1969 Decal - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By 2nd 66
  • 2 Post By SunnDogg

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

1969 Decal

Hey guys,
I'm coming to the end of my project and all thats really left is to throw on some finishing decal. I have a 69 Fastback but I want to put the black hood and mach 1 side stripe (the guy before me made the whole interior mach 1 so might as well finish the job). Do any of you know where I can get this black hood decal, im pretty sure it's a sticker but please tell me otherwise, the painter said it was too difficult to paint in the proper pattern.

if anyone has done it before please let me know what you did, how you did it and where you got it from. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69HoodPaint.jpg (41.5 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:31 AM

Garage
I can see the outer strip being a pain to lay out straight ,,,,,Laser level .
rpm likes this.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:34 AM

No, it's not a sticker. Ford painted on the Boss and Mach 1 hood blackouts at the factory. They used a textured, semi-flat paint which is typically not available at your local paint store, but I have heard of people finding it. You can find many formulas on line for reproducing the hood blackout paint.

Sounds like your painter is pretty clueless. Anyone with any automotive painting chops should be able to paint that hood blackout easy-peasy. Many paint shops prefer to clear over the blackout. Personally, I don't like that look, but it does make the hood easier to wax. Your car, your choice.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
No, it's not a sticker. Ford painted on the Boss and Mach 1 hood blackouts at the factory. They used a textured, semi-flat paint which is typically not available at your local paint store, but I have heard of people finding it. You can find many formulas on line for reproducing the hood blackout paint.

Sounds like your painter is pretty clueless. Anyone with any automotive painting chops should be able to paint that hood blackout easy-peasy. Many paint shops prefer to clear over the blackout. Personally, I don't like that look, but it does make the hood easier to wax. Your car, your choice.
Interesting you say so. the painter we went to did a fantastic job on the body but was clearly just lazy. ill maybe send the hood off alone to get properly done when the car is finished
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:53 AM

I'd do the hood on the car, because the black also covers the cowl vent and you want that to line up....if you did them off the car they might not when you put it back together.

69 Mach One, 428CJ, 5 Speed, 3.91's.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Garage
Yep, they are painted on. I did mine back in the 80's and used black gloss, because, it was the 80's! I did not have any templates or measurements, just laid down the tape and painted.

Ford Classic & Muscle Build Thread - VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
Yep, they are painted on. I did mine back in the 80's and used black gloss, because, it was the 80's! I did not have any templates or measurements, just laid down the tape and painted.
Wow that looks great man. Especially if you did it yourself! how long did it take? maybe I'll just focus on getting the car finished and Ill do the paint next summer or something, the shop it's in right now has put in about 50 hours in the last year so this will only take another year
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpotgieter View Post
Wow that looks great man. Especially if you did it yourself! how long did it take? maybe I'll just focus on getting the car finished and Ill do the paint next summer or something, the shop it's in right now has put in about 50 hours in the last year so this will only take another year
I do not remember having any measurements, but you take your time laying the tape down. I think I used long strips, pinned them at the back of the hood (or cowl panel?) and holding them up at the front pulled it tight and slowly laid it down all the way to the front. This makes for a long straight line. Then tape across the front edge, 1/2 at a time as they meet at the front peek. Pencil in the curves at the front corners and carefully cut away the horizontal and vertical tape. Use a very thin tape make the curve to mate the horizontal lines to the vertical. Cover the car, mask the outside edges of the hood and paint. When you pull the tape off, you want the paint to set, but not be totally dry.

I used gloss as the proper color/texture is harder to paint and maintain, and I was just a novice painter at the time.

Ford Classic & Muscle Build Thread - VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:57 AM

My painter used this: https://www.graphic-express.com/ford...t-stencil.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood.jpg (327.9 KB, 6 views)
GypsyR and tpotgieter like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 PM

As Klutch mentioned it was originally a flat black, textured paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood2.jpg (382.4 KB, 8 views)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnDogg View Post
As Klutch mentioned it was originally a flat black, textured paint.
thats exactly what I am looking for, thanks everyone for helping out
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:46 AM

That stencil is awesome, what a time saver! Thanks for sharing SunnDogg
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 PM

...and perfect timing. Thank you!

May the horse be with you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page