Hydroboost System - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hydroboost System

I was wondering if anyone knew if you could reuse a wilwood master cylinder that normally goes on a stock brake booster system on a hydroboost system because I was planning to convert over? (1969 Mustang)

1969 Mustang Grande Edition

Last edited by rdiaz15; 03-02-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:57 PM

I think i gotta go hydroboost also. Cant get enough vacuum with the way my set up is.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:14 AM

Not sure on a 69 but I called Hydratech to find out same thing for my 65. Only the 63/4" MC will fit with the shock towers. The full size like the wildwood would be to big for mine. Probably going with a Baer ReMaster MC.

65 A-Code FB
"Megan (not a fox) Mustang"
build thread coming soon

93 VW Corrado SLC
"Chloe Corrado"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 05:21 AM

I'm using the Hydrotech unit with 4 wheel discs and they supplied an aluminum M/C from a Corvette. It fits fine. The car is not together yet, but I test fit the booster and M/C.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver

Last edited by j persons; 03-03-2019 at 05:24 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:33 PM

I am running a Hydratech system with a Wilwood master cylinder. If your mounting bolts are to the left and right of the pushrod (they should be), it will fit. I had a vacuum booster with a cast iron Corvette master cylinder before I converted to hydroboost. The mounting bolt pattern was the same for both boosters & both master cylinders.

'66 Emberglo Coupe
Modifications:
5.0 EFI conversion
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg'66 5.0 View Post
I am running a Hydratech system with a Wilwood master cylinder. If your mounting bolts are to the left and right of the pushrod (they should be), it will fit. I had a vacuum booster with a cast iron Corvette master cylinder before I converted to hydroboost. The mounting bolt pattern was the same for both boosters & both master cylinders.
With your R&C suspension your shock towers are deleted? Was told by Hydratech that if you have the shock towers, Wilwood M/C won't fit.

65 A-Code FB
build thread coming soon

93 VW Corrado SLC
"Chloe Corrado"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclecticdriver View Post
With your R&C suspension your shock towers are deleted? Was told by Hydratech that if you have the shock towers, Wilwood M/C won't fit.
Yes - my shock towers are deleted. I just took some measurements of the booster and master cylinder and this is what I got:

Firewall to the end of the booster (where the master cylinder bolts on) is right at 7".
Firewall to the end of the master cylinder is right at 15".

I don't have the shock tower dimensions for reference (and I don't know the dimensional differences between 1966 and 1969), but you could run into some interference with the brake lines. I think the master cylinder might clear the shock tower, but the brake lines won't fit if you have them connected to the fender side of the master cylinder. The Wilwood master cylinder has outlet ports available on both sides, so you would have to run the lines to the ports on the engine side.

'66 Emberglo Coupe
Modifications:
5.0 EFI conversion
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver

Last edited by Greg'66 5.0; 03-04-2019 at 09:39 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg'66 5.0 View Post
Yes - my shock towers are deleted. I just took some measurements of the booster and master cylinder and this is what I got:

Firewall to the end of the booster (where the master cylinder bolts on) is right at 7".
Firewall to the end of the master cylinder is right at 15".

I don't have the shock tower dimensions for reference (and I don't know the dimensional differences between 1966 and 1969), but you could run into some interference with the brake lines. I think the master cylinder might clear the shock tower, but the brake lines won't fit if you have them connected to the fender side of the master cylinder. The Wilwood master cylinder has outlet ports available on both sides, so you would have to run the lines to the ports on the engine side.
So this is where my memory get's a little hazy...according to Hydratech, they have a version with the Billet aluminum plate that fits into factory hole that may increase the dimensions and a version that needs the hole widened so it can sit into the firewall but may have extra clearance. OP should definitely call to talk specifically about his application. As a side note, the Hydratech may be different than the that the Hydro Boost systems sold by CPP through summit.

65 A-Code FB
build thread coming soon

93 VW Corrado SLC
"Chloe Corrado"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Garage
For those planning on a hydroboost system and not planning on going with the Hydratech solution, here is a part I am selling that may be of interest.

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/1...ydroboost.html

Alan
1970 Mach 1 Coyote powered restomod in progress. Started 10/2016.
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/bu...mod-build.html
2017 Mustang GT AT donor purchased 9/2017.
FFR MK4 sold 3/1/2018.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page