Explorer FRONT axle? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By GypsyR

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Explorer FRONT axle?

Hey all,

I'm looking to do an explorer 8.8 swap for my 67, but I was just curious about the front axle....

I am probably going to pick up a whole parts car. Is there any use for the front axle? At least for my setup? Hold on to the third member? If we scrap it and I don't sell the front axle, I just dont want to toss anything useful. I found one with 4.10 limited slip in it. I assume the front axle is way more off center, but are the diff parts the same? I.e. backup parts.

I assume nothing else is worth saving for a mustang. I'm just hoping to part it out and break even on my cost (or maybe even make some money).

Thanks for the help!

As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

See my Christian T Shirts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 AM

The front is going to be independent. Iím thinking it uses the 7.5Ē. Toss it.

When I was selling off the parts from my GT40P, the trans was a hard sell. I couldnít even give it away to local shops. Got $25 on CL for it, saved me a trip to the scrap yard. Even the intake wasnít easy. The hay day for the 5.0 Fox are gone and there are better intakes on the market. Sold the intake, injectors, the ECU along with all the harnesses for $150 and that took a long time to sell.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Around here you can sell the engine if it's a 5.0 and that's about it. Explorers with failed 4.0's and/or 5r55E transmissions are everywhere. You can sell those IF you can guarantee them or at least demonstrate that they work in a driving vehicle first. There are a few people still keeping theirs on the road and buying a part here and there but that's about it. There aren't even many people wanting rear ends, much less the fronts. Just let it go.
Huskinhano likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe985 View Post
I assume the front axle is way more off center, but are the diff parts the same? I.e. backup parts.
The Explorer front axle is a Dana. Not even close to the 8.8.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page