Newbie with 1966 interior question - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Newbie with 1966 interior question

Hello All,
Hopefully there are some Gurus here to answer one of many questions that I will have. Long story short, I just purchased my first Gen 1 Mustang at age 65, not sure why I have not gotten one years earlier, Anyway my neighbor just decided to sell his as his wife can not drive it without power steering. I got a heck of a buy, trust me, LOL. Anyway it is a bright red convertible, white manual top, black interior, 6 cylinder, auto, manual steering and manual brakes. Now get this, The odometer says 13,000, so is it 113,213, etc. I do not know the history. It has been restored, as all kinds of restoration books in the trunk. Now the kicker, when I first saw the car, I was shocked at the skinny tires. Upon further investigation, it is fitted with what appears to be 1966 original Goodyear bias tires size 6.95 X 14. I have not seen tires like this since I was a kid, Like I said I am now 65. The tread wear is consistent with 13,000, they are weathered cracked and will be replaced with radials on Tuesday. The spare is a brand new Sears Allstate retread with Goodyear sidewalls. I also have not see recaps for cars in years. The tires on the car are not reproductions but original. I am amazed as well as everyone that has seen the car. Well my first question is this, It is a 76B which means Luxury convertible, I am thinking "Pony" interior. It does not have woodgrain on dash and glovebox, does not have the T-Bird style door handles, no lights in the doors, or embossed ponys in the seat cover. So what exactly does the 76B mean? The car is 100% original except it has aftermarket radio, antenna and a right side mirror. It did come with the original am radio. It has single speed wipers, and no windshield washers. Thanks in advance and thanks for allowing me here. I will post pictures later. Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:19 PM

Garage
I agree 76B stands for Luxury Convertable.

Seems strange someone would replace a pony interior with a standard interior during a restoration. Are you sure the data plate is original? Since Ford made 56,509 standard verts and only 12,520 luxury verts in 1966, could someone in the past trying to be deceptive?

What is the Trim code on the door data plate?

Here are the corresponding interior colors with the codes that should be on the data plate:

Blue w/Blue Trim 22
Red w/Red Trim 25
Black w/Black Trim 26
Aqua w/Aqua Trim 27
Blue Bench 32
Red Bench 35
Black Bench 36
Blue & White (Luxury) 62
Emberglo & Parchment (Luxury) 64
Red (Luxury) 65
Black (Luxury) 66
Aqua & White (Luxury) 67
Ivy Gold & White (Luxury) 68
Parchment w/Blue Trim Bench C2
Parchment w/Burgundy Trim Bench C3
Parchment w/Emberglo Trim Bench C4
Parchment w/Black Trim Bench C6
Parchment w/Aqua Trim Bench C7
Parchment w/Ivy Gold Trim Bench C8
Parchment w/Palomino Trim Bench C9
Parchment w/Blue Trim D2
Parchment w/Burgundy Trim D3
Parchment w/Emberglo Trim D4
Parchment w/Black Trim D6
Parchment w/Aqua Trim D7
Parchment w/Ivy Gold Trim D8
Parchment w/Palomino Trim D9
Parchment w/Blue Trim (Luxury) F2
Parchment w/Burgundy Trim (Luxury) F3
Parchment w/Emberglo Trim (Luxury) F4
Parchment w/Black Trim (Luxury) F6
Parchment w/Aqua Trim (Luxury) F7
Parchment w/Ivy Gold Trim (Luxury) F8
Parchment w/Palomino Trim (Luxury) F9
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 08:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Does the VIN on the data plate on the door match the one on the fender apron? I have witnessed more than a few instances where a "crunched" driver's door got replaced with one from a salvage yard and the data plate never was changed. Post a photo if you'd like...

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Will post a picture of the data plate tomorrow. Yes , very interesting as PO told me he thought the car was sold new in Florida, but DSO code is 33=Detroit. You guys might be onto something. Just got to locate the fender apron tag. I agree why would someone put a regular interior in a Pony interior car. So does 76B mean Pony interior? Kim
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Just went out to find fender tag, no tag under hood. Where would it be? Did Ford put same engine number as chassis VIN like GM did? If so I could verify by engine number, (if original engine in car). My trim code is 26. Kim
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:47 PM

There are no numbers on the engine to match the VIN on the fender or door data plate. The inner fender tag would be on the driver's side, stamped into the engine bay metal (under the fender) about 1/2 way.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:38 AM

People have been known to replace trashed deluxe door panels with the far cheaper standard panels. If the doors have the courtesy lights in them, that's what happened. If no lights, the doors have been replaced.

One other possibility is the warranty tag is a replacement, and has been altered.

Photos would solve this mystery.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all, I think the mystery is close to being solved. I am thinking during restoration the fender apron/aprons were replaced and the door tag was also, I think this is/was not a 76B car. No lights in door, no deluxe door panels, no T-Bird style door handles, no woodgrain, etc. I will try to send pics now. So I may never know the original VIN! Kim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8624.jpg (318.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8623.jpg (259.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8619.jpg (305.5 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page