Ford Tooling sheet metal - Bad news - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 85Likes

post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Tony,

No, the Carpenters do not have stamping machinery capable of handling these toolings. They outsource stampings as large as these. Daniel is aware of the situation, and I believe that he is likewise "flummoxed" regarding what can be done.

Ken,

Yep, drive carefully!! And I'm certain that there will be many folks who simply "stash away" some spares as insurance. It's not a bad idea, because as years go by, the value of those spares sitting on shelves in garages or stashed in closets or attics will likely increase.
:l When I bought my 67 in 1991 I knew front fenders were looking a little rough. I found D. Carpenter in Hemings & bought a pair of Ford service replacements. They didn't go on untill 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Does this affect Ford Tooling taillight panels too?
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingrocks View Post
Does this affect Ford Tooling taillight panels too?
Rick has 65/66 taillight panels at the bottom of the list of stuff he picked up. See post #1.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFred View Post
Rick has 65/66 taillight panels at the bottom of the list of stuff he picked up. See post #1.
Thanks--my fault for reading too quickly.
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
IN GENERAL, the new stuff is really nice! But the differences and/or comparisons to original Ford can only be discovered in the details. And in some cases, original tooling stuff had its own issues (there was a run of original tooling fenders that were assembled so poorly, that our Golden Legion fenders fit better... That went on for over a year).

It's an enormous grab-bag. You cannot "generalize" with sheet metal as a category, it's pointless.
I remember when those OT fenders were like that. Only way to use them was to drill out the welds and reassemble them. And yes, our answer was to use Golden Legion. The hours needed to use the OT fenders were just not worth it.

And I agree, you can't just say this or that sheetmetal maker is best, you have to go piece by piece. Even Ford was like that. I remember when the Nordan bumpers were better than Ford bumpers, and the repro 4-speed shift levers made the last of the Ford levers look like crap.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 AM
Supporting Member

Garage
well dang. I will probably need to have quite a bit of sheet metal replaced, but I am at least 2 years away from being able to buy it all and having a shop do the work (I don't have the tools & ability).

Hopefully there will still be sheet metal out there when it comes time to restore/restomod mine.
Fastang68 likes this.

1966 Mustang 2-Door Coupe
Engine: 1980 302 bored 0.060, so 311 ci. 351 heads, Holley 670 cfm 4 barrel, Eldebrock Torker II 289 intake, Competition Cam 276 duration 490 lift.
Trans: 1966 C4, recently rebuilt
Rear End: 8.8" rear end, 3.73 ratio w/ tractionlok, sourced from 91-94 explorer
Brakes: disc in front, drum in rear. Manual all around, single reservoir
Non-numbers matching

My plan is just to build a decently powerful muscle car that looks good but is a driver not a show car.
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Rick! As others have said, we really appreciate the transparency.

I've got a number of OT repro parts on Jane that all fit perfectly. I did notice, however, that the metal quality is not nearly as good as the OEM parts - while it is exactly the same thickness, I have dented both my OT repro hood and decklids with just my fingers in normal open/closed operation! And I'm not exactly the Hulk...

At any rate, since Jane seems to go through sheetmetal at an alarming rate in comparison to most vintage Mustangs (lol), it is good to have this info. I have stockpiled an OEM hood and decklid for my next replacements, if they ever have to happen (hopefully not). After that, I just hope that the other repros will be up to par by then. Or, you know, it would be nice if I just didn't have to replace panels ever again... wishful thinking

I have been very pleased with the replacement Taiwan sheetmetal so far, so hopefully that will just continue to improve and we will not be left wishing that someone could have saved the Ford toolings.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:16 AM

I hate to say it but I'm a little late at getting on this info bus . . . .

Seems that the OEM tooling 66' RH fenders are all dried up from online vendors. What is the best alternative at this time should I not locate one? Mostly concerned about fit and finish (not concours build.) Still Golden Legion?

Dennis

65' Stang Street/Strip:

Dart 434W NA, G101A 4 Spd, 4:56 rear, 93 octane pump gas pushing 3550lbs. [email protected]
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdu_pony View Post
well dang. I will probably need to have quite a bit of sheet metal replaced, but I am at least 2 years away from being able to buy it all and having a shop do the work (I don't have the tools & ability).

Hopefully there will still be sheet metal out there when it comes time to restore/restomod mine.
It won't be hopeless. This car is entirely repro exterior body panels, except for the hood and roof.

jamesdouglas1436 likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

You are correct, the RH is pretty much extinct, unless one randomly pops up on eBay from an individual.

And yes, IMHO, Golden Legion is the best overall fender in repro.

Rick
NPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis111 View Post
I hate to say it but I'm a little late at getting on this info bus . . . .

Seems that the OEM tooling 66' RH fenders are all dried up from online vendors. What is the best alternative at this time should I not locate one? Mostly concerned about fit and finish (not concours build.) Still Golden Legion?
John_Del likes this.
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 AM

Rick,
Are all of the listed items in your initial post currently available? Specifically 65/66 front valance and stone guard. I’ll be in Ocala Saturday, but neither item appears on the online catalog.
Asm109 likes this.

Honk if you understand "radiator theory"
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63BGT66 View Post
Rick,
Are all of the listed items in your initial post currently available? Specifically 65/66 front valance and stone guard. Iíll be in Ocala Saturday, but neither item appears on the online catalog.
When our truck arrived there for the first load, they filled it with hoods... 64 1/2 and 65-66 hoods.. That was it.

I really can't know what the next trailer-load will be until they load it and bill it. But short term, no, we won't have anything here for you this Saturday.

Rick
NPD
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
When our truck arrived there for the first load, they filled it with hoods...
Every time the bus arrives where I work, I get the same thing - it's full of hoods. (I work at a state prison). Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I've started a blog about my car and adventures: http://65mustangfun.blogspot.com/

1965 Fastback, 289, Toploader 4 Speed, owned by me since June 1980. Originally a C-code with a C-4. 5R09C16****
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:54 AM

Thank you Rick,

I was thinking I was just inept and unable to find the front valances on your website.
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 AM

Just placed order for hood for the 65. Timely that I got ready for new hood just as all this came out.

Daniel

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page