Question for those who remember 1964: Fastbacks? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 48Likes

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Dimples

Garage
Question for those who remember 1964: Fastbacks?

I have tried to find the answer myself, but the internet doesn't remember 1964 either.

How was the public exposed to the design for the fastback? Was it common knowledge that it was coming when the Mustang debuted in April? Was it something that was released to car magazines in the summer?

I've seen this photo of a fastback on what seems to be the World's Fair display, but no film I could find of the opening showed this, so maybe the display was just re-used later? The Fair went on until October of that year.

Anybody have any insight here? I remember seeing my first fastback in person in the early 90's and it changed everything for me. I have to imagine its unveiling back in the day had the same effect for many others.

The anvil of reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:35 PM

The first "fastbacks" I recall ever seeing were Galaxies, Barracudas and Marlins.

I cant remember when I saw my first Mustang fastback.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
The first "fastbacks" I recall ever seeing were Galaxies, Barracudas and Marlins.

I cant remember when I saw my first Mustang fastback.
I felt it was fairly obvious, but I'm specifically referring to the Mustang fastback, or 2+2 for the pedantic.
1forfords and arbys like this.

The anvil of reality.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
Curious to know as well. I've also heard that the fastback models didn't sell well in 64/65 so that's why production numbers of fastbacks in 1966 were so much lower. 76k of them made for 65 and 36k of them made in 1966. (and yes I rounded my math on that but you can look up the numbers yourself here)

1965 mustang production number and technical data | Maine Mustang
1966 mustang production number and technical data | Maine Mustang

I certainly remember my first time seeing one. Though it was closer to 1984 than 1964.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten
2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!
1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted
2016 Shelby GT-350 Tech Pack Still like the 66 better
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeTX View Post
I have tried to find the answer myself, but the internet doesn't remember 1964 either.

How was the public exposed to the design for the fastback? Was it common knowledge that it was coming when the Mustang debuted in April? Was it something that was released to car magazines in the summer?

I've seen this photo of a fastback on what seems to be the World's Fair display, but no film I could find of the opening showed this, so maybe the display was just re-used later? The Fair went on until October of that year.

Anybody have any insight here? I remember seeing my first fastback in person in the early 90's and it changed everything for me. I have to imagine its unveiling back in the day had the same effect for many others.
I just picked up the April 1964 of NewsWeek where they announce the Mustang. They mentioned that an additoinal 2+2 "fastback" version will be available later in the model year, but I don't believe there were any pictures offered of it. It had pictures of a whole bunch of options, so I suspect if there was a completed car that they could put in the magazine, they would have done it.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Full gallop this way --->
Supporting Member

Garage
It was no big secret it was coming. I read somewhere when Lee Iacocca saw the concept/model for the 2+2 he couldn't wait to get it approved and into production as soon as possible. Note this early print ad was still in the theme of marketing the mustang primarily to women. This model named "Agnes" (we are to believe) got herself a 2+2 and promptly ditched her suburban country club lifestyle for the exciting pastime of tormenting bulls. Sure, why not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965-Ford-Mustang-2-2-Fastback-Original.jpg (57.4 KB, 35 views)
120mm, BlakeTX and Quicksilver66 like this.

I reconfigured a base '68 coupe a little bit...
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Dimples

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSterling966 View Post
Curious to know as well. I've also heard that the fastback models didn't sell well in 64/65 so that's why production numbers of fastbacks in 1966 were so much lower.
Yeah I never understood that, except that they were expensive. About the same price as a convertible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOverMyHead View Post
I just picked up the April 1964 of NewsWeek where they announce the Mustang. They mentioned that an additoinal 2+2 "fastback" version will be available later in the model year, but I don't believe there were any pictures offered of it. It had pictures of a whole bunch of options, so I suspect if there was a completed car that they could put in the magazine, they would have done it.
Interesting. We're getting closer. I'm hoping someone can point to a specific event or unveiling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ocious View Post
This model named "Agnes" (we are to believe) got herself a 2+2 and promptly ditched her suburban country club lifestyle for the exciting pastime of tormenting bulls. Sure, why not.
Hah!

