Coil Over Shocks - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 26Likes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Shaun I like your 3 link system but it's3 grand and I'm only looking for a little better ride and to improve on what I have now. You can see what I have done to get the ride height I need, have you any ideas for me ? Thanks Shaun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmengel View Post
Shaun I like your 3 link system but it's3 grand and I'm only looking for a little better ride and to improve on what I have now. You can see what I have done to get the ride height I need, have you any ideas for me ? Thanks Shaun
Ditch those shocks for sure.

Leaf springs - 4.5 Mid Eye Leaf Spring for 1964-73 Mustang

Bilstein shocks - Bilstein rear shock for 65-73 Mustang, 60-65 Falcon, 67-70 Cougar & 62-65 Fairlane
Huskinhano likes this.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Shaun reading about the mid eye springs they say that they lower your rear 1 inch. I can't do that without rubbing my tires. I'd buy a pair of your shocks for the back in a minute if I had a way to keep the tires from rubbing. Do you ever go to the Chrome and Ice show in Flint Feb8,9,and10th ? I'm entering my car next weekend

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:59 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Shaun reading about the mid eye springs they say that they lower your rear 1 inch. I can't do that without rubbing my tires. I'd buy a pair of your shocks for the back in a minute if I had a way to keep the tires from rubbing. Do you ever go to the Chrome and Ice show in Flint Feb8,9,and10th ? I'm entering my car next weekend
If a 235 tire is rubbing you have the wrong backspacing.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

So my wheels have the wrong back spacing, well that would be a costly fix. I guess I'm stuck with helper springs. Thanks Rick
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:18 PM

So I'm looking at the truck I'm building in my garage and my Mustang in the driveway and the thought of coilovers and hmmmm I wonder... Nahhhh... Don't do it Probably won't fit! LOL

Huskinhano and Dads65Vert like this.

'67 GT Coupe, 302, T5
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
So I'm looking at the truck I'm building in my garage and my Mustang in the driveway and the thought of coilovers and hmmmm I wonder... Nahhhh... Don't do it Probably won't fit! LOL

Impressive! Do tell!

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, FPA Headers, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:

FWIW, I have the mideye springs and Bilstein shocks from Street or Track on my '70. It sits a little too high for my taste. I've driven the car only briefly and I'm hoping the springs settle.

Likely, you're looking at the ride height from your completely worn out leaf springs and assuming the new mideyes would ride even lower.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbender View Post
Impressive! Do tell!
LOL, I'll pm you some info, I don't want to completely go off tangent on this guys thread with my sarcastic reply. But let's just say those coilovers have a 14" stroke and the shock body itself is 2.5" in diameter. The bypass shock sitting next to it has a 16" stroke and the body is 3.5" in diameter with 2 compression bypass tubes and one rebound compression tube. The front suspension cycles 21" of vertical travel which the handful of times I've had the truck in the dirt is scary what it'll soak up, especially paired with the 29" of rear suspension travel that is controlled but similar shock setup. Good times but a ton of work!

BTW, being at this end of the automotive hobby makes me appreciate how cheap my mustang restoration has been! (and the mustang hasn't been cheap by anymeans in reality! Just in comparison!) LOL, you don't want to know retail price on lets say just those shocks alone! Thank god for connections and used parts deals But I sometimes snicker in my head when I see comments like "man, that whole tubular badass front suspensions system for the mustang will be $2000"... Shoot, that's the price of one shock on these trucks! But the abuse and use is a million times different! Someone if I remember right early in this thread mentioned an advantage of a coilover shock getting hot and being able to control heat build up better. In roughly 5-10 minutes I can have these shocks so hot you can't physically hold your hand on them when running the truck at speed over rough terrain.

'67 GT Coupe, 302, T5

Last edited by sirhk100; 02-01-2019 at 05:30 PM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

OK has anybody ever welded a washer at the top of the shock to give the area a little more strength and spread out the force a little. I have newer springs but I need a little more height for my tires and thats why I have springs on the shocks? I have though about added a small spring ( 1 leaf ) on each side but I like the way I can adjust the height with the coil, heres what I have now. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (455.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (522.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0352.jpg (289.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0353.jpg (263.6 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page