interior. I'll try it your way and see if that works.

One question for you on how you mounted the strap. Did you try installing the speaker grill cover to make sure it will sit down all the way with the screw there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Thank you for the pics.

If I am looking at your pics correctly, it looks like you put the chrome/plastic bezel behind the dash? I was trying to install the chrome/plastic bezel on the outside of the dash facing the interior. I'll try it your way and see if that works.

One question for you on how you mounted the strap. Did you try installing the speaker grill cover to make sure it will sit down all the way with the screw there?
Yes, Chrome from behind the dash.

Not sure my car was stock or not when I got it but what came out was the dash pad and speaker/defrost grill. That grill sits in the dash pad, at least what came out of my car. So yes it fits but not sure if stock. If down the road I find interference, I'll put in a countersunk screw head.

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Reviving this one...

Iíve spent the last 3 hours trying to get a Hermosa into my factory original 64.5 dash. I must have had the radio in and out 20 times trying to get it in the dash and it appears that the chrome ďface plateĒ with the push buttons and the display is too wide to actually fit through the hole for the factory radio. I can get it to stay in pace by tightening down the knob shafts against the dash, but there is a gap between the face plate and the dash caused by the fact that the face plate wonít come through the hole.

If I put the bezel on it, it covers the gap and if I crank down some shaft nuts on the bezel it stays in place (although I doubt it would stay in place like that for very long on the road), but it seems the face plate should fit through the factory hole without any trouble.

Did you have any issues fitting yours into the dash?
I seem to recall that I had mine in and out 5-6 times in order to get the knobs set correctly (most of the tweaking had to do with the depth of the knobs).

Pretty sure the bezel gets attached to the radio before it goes in the dash.

Here is a link to an installation video from CJPP. Not the same radio, but similar enough.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/retrosou...1966/p/RSRD44/

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stockish

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
Yes, Chrome from behind the dash.

Not sure my car was stock or not when I got it but what came out was the dash pad and speaker/defrost grill. That grill sits in the dash pad, at least what came out of my car. So yes it fits but not sure if stock. If down the road I find interference, I'll put in a countersunk screw head.
Thank you. I appreciate the help. Iíll try it again with the face plate behind the dash, which seems totally counter intuitive, but if works that way, I guess thatís all that matters.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKoppa View Post
I seem to recall that I had mine in and out 5-6 times in order to get the knobs set correctly (most of the tweaking had to do with the depth of the knobs).

Pretty sure the bezel gets attached to the radio before it goes in the dash.

Here is a link to an installation video from CJPP. Not the same radio, but similar enough.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/retrosou...1966/p/RSRD44/
Thanks!
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:18 PM

The chrome piece should be behind the dash. But someone had chopped up the corners on my dash. Not a full DIN cutout, but enough that it looks terrible with the chrome nosepiece poking though. I ended up painting the "wings" flat black and putting it in front. Wasn't that difficult to set nuts along the shafts to get things in the places they needed to be. Unfortunately, there isn't an insert in the '66 that could be replaced. I think you'd have to redo the entire sheet metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page