Specific VIN Research - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Confused Specific VIN Research

Hello..new to the forum. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I couldn't find anything on point as there are a lot of posts with similar titles. My question is..I owned a 1964.5 Mustang in Miami in the early 1990s and it was sold in the mid-90s. Does anyone know of a service that can track an old 11-digit VIN and tell me 1) if the car is still on the road and 2) who currently owns it? I'd love to reach out and see if it is for sale as I'd like to buy it back. Looking for a project car and would love to have my old car back. If not, will have to find something similar.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:50 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Only the DMV or authorized law enforcement can find out the owner's name or address. You could search accident reports, potentially, or put an ad up requesting that specific car somewhere in Miami. But, since it was 20 years ago there's no telling where the car might be now. Good luck!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver...Protection_Act

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM

We have members in Florida that WILL be a better source of info, but
it seems to me that you personally may be able to find out if the car
is still actively registered at the DMV. My guess is that unless you
have legal need to know, that'll be about as far as you will get.

I actually bought my truck in Florida and had contact with the
DMV because I dragged the seller there to quiz them on title
transfer. It definitely wasn't like the Calif DMV but they weren't
non-professional by any means. In CA I doubt you'd get the time
of day regarding ANY info about someone else's VIN.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 02-20-2019 at 11:03 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnoles View Post
Hello..new to the forum. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I couldn't find anything on point as there are a lot of posts with similar titles. My question is..I owned a 1964.5 Mustang in Miami in the early 1990s and it was sold in the mid-90s. Does anyone know of a service that can track an old 11-digit VIN and tell me 1) if the car is still on the road and 2) who currently owns it? I'd love to reach out and see if it is for sale as I'd like to buy it back. Looking for a project car and would love to have my old car back. If not, will have to find something similar.

Thanks in advance.
timnoles, Florida has the VIN check even though it doesnt give much back. https://services.flhsmv.gov/mvcheckweb/

Was this car a coupe? I remember years ago when i had bought my 66 coupe down in homestead, i had met a guy in Hialeah that had a 64.5 im pretty sure it was a coupe with a 260 and auto tranny. Name was Frank that all i remember as that was a while ago.

Hope you are talking about Miami Florida that is lol

1966 Coupe
200 CI
C4
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 11:35 AM

Somebody posted a website here a few months ago where you can check to see if a VIN is still active. That's the extent of the info provided but if the VIN's active you can hire a PI to use his "contacts" to find out more for you.

Unfortunately I don't remember the website but somebody will.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Yes..Miami, FL. That site did generate a hit, but the registration expiration date was March of 2000. Does that mean it is likely no longer on the road?

It was a coupe. Straight six. Red with black interior. Not a show car, but it was definitely updated and used as a daily driver. It was probably sold in Miami (Pinecrest area) around 1992?

I have reached out to a PI in FL to see what they would charge to research it a bit more. Thanks for the information.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:01 PM

Location: Formerly Sioux Falls, South Dakota - Now Silverhill, Alabama USA
Quote:
Yes..Miami, FL. That site did generate a hit, but the registration expiration date was March of 2000. Does that mean it is likely no longer on the road?
Possibility that it is no longer in Florida but registered in another state.

Did you "Google" the VIN? You might get lucky.

John

John Goettsch

My First Mustang

Transformed 2017: (Thanks 22GT)
66 FB C Code Upgraded to HiPo+
Autolite 4100 1.12 - 4-Speed Toploader
3.55 True-Trac - Koni Adjustables
Z-Member - Arvinode Exhaust

66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
I don't know the law in Florida, but where I am it means the car can not be driven on public roads. It could be sitting in a garage/field or have been converted to a drag car or used only on private property. It could also have been moved out of state to a state that doesn't register older cars.

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Somebody posted a website here a few months ago where you can check to see if a VIN is still active. That's the extent of the info provided but if the VIN's active you can hire a PI to use his "contacts" to find out more for you.

Unfortunately I don't remember the website but somebody will.

Is this the site you were thinking of: https://www.instavin.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page