Vintage Mustang Forums

Vintage Mustang Forums (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/)
-   Vintage Mustang Forum (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/)
-   -   Best suspension package for $3-$5k for 67'-68' mustang. (https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/1152774-best-suspension-package-3-5k-67-68-mustang.html)

Gibson68 02-20-2019 11:18 AM

Best suspension package for $3-$5k for 67'-68' mustang.

This is a rephrased question from my Hotchkis post a few days ago. It doesn't seem like there is a lot of love for hotchkis here. Who makes the best suspension package for $3-$5k?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

patrickstapler 02-20-2019 11:25 AM

We gave you the names, four I believe of vendors that can meet your needs. I donít remember what you said your end goal is, but a simple few phone calls will probably dial you right in. I can say I have a stock type roller suspension from John at ORP which includes some pieces from Shaun at SorT that you am very happy with for less than $3K.

englishman 02-20-2019 11:31 AM

IMHO, Opentracker will give you the best advice and bang for your buck. Their stuff makes the most of the existing architecture and involves no cutting or welding.

MII conversions are primarily aimed at shock tower deletion to allow more engine bay room for Modulars/B429s etc, with geometry improvements only as a secondary consideration.

Just my 2c - your mileage may vary!

Huntingky 02-20-2019 11:37 AM

Patrick is giving good advice BUT it might help to hear what you want your end result to be. Stating that you didn't want to remove shock towers is a great start. Great boulevard cruiser, canyon terror, autocross hero or just a weekend casual can effect what is "best" AND how much it costs.

Gibson68 02-20-2019 12:08 PM

I'm looking to make this car handle the best I can within my budget and not modify the body. If I had to put a name on it, canyon carver.

patrickstapler 02-20-2019 12:12 PM

Call John at ORP. My front and rear suspension is as right at $2900...with several upgrades.

1ofAMillion+ 02-20-2019 12:21 PM

Best for what? Best for AutoX, best in vintage class or best in the unlimited class, best for the buck, best for cobble roads and crossing train tracks...
I saw your Hotchkis post and wonder if they are for the bling show crowd or hardcore racers. If i were wanting a race car I'd start with a better platform. if i wanted the best a '68 could fit it would be something along the lines of a Jag IRS. Alas, even F1 cars have budgets.
If i were to pick a single vendor for everything i think it would be GlobalWest just for their Cat5 leaf springs and +3 caster upper arms then the rest of the fill in the blank parts.

Huntingky 02-20-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibson68 (Post 10114166)
I'm looking to make this car handle the best I can within my budget and not modify the body. If I had to put a name on it, canyon carver.

I would talk to John or Sean then. I think they could recommend what would best fill the bill. I like the canyon carver class myself. My only reason for not going with them was they didn't have a package for my Coyote build and my desire to go ultimate handling.

image98 02-20-2019 12:45 PM

Lots of great advice here. As others have mentioned, it all depends on what you want to do with the car. For a canyon carver and your budget, I would also recommend reaching out to Mike Maier Racing as I believe they have a number of products/packages that would be worth taking a look at.

https://mikemaierinc.com

Since our classic cars are unibodies, I think strengthening and reinforcing the chassis will also affect handling by eliminating as much body flex. Also, your tire and rim sizes will play into the equation.

Lightning 02-20-2019 01:07 PM

My 65 with the Street or Track suspension is a better handling car (by my seat of the pants) than my wifes 2015 Audi. I went through all of the reviews before deciding whose stuff to buy and so far Street or Track has actually exceeded my expectations.

gimpystoy 02-20-2019 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by image98 (Post 10114198)
Lots of great advice here. As others have mentioned, it all depends on what you want to do with the car. For a canyon carver and your budget, I would also recommend reaching out to Mike Maier Racing as I believe they have a number of products/packages that would be worth taking a look at.

https://mikemaierinc.com

Since our classic cars are unibodies, I think strengthening and reinforcing the chassis will also affect handling by eliminating as much body flex. Also, your tire and rim sizes will play into the equation.

:smile2: this is best place to start. then move up to coilover front &rear.

BrianDietz 02-20-2019 01:46 PM

Like others have said, the use will dictate what system to buy. I put Global West negative roll upper and lower control arms in mine along with Bilstein shocks and stock springs.

Rowdy 02-20-2019 03:28 PM

I spent about a month calling around, reading reviews and even drove a couple cars with different setups. One with the MII (had a big block in it which probably didn't help it's case) One with the global west bits, one with Maeirs.. Haven't driven anything from open tracker, but I do have a bunch of his bits in my steering setup.

SoT's coil over front just fit the bill perfectly. It handles amazingly. Not bone jarring. Alignment setup was straightforward. Fantastic instructions. Great customer support. I really should have gone to his 3 link to match in the rear.

Grimbrand 02-20-2019 04:36 PM

It's a great idea to start with the basics. You could do the Shelby/Arning drop, put in a 1" swaybar up front, and then decide on whether to put in some good shocks, or upgrade more stuff (like coilovers).

What's your ultimate intention for this? Track use? Or do you want a tight, smooth-riding street car?

2nd 66 02-20-2019 04:48 PM