Question about alternator wiring for 67 Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By awhtx
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17
Question about alternator wiring for 67 Mustang

Hoping for some help. I have noticed that one of the wires (two wires with a single loop at the end) coming from my alternator is not connected to anything but covered in electrical tape. I have a 289 V-8 with a MSD system on it. I am wondering whether this should be connected to the battery terminal side of the solenoid or I should just leave it. I have attached a picture with the wire circled. Thanks for any help you can give. Also does anyone have a photo of what the wiring should look like on the back of the alternator?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67 alternator wiring photo.jpg (192.4 KB, 9 views)
Barman10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
awhtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Hill Country of Central Texas
Posts: 8,982
Stolen from a Mustang blog.


"You have a black wire with a red stripe that is attached to the post on the back of the alternator marked 'Grd'. This is, that's right, the ground. This is basically one wire with three ends. One end is attached to the alternator, one end is attached to the engine block on the same bolt that the negative battery cable is attached to, and the third end goes through the headlight harness and is attached to the radiator core support with one of the screws that holds the voltage regulator onto the car."
awhtx is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhtx View Post
Stolen from a Mustang blog.


"You have a black wire with a red stripe that is attached to the post on the back of the alternator marked 'Grd'. This is, that's right, the ground. This is basically one wire with three ends. One end is attached to the alternator, one end is attached to the engine block on the same bolt that the negative battery cable is attached to, and the third end goes through the headlight harness and is attached to the radiator core support with one of the screws that holds the voltage regulator onto the car."
So, is the circular wire connected with the two wires going to it supposed to be grounded to the engine block?
Barman10 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:39 PM
Senior Member
 
awhtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Hill Country of Central Texas
Posts: 8,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman10 View Post
So, is the circular wire connected with the two wires going to it supposed to be grounded to the engine block?

Yes, at the lower right front corner of the block. The negative battery cable is also supposed to be connected there.
awhtx is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
196667Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 390
Barman10 : I can Post an illustration showing the connections to the Alternator, but first need to know a couple of things that do make a difference.

1) The harness that you pictured is for a 289 that has the in-dash Tachometer Option - is that what you have ?

2) Does your car have the Thermactor System ?

Bob
196667Bob is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 196667Bob View Post
Barman10 : I can Post an illustration showing the connections to the Alternator, but first need to know a couple of things that do make a difference.

1) The harness that you pictured is for a 289 that has the in-dash Tachometer Option - is that what you have ?

2) Does your car have the Thermactor System ?

Bob
I do not have an in dash tach and I do not have the air pump pollution control system. Thanks for your help!
Barman10 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:02 AM
Senior Member
 
NEFaurora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 8,644
Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Looks like the engine Block Ground to me as was suggested above.

)

Tony K.



Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!
NEFaurora is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:31 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman10 View Post
Hoping for some help. I have noticed that one of the wires (two wires with a single loop at the end) coming from my alternator is not connected to anything but covered in electrical tape. I have a 289 V-8 with a MSD system on it. I am wondering whether this should be connected to the battery terminal side of the solenoid or I should just leave it. I have attached a picture with the wire circled. Thanks for any help you can give. Also does anyone have a photo of what the wiring should look like on the back of the alternator?

Here is how it is wired on my 67 289 coupe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3FD5AC2B-2753-4D97-B9E8-1DC7D5CC2373_1554337805743.jpg (334.4 KB, 3 views)
r_galletta is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 AM
Senior Member
 
196667Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 390
As note previously, the harness you pictured is not for a 289 without the in dash tachometer. The correct harness only has two wires with rubber boots on them. A harness with three rubber boots is either for a 289 with in dash tachometer, or for a 390.

Attached are illustrations showing first the 289 without tachometer, and secondly, a 289 with tachometer.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 289 Alt without Tach.JPG (52.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 289 Alternator with Tach (1).jpg (68.6 KB, 4 views)
196667Bob is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Senior Member
 
awhtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Hill Country of Central Texas
Posts: 8,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_galletta View Post
Here is how it is wired on my 67 289 coupe

Welcome to VMF.
That is not where the ground wire is supposed to be connected. If you look at the diagrams in the post below yours you will see the proper location for the ground wire attachment.
awhtx is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Woodchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Peoples Republic of Vermont
Posts: 32,912
Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by 196667Bob View Post
As note previously, the harness you pictured is not for a 289 without the in dash tachometer. The correct harness only has two wires with rubber boots on them. A harness with three rubber boots is either for a 289 with in dash tachometer, or for a 390.

Attached are illustrations showing first the 289 without tachometer, and secondly, a 289 with tachometer.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Right. The alternator harness for a car WITHOUT the in-dash tachometer (aka has an ammeter) will only have 3 connections at the alternator, not 4... BAT, FLD and a ground. The STA post will remain unused.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

Woodchuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
65 Mustang GT K-Code Question 93celicaconv Vintage Mustang Forum 10 02-05-2019 09:20 PM
Trivia question: what would the average payments be on a new Mustang in 1965? KarlJay Vintage Mustang Forum 37 01-16-2019 03:04 PM
Classic Mustang Question Davew01 Vintage Mustang Forum 35 09-02-2018 07:22 AM
'68 Mustang interior door skin question 1truepony Vintage Mustang Forum 7 06-01-2018 12:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome