Intake Manifold Gasket Help - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Intake Manifold Gasket Help

The gaskets I ordered are for a 96 351 which have larger water jacket ports than the APR heads. Because the APR heads slant inward the gasket leaves a gap in the upper outside corner.

I could fill it in with form-a-gasket but I don't think that's the right way to go. Anybody got any ideas?

Steve
67 Fastback
(Under Restoration)
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...storation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:24 PM

Get the correct gasket. Felpro 1262 should work
Huskinhano likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:54 PM

Ditto on cmefly. What year is your engine? My local parts store has me listed as owning a 69, a 75, a 72, and a 94 Mustang... I own one car - a 69, but the current engine is a 72 which replaced a 75, and the tranny is a 94 T-5.
Order parts correct for the engine... and don't try to "fudge" something like an intake gasket... that's just my opinion.

69 Convertible, 351W, T5, E-Brock Performer 351-W intake, Performer Plus cam, Holley 4160, power assist, dual exhaust, 4-wheel manual drums.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 07:59 PM

I found with my AFR185s, the Felpro gaskets werenít a perfect fit around the water jacket ports, but with silicone in the right spots, it works fine. I believe itís the 1262 as mentioned above, but I recommend the S3 version, which are much better at holding form than the standard. Good Luck!

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
AKA "Dr. Wolf"

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
My choice has always been Victor-Reinz. https://www.perfectengine.com/Victor...or-95186sp.htm

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I knew someone would have the answer.

Steve
67 Fastback
(Under Restoration)
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...storation.html
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 02:33 PM

I have a 351w with AFR 205 heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold and use the polished ARP bolts. Some of the intake bolts loosened up (~13 fit lbs) due to vibration and the water jacket area leaked my coolant out. This has happened a few times over the years. I have been using Felpro 1262. I torque the bolts to 18 Ft-lbs and put lock washers on it last time. Next time I am going to use Locktite, I sent Locktite a request for their recommended formula would work best. I plan to order 1262 S3 next time. Any recommendations to fix this for good is appreciated. Alan
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:16 PM

Use a dab of blue locktite on each bolt. Amazon has it in a stick, comes out in a paste form. Takes all the mess out of applying it.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
Use a dab of blue locktite on each bolt. Amazon has it in a stick, comes out in a paste form. Takes all the mess out of applying it.
I have a problem with my intake manifold bolts coming loose and have posted here (long ago) asking for advice. Was advised to not use either a lock washer or locktite. But, whoever it was who replied could not provide a reason to not use either of them. So, I haven't tried that. Have you tried this?

Mahalo,

Harry Z
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryZ View Post
I have a problem with my intake manifold bolts coming loose and have posted here (long ago) asking for advice. Was advised to not use either a lock washer or locktite. But, whoever it was who replied could not provide a reason to not use either of them. So, I haven't tried that. Have you tried this?

Mahalo,

Harry Z
Here's the trick: Torque the bolts as prescribed in the manual. Walk away, do not start the engine. The next day check the torque. If any are loose, take them out one at a time, apply blue Locktite and re-torque. When initially installed, some intake gaskets tend to relax and will cause the bolts to loose torque.

John

The Fauxstang. Dynacorn 67 fastback. Dart SHP 363, Close ratio Magnum 6 speed, 3.70 Eaton Truetrac in a fabricated full floater 9", SorT coil over suspension. Still in pieces.
'14 SHO with most all the bells and whistles. Stock for now.
F-150 SCab daily driver
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Here's the trick: Torque the bolts as prescribed in the manual. Walk away, do not start the engine. The next day check the torque. If any are loose, take them out one at a time, apply blue Locktite and re-torque. When initially installed, some intake gaskets tend to relax and will cause the bolts to loose torque.
Not sure I can handle NOT starting the car when a repair is finished, but I'll give it a try. Thanx for responding.

Harry Z
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I would run it, Heat accelerates stress relaxation. I don't think the 1262 relax at all over time.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan _MacDougall View Post
I have a 351w with AFR 205 heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold and use the polished ARP bolts. Some of the intake bolts loosened up (~13 fit lbs) due to vibration and the water jacket area leaked my coolant out. This has happened a few times over the years. I have been using Felpro 1262. I torque the bolts to 18 Ft-lbs and put lock washers on it last time. Next time I am going to use Locktite, I sent Locktite a request for their recommended formula would work best. I plan to order 1262 S3 next time. Any recommendations to fix this for good is appreciated. Alan
I spoke to Fel-Pro, they said 1262 will work fine on normally aspirated engines. The 1262 S3 are intended for supercharger applications. The other interesting thing they said is the 1262 printoseal gaskets must go on dry. Do not use RTV around the water jackets as it could damage the gasket and cause a leak. With regard to the bolts loosening up, ARP said thread engagement must be a 1/2" minimum. They said its good to use lockwashers, I have internal star washers and it helped. They also recommend using blue locktite.
HarryZ likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:45 PM

I have had trouble with 1262 gaskets losing torque as they heat cycle. they eventually take a set but the 1262S with it's steel core is a FAR better gasket and holds torque . Supercharged only ? Ridiculous Sure the steel core helps in that situation , but it also keeps them from sucking IN like the 1262 does, ESPECIALLY on aluminum heads.
Randy
rcodenewf, HarryZ and 68Ghost like this.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350HR View Post
I have had trouble with 1262 gaskets losing torque as they heat cycle. they eventually take a set but the 1262S with it's steel core is a FAR better gasket and holds torque . Supercharged only ? Ridiculous Sure the steel core helps in that situation , but it also keeps them from sucking IN like the 1262 does, ESPECIALLY on aluminum heads.
Randy
Randy thanks for your input. How do you trim the extra tie bar material in the water jacket port on the 1262 S3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page