I changed my oil last night, and the car wouldn't start after that. I'll start with a little background first.
289, Pertronix, working perfectly before oil change. I jacked it up and changed the oil. Nothing interesting happened. I pulled the coil wire and turned it over a couple times to fill up the oil filter. Put the coil wire back on and here we are. So far, I've done the following to troubleshoot.
1) Measured primary and secondary resistance at coil. .8ohm, 4.1k ohm. Probably fine.
2) Measured voltage at coil with key on and while turning over. 3.1vdc both times. Seems low.
3) Supplied 12vdc to coil + and tried to start. Nothing.
4) Check voltage to pertronix. 12.01vdc. Fine there
5) Ohmed out coil wire, plug wires. They are fine.
6) Checked under cap. Found a bunch of weirdness.
A: weights are missing?
B: shaft moves up and down and rotates 5-10 degrees freely.
C: Verifed that it was spinning with the motor.
If I want to go back to points, how much am I missing? (See pic.) Am I just better off sticking with pertronix? Is that rotational free play as big a problem as I think it is? And no, I didn't have the key on when changing the oil.