How well does the Retrosound Hermosa install into the stock bezel/bracket - Vintage Mustang Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

How well does the Retrosound Hermosa install into the stock bezel/bracket

With my interior "refresh" turning into a full interior restoration I'm going to do the radio as well. Dad had an 80s Kenwood cassette deck that he replaced the original AM only. I still have the original it and it still works! Not too sure about the Kenwood.

It looks like the Retrosound Hermosa is about as close as I'll get (or a closeout Malibu). No Car Play but Bluetooth will work fine. I'm reading that the mounting could be problematic in a stock config with no center console. That's where the radio mounts into a bezel/bracket on the front of the dash with the face slightly kicked up.

Has anyone mounted or had to adapt the Hermosa to my config? It's going to have to be strapped from behind and I'm OK with that but the shaft faces on the bezel have asymmetric rear depths. Worst case I could modify the existing ears for the radio (Retrosound says OK, will not void warranty) or just make so that will adapt the radio to the bezel.

Any hands on with the install to give me a heads up on how it's going to fit would be greatly appreciated.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 02:24 AM

Have you ever thought about something like this?

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...ect-creep.html
Caper50 likes this.

'66 coupe 347 4spd toploader
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:01 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post
With my interior "refresh" turning into a full interior restoration I'm going to do the radio as well. Dad had an 80s Kenwood cassette deck that he replaced the original AM only. I still have the original it and it still works! Not too sure about the Kenwood.

It looks like the Retrosound Hermosa is about as close as I'll get (or a closeout Malibu). No Car Play but Bluetooth will work fine. I'm reading that the mounting could be problematic in a stock config with no center console. That's where the radio mounts into a bezel/bracket on the front of the dash with the face slightly kicked up.

Has anyone mounted or had to adapt the Hermosa to my config? It's going to have to be strapped from behind and I'm OK with that but the shaft faces on the bezel have asymmetric rear depths. Worst case I could modify the existing ears for the radio (Retrosound says OK, will not void warranty) or just make so that will adapt the radio to the bezel.

Any hands on with the install to give me a heads up on how it's going to fit would be greatly appreciated.
I installed the Long Beach into my 67 cougar without console and the install was pretty straightforward. The knob depth is adjustable so there was no concern of the bezel's asymmetric rear depth.
vegasloki likes this.

Robert Icasas

Projects:

67 Cougar
Art Morrison Sport IFS
3-link Rear Suspension
Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56
Build: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/ge...se-enough.html

Brother's 1966 Mustang Restomod
Mustang II front suspension
Torque Arm Rear Suspension
Ridetech Shockwaves
5.0 w/ Viper t56

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 01:08 PM

I put the Hermosa in my '66. The knobs are adjustable L-R, Up-Down and In-Out.

You should be able to make it work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radio.jpg (336.7 KB, 20 views)
rusty1161 and vegasloki like this.

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stockish
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966notch View Post
Have you ever thought about something like this?

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...ect-creep.html
The IR repeater is a good idea. Clever. Were I do do something like that I'd likely just mod the bezel and put a modern Sony touchscreen like I put in the Focus.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Mine's not directly mounted in the dash. There is a plain dash bezel over where the radio would mount directly to the dash.

You can see it a bit here. I don't know why some were in the dash or in that bezel. I like the layout though. This is from before I took it apart.

Here's what it looks like now. The bezel/radio goes in the big hole in the middle of the dash. Looks like any of the Retrosounds won't be an issue. For as much as I'll drive it I could probably get away with a Laguna. A bit of local FM now and then but mostly podcasts, TV audio or music from my phone. Having an aux in wire instead of Bluetooth isn't a deal breaker.

Caper50 likes this.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:28 AM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
RetroSound Model II, discontinued a couple of years ago in favor of (I think) the new Long Beach which is the same but added a feature to it. The ivory knobs were ordered separately. It fit nice and snug and didn't require the back support strap. Concerns about fitment to the offset bezel mount locations aren't necessary. As others have stated, RetroSound models adjust for those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wleDZCi.jpg (173.3 KB, 17 views)
vegasloki likes this.

