Vintage Mustang Forums banner

POR15 Engine Paint Over Duplicolor 1606

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  mikec35 
#1 ·
About 15 years ago I painted my engine using Duplicolor 1606, it is out of the car and needs some freshening up. Has anybody every bruished POR15 Engine Paint over cleaned and sanded rattle can paint? The egnine is currently sitting on a set of storage legs with the transmission attached, not in the best configuration to rattle can... thanks

#5 ·
I painted my bare engine with POR-15 Ford Corporate Blue as well, brushed it on and am very pleased with how it turned out. I'd check with their tech department if you want to know the proper way to paint the engine enamel over a previously painted engine. I had brush strokes showing in mine so I contacted them and their tech advised that I sand the engine with 320 grit sandpaper, blow off the dust or use a tack cloth (no solvents or cleaners) then apply another coat thinned 5-10% so it will flow better. I suspect painting over old, previously applied paint would probably entail the same process, but remember your topcoat is only as good as the substrate. If you feel your base is good then it would be worth a shot. I soda blasted my engine while it was together then painted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.