The anvil of reality.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 PM

Only thing I can relate.
1964 seeing a orange fastback coming down the farm lane to house. I'm 15 years old, can't believe seeing this Mustang coming. It was my 6 year older brother driving, having bought it from the Tillit FORD dealer in Beardstown, Ill.
Time was Mid 64, or so. First Fastback sold in Mid Illinois.
FELL IN LOVE THAT DAY--Still the same today.

Last edited by CHOCK; 03-15-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:53 PM

I was 10 years old in April, 1964. I do remember the excitement that was created by the Mustang. My father had a female cousin who was in her 20's at the time and she wanted one dearly. I don't remember the first time I saw a fastback. My earliest memory is learning that the V8 Mustangs had the 260 or 289 emblem on the front fenders and the 6 cylinder cars had nothing. I looked for that V8 emblem on every Mustang I saw.
Huskinhano likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:28 PM

The Fastback was introduced in September 1964. It was a true 1965 model with 1965 specifications. The only V8 was 289. The 64.5s were coupes and converts with an optional 260 V8. 65s had an alternator. 64.5s a generator. There was never a Fastback with a generator. There was always a more powerful optional V8 for the Fastback. The first optional "big" engine was the K code 289.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCK View Post
Only thing I can relate.
1964 seeing a orange fastback coming down the farm lane to house. I'm 15 years old, can't believe seeing this Mustang coming. It was my 6 year older brother driving, having bought it from the Tillit FORD dealer in Beardstown, Ill.
Time was Mid 64, or so. First Fastback sold in Mid Illinois.
FELL IN LOVE THAT DAY--Still the same today.
Your brother was quite accomplished at age 6, Chock.

Currently working on a 1970 Mach 1 project. See it here: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...ode-build.html
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:27 PM

I was 8 years old in April of 64 but already had a few years of dragstrip time hang around under my belt. My uncle Bob on my mothers side professionally raced Pontiacs (Bob Nelson) in drag as well as circle track. I LIVED for new models coming out. Thing is, it was ALWAYS September of whatever year to see the new models debut on (black and white tube) tv. Mustang in April 64 was a history mark as far as new car demand. When the fastback came out in 65 release, it was on shows like Bonanza, Bewitched, Andy Griffith, etc in a subtle background appearance as well as auto shows. Ford sponsored shows had 12 of them along each and every curb........Watch a few vintage Andy Griffith shows.....It was the 427 Chevy debut for Ford. Never forget it. My favorite moments to date are seeing the first Mustang, first GTO, 427 Chevy, and most of all, #1, the 1967 Cougar. No offense to this site but a 67-68 Cougar is the best Fomoco product to rival a 69 Mach 1. In my opinion of course. I always wished I was born 10 years earlier to have lived the start of what we now consider musclecar wars. Scratch that. Mustang is a Pony Car.....
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:08 AM
Supporting Member

I can't tell you exact date, but Ford introduced the fastback Mustang by sending Zillion promotional toy Fastbacks to all the dealers to giveaway to the customers kids. When the shipment came in one of the salesmen opened up the box and took the 1st one and walked it across the street to my dad's cafe and gave it to me. It was about 8 or 9 inches long and robin egg blue.

When I left home for college my mom "cleaned" out my room and threw it away, along with the first 6 years of (every issue) Marvel comics Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, and about 500 other assorted comic books, total worth today in the hundreds of thousands.

Z
Huskinhano, 2nd 66 and Woodchuck like this.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:38 AM

My dad bought me a 65 2+2, 289 3spd in late 65 or early 66 (as far as I can remember, damn CRS). Don't remember much about commercials, I was more interested in light to light street racing at 16.

We happened to be out looking to get me a car, and this guy brought it into the car lot we were at, trying to sell it. The dealer didn't buy it, so we asked him how much, needless to say, pop bought it for $1800.

Klutch, I first thought the same thing on Dan's post, until I read it again. Check it out
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar70 View Post
"..... There was always a more powerful optional V8 for the Fastback. The first optional "big" engine was the K code 289.
The couple and convertibles had the same V-8 options as the fastback. In 65, 66, and 67 there was never a fastback "only" V-8.

Z
Woodchuck and myfirstcar66 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page