Front Hub Dimensions - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 17Likes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnall View Post
Interesting thought. I just checked my GT but it is a bit useless as the hub and disc are a 1 piece unit (the hub center is a close match to the hubs I have). CA has 1 piece 11" hub/disc but I would like to be able to replace just the disc and not have to pull the whole assembly. If what you say is correct, that would totally defeat that purpose...

Allen
I am glad you are going down the path of trying to figure this out and sharing the results. I have considered your rotor approach myself. I like the two piece rotors and reuse of the stock hubs.

I have a set of drum brake hubs/drums that I haven’t removed the drums from yet. I am not sure if drum hubs are different from disc hubs in 65-66 and if so I am not sure of what the difference in measurements are. if it is helpful, I can measure my hubs and post a pic.

James

66 Coupe Project 289
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitelbj View Post
I am glad you are going down the path of trying to figure this out and sharing the results. I have considered your rotor approach myself. I like the two piece rotors and reuse of the stock hubs.

I have a set of drum brake hubs/drums that I haven’t removed the drums from yet. I am not sure if drum hubs are different from disc hubs in 65-66 and if so I am not sure of what the difference in measurements are. if it is helpful, I can measure my hubs and post a pic.
I think the measurements would be helpful (if just for reference). I'm not sure if original 65/66 disc had the hub/disc as one piece but I think maybe it did...

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...ml#post3641041

The fifth picture shows exactly that though Eitelbj...

I'll check when I get my brackets and calipers and see where the alignment should be.

Allen
If you do go this route, the studs need to have enough “splines” for the depth of the rotor and hub so that they bite into both when pressed in.

James

66 Coupe Project 289

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
I think the measurements would be helpful (if just for reference). I'm not sure if original 65/66 disc had the hub/disc as one piece but I think maybe it did...

Allen
I will take the drum off the hub then and post a pic with measurements tonight.

James

66 Coupe Project 289
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 12:10 PM

65-67 are actually "two piece"..... hub and rotor joined together mechanically
by the 5 wheel studs. To my knowledge they were always supplied as a whole.
(out of the box already assembled together)
You separated the 65-67 hub from its minuscule rotor when upgrading to the
(original) 6008 rotor..... to create the monster used in D0ZX Trans Am brake
kit.
The rotors are indeed behind the hubs on the 65-67 stock and when upgraded.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Eitelbj likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 01-29-2019 at 12:14 PM.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:37 PM
Supporting Vendor

The hub centric shims we make for our rotor hats have a 3.050" o.d. so look like they are to small for your rotor center bore. I would recommend making something so you can keep the rotor hub centric.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
The hub centric shims we make for our rotor hats have a 3.050" o.d. so look like they are to small for your rotor center bore. I would recommend making something so you can keep the rotor hub centric.

I told him to stop trying to reinvent the wheel, but he called me a crazy old geezer...and to get off his lawn

Mark
GT289 and subpar63 like this.

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:13 PM
Supporting Vendor

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueBP View Post
I told him to stop trying to reinvent the wheel, but he called me a crazy old geezer...and to get off his lawn

Mark
When I spoke with Allen yesterday I told him not to listen to you so maybe its my own dang fault! LOL!
silverblueBP likes this.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

I think someone's still on my lawn...

Allen
subpar63 likes this.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
In exchange for your credit card number I will send you everything you need in a couple of boxes with instructions and tech support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN6W4gbVAGY
You got that yesterday!

I'm thinking at a minimum I'm going to need to buy your hats and rotors with the spacers, possibly even the calipers now (thanks for the heads up on the machining that has to be done). I never realized when I started the project that the rotors on the system I was attempting had to be put on the inside of the hub and the lugs had to be pressed through the rotor then the hub or I never would have proceeded. I probably would have just used the hub/rotor assembly from CA to get me out of the gate. Of course a certain lawn dweller has been trying to tell me the whole time (but what the hell does he know) not to skimp on brakes and just buy the package from you.

I will contact you tomorrow, again.

When I do my final write up on brakes on my go fast build thread, SorT will certainly get the credit deserved (and maybe a mention of the crazy old geezer)...

Thanks,

Allen
Shaun and silverblueBP like this.

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 12:29 AM

Garage
Quote:

Allen
I pulled the drum off my from hub. The 66 drum hubs seem to be different than the disc hub (as expected). The drum mounts on the outer side of the hub vs the disc hub with the disc mounted to the inside edge of the hub.

The inside edge of the drum hub is not flat and has a rounded edge, so a disc would not sit flat against it. The outside hub diameter (to center drum) lis the same as the rear axle diameter (where the rear drum centers).

James

66 Coupe Project 289
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitelbj View Post
I pulled the drum off my from hub. The 66 drum hubs seem to be different than the disc hub (as expected). The drum mounts on the outer side of the hub vs the disc hub with the disc mounted to the inside edge of the hub.

The inside edge of the drum hub is not flat and has a rounded edge, so a disc would not sit flat against it. The outside hub diameter (to center drum) lis the same as the rear axle diameter (where the rear drum centers).
I keep seeing the ~2.440" number for the centers on the hubs. I don't think the hubs are my problem. I feel certain that Shaun's hats and rotors (2 piece) with his spacer will work fine. Now to see what the deal is with the calipers when I get Shaun's mounting brackets in.

I'll certainly update here and on the build.

Allen
Eitelbj likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page