Ford Tooling sheet metal - Bad news - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 85Likes

post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j persons View Post
May be it's time for AMD to step up. I know they are mainly GM and Mopar, but they do have a Ford license and sell some things under the Ford logo, unless they get their sheet metal off shore.
A factory in Taiwan called "TriPlus" is the primary supplier to AMD, and I believe has an ownership stake in AMD.

TriPlus tools and manufacturers a good bit of what AMD carries, but there is a ton of stuff that they do NOT make, which they acquire (as is the norm) from the myriad of other factories in Taiwan that make the stuff, and ship that to AMD as well...

This dynamic pretty much applies to all "brand name" U.S. metal distributors.

We import containers directly from TriPlus, for those specific items that we believe are "best available", using our best-quality-sourcing criteria..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:41 PM

Sadly, nothing new about Ford scrapping tools. Most 69-up Mustang sheetmetal has been unavailable for years, mostly from Ford scrapping the tools.

And yeah, shipping the tools is theoretically possible, but cannot be done. IIRC, when the Taiwan makers got feedback about 65-66 parts not fitting well, they tried to bring in a clean Mustang body to trial fit parts. Couldn't do it. No matter what they tried, the government there considered it a "used car", import of which is prohibited.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Sadly, nothing new about Ford scrapping tools. Most 69-up Mustang sheetmetal has been unavailable for years, mostly from Ford scrapping the tools.

And yeah, shipping the tools is theoretically possible, but cannot be done. IIRC, when the Taiwan makers got feedback about 65-66 parts not fitting well, they tried to bring in a clean Mustang body to trial fit parts. Couldn't do it. No matter what they tried, the government there considered it a "used car", import of which is prohibited.
There are plenty of original Mustang shells (and other makes/models) in Taiwan today...

The bugagoo is that they tried to import an entire car, complete.

I've been asked to find/acquire/ship a car to Taiwan in the past (71-73 fastback). Their only requirement was, "pull the driveline!". That made it kosher.

But tooling, that's a whole different enchilada. You can't do it.
Kaplanr likes this.

post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
I've gained 5 pounds from all of the popcorn I've consumed on this forum over the past week or two..

Don't worry about that; it's just water retention from the salt..

Surely a Taiwan plant would be willing to buy the tooling if Ford intends to recycle it for scrap, no?

On a related subject, is the current crop of Taiwan Mustang stampings of similar quality to sheetmetal produced from the original stampings?

John

Do NOT send me a private message, email me directly:[email protected]
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...mustangftp.jpg
now sandblasted and DP40'd since this pic was taken.
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:41 PM

Rick - thanks for giving us the "heads up" on this situation, and also not gouging customers in the process. Are the prices online current, specifically item #16612-1? Let me know here or via PM. Thanks!

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Del View Post
Surely a Taiwan plant would be willing to buy the tooling if Ford intends to recycle it for scrap, no?
You've got two impossibilities there...

First off, Ford doesn't sell tooling. In order to use Ford tooling, you have to be a Licensee, and Ford ships you the tooling on loan.. When you're done or if you lose or cancel your license, Ford tells you where to ship it next, or permits you to destroy it.

Second, you cannot import tooling into Taiwan. Period. Most countries are like that. Even the U.S. I believe. It helps to protect your domestic industries and existing toolings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Del View Post
On a related subject, is the current crop of Taiwan Mustang stampings of similar quality to sheetmetal produced from the original stampings?
That's too broad/vague of a question to provide a good answer. All I can give you is a vague answer. The current "crop" is a myriad of hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of toolings/stampings/assemblies, some of it really really old, some of it middle-ages, and some of it brand-spanking new.. Some of it replaced older/poorer toolings, and some of it was new items that never existed on the market.

IN GENERAL, the new stuff is really nice! But the differences and/or comparisons to original Ford can only be discovered in the details. And in some cases, original tooling stuff had its own issues (there was a run of original tooling fenders that were assembled so poorly, that our Golden Legion fenders fit better... That went on for over a year).

But some of the older stuff is also nice..

And then a lot of the older stuff is not near as nice as NOS or Original Tool.

It's an enormous grab-bag. You cannot "generalize" with sheet metal as a category, it's pointless.

Rick
NPD
John_Del likes this.
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
Rick - thanks for giving us the "heads up" on this situation, and also not gouging customers in the process. Are the prices online current, specifically item #16612-1? Let me know here or via PM. Thanks!
YES, all prices online are current and should be lasting...
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

I realize that this is a kinda hot topic, but I'm leaving the office for the day, and I don't "internet" on my weekends..

So if I'm not responsive until Monday, now you know why..

Rick
NPD
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 06:30 PM

Depending on the country it is possible to import or export tooling. Most of the tooling (and tools) used in Mexican auto production for US brands come from the US. We could get injection molding tooling from Shenzhen no problem but getting the entire part from there was an order of magnitude cheaper with better availability and the same or better quality than here. Large scale tooling is specific to a particular brand or even model of a machine. Even if you could get Ford to license you the tooling you may have to buy the machines depending on what the tooling fit. Most tooling used these days are for contemporary parts where the tooling is made specifically for that purpose and not legacy tooling for EOL parts. Typically you buy the machine first based on your requirements then have the tooling developed for that machine and how your production line works. I'd bet the tooling will be scrapped.

67 Hardtop, brought it back to a driver
http://desertratretro.com
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 AM

Wow! This is VERY educational. I am learning a lot here.

More popcorn

Driving a stock Mustang is like driving a sofa. I'm Real Good at driving sofas!
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:55 AM

Garage
Thanks Rick for giving everyone here a heads up on whats going on.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 AM

Garage
Brookville Roadster is a company that builds steel Model A and 32 Fords. I don't know how you would inform them about this, But they might interested. They have been building cars for 30 years in the USA and you can't tell one of their cars from one of Fords their that good.
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:52 AM

Thank you for this heads up. As someone getting back into the Mustang game after a little bit of a hiatus, I've appreciated your company's quality service. It's looking more and more like I'll be doing a repaint soon, and the one panel that I'm concerned about on my car is the hood. Hopefully there's at least a year's supply of them!

1965 C-code Coupe - 289 w/ C4. 9" w/ 3.25 LSD, 4 wheel Street or Track discs, GT350 coils w/ Arning drop, 4.5" mideyes, Cal-Tracs.
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
Hopefully there's at least a year's supply of them!
That is not a bet I would make.

Everybody has to start some place
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW66 View Post
Brookville Roadster is a company that builds steel Model A and 32 Fords. I don't know how you would inform them about this, But they might interested. They have been building cars for 30 years in the USA and you can't tell one of their cars from one of Fords their that good.
Maybe someone who is familiar with the company can shoot them an email with a link to this thread.

21 YEARS AND COUNTING
67 Convertible 289/C4
Originally Vintage Burgandy
Now Porsche Iris Blue Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page