• 1 Post By Huskinhano
  • 1 Post By spliffy007
  • 1 Post By PJS289

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Radar Love
Supporting Member

Garage
Killing Tinker Bell

I've discovered a jingle-jangling noise coming from somewhere inside my center dash area whenever I exceed about 80mph. Now I suppose I could look at this two different ways, the first being to consider it my own little speed limit warning signal. I mean, what am I doing going that fast anyways, right? Just leave her be. Or knowing that I just might (ahem) exceed interstate speed limits from time to time, I could dig onupinandunder there, find that little pixie, and send her back to Neverland. You must understand, launching a search and destroy mission into that amazon forest behind the dash is a nasty job for me. There are bad things that can befall on such an expedition, like making something else not work afterwards, and that's not to mention putting it all back together and discovering I didn't find that little biotch after all. My biggest fear (and it's a valid one) is that Tinker Bell is hiding in one of the original wiper arm linkages. Ugh.
The purpose of this thread is that I'm procrastinating. I'm great at that by the way, world class.

To the tune of Carly Simon's "Anticipation":

And tomorrow, we might still be together
No expert, I don't know Tinker's ways
So I'll try, there's no time like today right now
and have a beer, cuz' these are the good old days

Procrastination, procrastination
I'm Tinker Bell bait
She's driving me crazy.
So there's nothing for it but to go poking around in there and take ammo with me. Look out Tink, here I come.

I reconfigured a base '68 coupe a little bit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:30 PM

Tinker bell can be a real mother ******
Huntingky likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Does the car vibrate more at 80mph and does it always consistently happen at the same speed?
Could it be coming from the speedometer? Maybe something inside there doesn't like going that fast.

We could try to take a ride down on 64 where we can get it up to speed and I can try to help trace where it's coming from.

Dan
Chapel Hill, NC
***PM me if you're close by and can lend a hand with my 65 Fastback project***

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:35 PM

Sounds like the title of Bill O'Reilly's next book. Happy hunting!
Mach1 Driver likes this.

Spliffy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Radar Love
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Babb View Post
Does the car vibrate more at 80mph and does it always consistently happen at the same speed?
Could it be coming from the speedometer?
It's smooth and stable over 90mph, as fast as I've bothered to test it. Yeah, right about 80mph the clinky intermittent jingle happens. Sounds like a washer bouncing around or something like that. The speedo is run by sensor. Passengers tell me what I already suspected, up under the center dash somewhere is the source. If I can't find it, looking now, I'll bring it your way with the console, radio, etc. out and maybe we can find it at speed. Thanks.

I reconfigured a base '68 coupe a little bit...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:00 AM

Is it the shifter linkage? Mine decides to jangle every once in a while and if I put my hand on the shifter knob it stops. It's just the brass bushings on the shifter resonating but it can sound like it's up under the dash, at least in my case.

Calamity Jane 1966 Modified Fastback - Driven semi-daily!
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

See my travel blog here for my adventures: http://mapandamustang.blogspot.com/
Over 50,000 miles of North American roads driven on road trips since 2014. More always in the works - stay tuned!

When I show up at a car show and my car is covered in mud, it's probably because I drove 2000 miles to get there
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:06 PM

I'll bet you a Timbit that you have a broken drivers COWL VENT pull cable. The steel C-clip that holds the pull knob assembly in place on the backside of the dash bracket might be loose causing the 'jangle". Tink has been riding with me for most of 30 years now. I finally bought a new cowl vent to install - good bye to my Tink this summer. Good luck locating yours.
4ocious likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page