Front Hub Dimensions - Vintage Mustang Forums
 17Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Front Hub Dimensions

1. Are 65-70 front hub center dimensions the same?

2. What are the dimensions of each of the 65-70 front hub center dimensions?

Still piecing together my big disc brake for the go fast build in my signature. The rotors I bought are Raybestos #6008R. The center of the rotors are 3.250". That is bigger than my hub centers (bought aftermarket hubs and they are 2.440") and trying to find a solution. Talking with @Shaun as well to see if his spacers will do the trick...

Thanks,

Allen

My build thread: Allen's Build Thread

My go fast build thread: Go Fast Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:05 PM

Hubs are the same. Itís just the ID thatís different on the bearings. Are those the rotors for 68 and later big cars? Iíve thought about the big brakes on and off. I actually have a set of Tbird/Lincoln 12Ē brakes and spindles in excellent shape with like new pads. Iím not sure if Shaunís T bird caliper brackets would work with those rotors or if they need the aftermarket 12Ē with aluminum hats. I havenít been able to determine if the offsets of both combinations are the same.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
Hubs are the same. It’s just the ID that’s different on the bearings. Are those the rotors for 68 and later big cars? I’ve thought about the big brakes on and off. I actually have a set of Tbird/Lincoln 12” brakes and spindles in excellent shape with like new pads. I’m not sure if Shaun’s T bird caliper brackets would work with those rotors or if they need the aftermarket 12” with aluminum hats. I haven’t been able to determine if the offsets of both combinations are the same.
Tom, I'm in the process of putting these together and trying to make an easy "here are the parts you need to do this". The calipers I ordered will be here tomorrow and Shaun is sending me the caliper brackets. To answer your question directly, I bought aftermarket hubs and I'm trying to determine if the center is the same dimensionally as original (or better stated, what original hub if any).

Also, I'm trying to determine if I need a spacer between the hub and the rotor to make it "hub centric". I bought aftermarket hubs with A12/A13 races installed for my D3DA spindles. I bought NAPA bearings and the hubs fit great.

Posting a picture to show the rotor on the hub and the space between the centers. The rotor on the lugs has just a little movement, not much, but enough to make me think I need a spacer.

BTW, this is not to say don't buy the package put together that the vendors we all know sell. I'm quickly learning why the package price is what it is...

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hub-Rotor.jpg (265.6 KB, 3 views)
Huskinhano likes this.

Last edited by Turnall; 01-28-2019 at 08:34 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:47 PM

Gotcha. Iím not home until the weekend. Iíll try to get the dimensions of both the Mustang hubs and Tbird. I also have a couple sets of Mustang disc hubs for the single piston. Iím assuming theyíre the same as the 65/67.

Iím doing some other work on the car during the winter. New exhaust, pulling the flywheel, I think the balance is off slightly and may pull the oil pan to fix a leak. Oh maybe new leafs too. See how the money tree does.
Turnall likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:55 PM

Garage
Did you buy Chevy hubs by mistake?

Mark

-Mark-

1966 Mustang 2+2

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=1921916927008

The seller and I talked about what I was using them for and he was making sure (in his mind) that they would work for me. I was happy with the purchase.

Now to determine if I should be...lol.

Allen

Last edited by Turnall; 01-28-2019 at 09:05 PM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:41 PM

I'm getting 2.425 on 65 hubs. For reference my new Moser axles list the drum flange dimension as 2.430 and I had to do a little sanding to get the brake drums on. ID of my Mustang Steve front hub spacers that are supposed to be a friction fit are 2.240.
Turnall likes this.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
I'm getting 2.425 on 65 hubs. For reference my new Moser axles list the drum flange dimension as 2.430 and I had to do a little sanding to get the brake drums on. ID of my Mustang Steve front hub spacers that are supposed to be a friction fit are 2.240.
Thanks for taking the time! That tells me these hubs are pretty close. Maybe a little larger than stock but I was worried they were way smaller. I'll see what Shaun's spacer dimensions are and post back what we find.

Do you have a link to the MS spacers? If not, I'll try to find them.

Thanks again!

Allen

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:59 PM

The Mustang Steve ones I have are about 2.8" OD for 2008-14 Mustangs with 12.5" and 13.2" rotors. How thick are those rotors at the hub? I just went through a lot of work to regain tire clearance and am getting concerned I'm going to be giving it all back when I pop the drums off my hubs and install rotors.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:36 PM

Those rotors look like a nightmare to me. Hopefully you get it sorted out.
The original Raybestos 6008 needed a separate hub to work...... and
happily the 65-67 Mustang disc hubs worked just right.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00861_zps2dc702f7.jpg (14.2 KB, 39 views)
Huskinhano likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Those rotors look like a nightmare to me. Hopefully you get it sorted out.
The original Raybestos 6008 needed a separate hub to work...... and
happily the 65-67 Mustang disc hubs worked just right.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I'm using separate hubs that according to Nailbenders measurements are very close to original (I have a 66 GT that I'm going to try and check today).

I would think that if it is a Raybestos 6008, then all the centers would be the same. I guess not.

Hopefully I can get it sorted and I'll post what I find...

Allen

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:57 AM

Garage
I may be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that the rotors on the mustangs went on the back of the hub and had the studs pressed through the rotor first then the hub?
GT289 likes this.

James

66 Coupe Project 289
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitelbj View Post
I may be completely wrong, but I was under the impression that the rotors on the mustangs went on the back of the hub and had the studs pressed through the rotor first then the hub?
Interesting thought. I just checked my GT but it is a bit useless as the hub and disc are a 1 piece unit (the hub center is a close match to the hubs I have). CA has 1 piece 11" hub/disc but I would like to be able to replace just the disc and not have to pull the whole assembly. If what you say is correct, that would totally defeat that purpose...

Allen

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitelbj View Post
The measurement on the largest ring on the backside of the hub is 3.5" and the rotor is 3.25" so that wouldn't work with these. Not saying you aren't correct but that wouldn't solve what parts I have (and not saying I have the correct parts obviously).

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 66-149.jpg (328.7 KB, 1 views)

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...ml#post3641041

The fifth picture shows exactly that though Eitelbj...

I'll check when I get my brackets and calipers and see where the alignment should be.

Allen

Last edited by Turnall; 01-29-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page