Best Early Hood? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 9Likes
  • 6 Post By 69bossnine
  • 2 Post By 69bossnine
  • 1 Post By DrHawkeye

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Best Early Hood?

I am too the point of needing to get new hood ordered for my 65. Not sure if I have early 65 or late, I will have to check tonight. I assume, that the folded edge might be preferable to non folded, but it looks like there may be several versions. I am pretty certain that I remember having the front edge chrome and think I saw it on a high shelf the other night.
Is there a reason (not concerned over concourse correct) to get one version over the other ?

Also, NPD lists one as being not only much cheaper than the original Ford tooling, but also claims it is improved over the original. I was planning to spend the extra $$ for Ford tooling but... Anyone want to comment?

Rick, @69bossnine , you want to lend your guidance?

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingky View Post
I am too the point of needing to get new hood ordered for my 65. Not sure if I have early 65 or late, I will have to check tonight. I assume, that the folded edge might be preferable to non folded, but it looks like there may be several versions. I am pretty certain that I remember having the front edge chrome and think I saw it on a high shelf the other night.
Is there a reason (not concerned over concourse correct) to get one version over the other ?
If your car's build date (door tag) is August 1964 or earlier, then you might want to invest in a 64 1/2 hood... It's not a matter of "preferable", it's just a matter of what's right for your car.

That said, there is only one choice for a 64 1/2 hood, and that's Original Ford Tooling. Taiwan doesn't make a 64 1/2 style hood. To further compound your confusion, the Original Ford Tooling 64 1/2 hoods (NPD # 16612-0) were manufactured using the late-1966-style frame (all 65-66 Original Ford Tooling hoods use this frame), so it's not as concours-correct as an original production hood would be. I honestly don't know the differences on the frames lol!! I'm sure someone here brighter than me regarding 64 1/2 and 65 can answer it.

Quote:
Also, NPD lists one as being not only much cheaper than the original Ford tooling, but also claims it is improved over the original. I was planning to spend the extra $$ for Ford tooling but... Anyone want to comment?

Hmmmm..... We have been aggressively trying to add content to our website to assist in better SEO, and I think that whoever wrote the spiel for our 16612-1C hood online is a rogue employee who misinterpreted what "improved" means.

Our cheaper 16612-1C reproduction hood is improved and better than OTHER REPRODUCTIONS. It is manufactured by CK, and I do indeed consider it to be the gold-standard for reproduction hoods. BUT... there is no basis to consider it to be "an improved design compared to the original".

Please disregard that blather, and I'm going to jump on the source of it.

Hope I helped you decide, instead of just confuse!

Rick
NPD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Much 'preciated Rick!

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post

Hmmmm..... We have been aggressively trying to add content to our website to assist in better SEO, and I think that whoever wrote the spiel for our 16612-1C hood online is a rogue employee who misinterpreted what "improved" means.

Our cheaper 16612-1C reproduction hood is improved and better than OTHER REPRODUCTIONS. It is manufactured by CK, and I do indeed consider it to be the gold-standard for reproduction hoods. BUT... there is no basis to consider it to be "an improved design compared to the original".

Please disregard that blather, and I'm going to jump on the source of it.

Hope I helped you decide, instead of just confuse!

Rick
NPD
Yeah, it says better than the "original". I am guessing they mean the original reproduction and NOT the original hood.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Yeah, it says better than the "original". I am guessing they mean the original reproduction and NOT the original hood.
That entire spiel is coming down tonight, and a Come to Jesus meeting regarding web-content will be happening tomorrow..

Nothing that bugs me more when I'm cruising around on other parts websites is when I see a bunch of B.S. and nonsense pumping up a part that's just a part. So you can imagine how ruffled I get when I see something like that put up on our site. I'm glad you pointed it out to me!!

Rick
NPD
HarryZ and Huntingky like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
That entire spiel is coming down tonight, and a Come to Jesus meeting regarding web-content will be happening tomorrow..

Nothing that bugs me more when I'm cruising around on other parts websites is when I see a bunch of B.S. and nonsense pumping up a part that's just a part. So you can imagine how ruffled I get when I see something like that put up on our site. I'm glad you pointed it out to me!!

Rick
NPD
I wouldn't be too tough, it probably seemed perfectly clear in the mind of the person that did it. I can pick apart a technical diagram, then stumble over a sales pitch, need it spelled out for me.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:22 PM

Garage
I could really confuse the mix and bring up the 3 different versions of the early hoods, but probably not needed in this regard.
Huntingky likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
Quote:

If you're talking about the '65 fastback in your sig, you want the folded edge.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:40 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHawkeye View Post
If you're talking about the '65 fastback in your sig, you want the folded edge.
Ah, good catch, I'd not noticed the fastback mentioned in the signature...

That puts either the Ford Tooling or the reproduction 65-66 hoods into play.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Ordered this earlier today https://www.npdlink.com/product/1965.../102385/204924

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:38 PM

What is the build date of the car? There are actually 2 types of "64 1/2" hoods, those for pre August 64 cars and another used on early production cars, or at least some mid to late April and earlier production. These are like regular 65-66 hoods in that they have the folded corners, but don't have the holes punched on the underside of the leading edge that are used to mount trim. They also have different reinforcement humps stamped into the bottom structure.

I found this out upon researching my 64 Indy Pace car coupe. I have since seen this hood type on several other early production cars.

This hood is not reproduced.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by degins View Post
What is the build date of the car? There are actually 2 types of "64 1/2" hoods, those for pre August 64 cars and another used on early production cars, or at least some mid to late April and earlier production. These are like regular 65-66 hoods in that they have the folded corners, but don't have the holes punched on the underside of the leading edge that are used to mount trim. They also have different reinforcement humps stamped into the bottom structure.

I found this out upon researching my 64 Indy Pace car coupe. I have since seen this hood type on several other early production cars.

This hood is not reproduced.
Actually, there's 3 different '64.5 hoods, or at least that's what is talked about over at Concours Mustangs. I have a mid-March build (best guess since door plate missing), and have the non-folded edge hood, but the date code is obscured by paint, so I can't tell if it's the original hood or a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page