Last edited by 4ocious; 01-29-2019 at 03:31 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info gang. It's much appreciated. I just bought a close out Malibu. Bluetooth, 2 x Aux, 2 x USB and made for iPhone connectivity but I don't know if it works with the XS. It was only $229. I was going to get a Laguna from Crutchfield for $189 (with the olde tyme screen protectors for $8 discounted)but it's a drop ship and Retrosound won't drop ship to NV because they're here and have to collect tax if they ship it. When I went to the Retro site to get it it was $199 and I figured for $30 more the Bluetooth alone was worth it even if the iPhone feature didn't work with the new phones.

I thought long and hard and almost bought the modern Sony but being I won't drive so much, a few thousand miles a year, and the car is so easy to break in to the last thing I wanted was someone to look in and see a modern stereo. It'll just look like an old push button radio. I just need to get a good constant source (using the normal connection for the switched source). Whomever did the Kenwood for Dad stuck a spade lug into the feed side of one of the circuits in the fuse box and that was that. It was pretty hillbilly. I'm sure I can find a constant source somewhere under there.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasloki View Post
I'm sure I can find a constant source somewhere under there.
I think the cigarette lighter is always hot (on a '66 at least).
vegasloki likes this.

1966 Sprint 200
Mostly stockish
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKoppa View Post
I think the cigarette lighter is always hot (on a '66 at least).
Thanks! It sure does. Or at least it did until I shorted the lighter well sleeve with the tip when removing the test probe.

I plan to replace the lighter socket with a USB port anyway so it will be easy tag a connector on that circuit when I make the switch. The only issue is I'm having trouble finding a USB port that matches what came on the cars when they left the factory...
BigKoppa likes this.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 06:36 PM

I've got an older model but looking at the hermosa it looks like the packaging of the stereo is basically the same and it mounted without issue. The knobs were adjustable as needed to make it fit right. You're welcome to check mine out in person anytime if interested... That goes for anything honestly...

vegasloki likes this.

'67 GT Coupe, 302, T5
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. Got it installed yesterday. Piece of cake. The replacement speakers when Dad put the Kenwood in during the 80s are pretty bad. It's two three inchers next to each other. I'll get a double coil single frame to replace it eventually. The link to the iPhone works well as does Bluetooth and everything else. Tapped off the lighter power for the constant, used the stock 3 pole connector for the switched power. Powered up no problem. Not like my heater blower motor that's seized. With the new interior almost all in. Should have checked it sooner but the new plenum looks good. Anyway, the radio is good...

Brent and englishman like this.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKoppa View Post
I put the Hermosa in my '66. The knobs are adjustable L-R, Up-Down and In-Out.

You should be able to make it work.
Reviving this one...

I’ve spent the last 3 hours trying to get a Hermosa into my factory original 64.5 dash. I must have had the radio in and out 20 times trying to get it in the dash and it appears that the chrome “face plate” with the push buttons and the display is too wide to actually fit through the hole for the factory radio. I can get it to stay in pace by tightening down the knob shafts against the dash, but there is a gap between the face plate and the dash caused by the fact that the face plate won’t come through the hole.

If I put the bezel on it, it covers the gap and if I crank down some shaft nuts on the bezel it stays in place (although I doubt it would stay in place like that for very long on the road), but it seems the face plate should fit through the factory hole without any trouble.

Did you have any issues fitting yours into the dash?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:20 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
vegasloki, your setup looks seriously great! I'll definitely have to keep that radio in mind if I ever install a radio

Chaplin, hopefully others who've actually installed your same radio will chime in. However, maybe you just have excess paint around the radio opening in the dash?
vegasloki likes this.

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Reviving this one...

I’ve spent the last 3 hours trying to get a Hermosa into my factory original 64.5 dash. I must have had the radio in and out 20 times trying to get it in the dash and it appears that the chrome “face plate” with the push buttons and the display is too wide to actually fit through the hole for the factory radio. I can get it to stay in pace by tightening down the knob shafts against the dash, but there is a gap between the face plate and the dash caused by the fact that the face plate won’t come through the hole.

If I put the bezel on it, it covers the gap and if I crank down some shaft nuts on the bezel it stays in place (although I doubt it would stay in place like that for very long on the road), but it seems the face plate should fit through the factory hole without any trouble.

Did you have any issues fitting yours into the dash?
I put the Hermosa in my 66 and other than some shimming everything fit great out of box. The last pic is the vertical strap I installed. This is really the main support for the unit

radio1.JPG

radio2.JPG

radio 3.JPG

66 Convertible. Full restoration in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page