clutch recommendations - Vintage Mustang Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

clutch recommendations

Finally getting close to motor installation time and realized I never bought a new clutch. Leaning toward either McLeod 75113 ($235) or 75213 ($292).

It looks like the only difference between them is the more expensive one has a ceramic disc. What is the benefit of that?

Both of them have reviews that say they are super stiff (probably the same pressure plate). That's fine with me - the unknown-brand clutch I had before was stiffer than a choir boy at a sorority pool party.

I know Centerforce is supposed to be the shiznit but I'm not spending $480.... and that one doesn't include the throwout bearing.

They also have a couple of Zoom kits.

I have a fairly hot 302, T-5z, 9" with a locker. Probably won't ever race (legally). What do y'all recommend?

pollock

Go Mean Green!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 AM

Sachs.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
Check with MDL for their 10.5" hybrid organic or full Kevlar. The Kevlars, are not affected by oil, if any rear seal seepage.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Are 10" and 10.5" interchangeable? Is that only driven by the flywheel? My old clutch was 10" but I have a new flywheel.

pollock

Go Mean Green!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock View Post
Are 10" and 10.5" interchangeable? Is that only driven by the flywheel? My old clutch was 10" but I have a new flywheel.
"Interchangeable"? NO. Best practice dictates replacing both pressure plate and clutch as a matched set. Yes, these two should match. Do clean, and inspect the flywheel surface for unusual wear. Do replace the pilot bearing and check the throwout bearing as well.
Huskinhano likes this.

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Dimples

Garage
I have been very pleased with the longevity and clutch feel of my Centerforce. I don't recall the part number, but it's basically the centerforce that everyone used/uses on 5.0/T5 combos. I'm not sure if a 28oz flywheel (if that's what you have) would be different, but I don't see why it would.

The anvil of reality.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
Check with MDL for their 10.5" hybrid organic or full Kevlar. The Kevlars, are not affected by oil, if any rear seal seepage.
Maybe kevlar isn't affected by the disc sopping up oil, but oil between a disc and flywheel will ALWAYS have relevance on clutch performance.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock View Post
Finally getting close to motor installation time and realized I never bought a new clutch. Leaning toward either McLeod 75113 ($235) or 75213 ($292).

It looks like the only difference between them is the more expensive one has a ceramic disc. What is the benefit of that?

Both of them have reviews that say they are super stiff (probably the same pressure plate). That's fine with me - the unknown-brand clutch I had before was stiffer than a choir boy at a sorority pool party.

I know Centerforce is supposed to be the shiznit but I'm not spending $480.... and that one doesn't include the throwout bearing.

They also have a couple of Zoom kits.

I have a fairly hot 302, T-5z, 9" with a locker. Probably won't ever race (legally). What do y'all recommend?
You don't need a whiz-bang Centerforce for a "fairly hot" 302.
Here's one for $270 that'll do the job and leave you $'s still for a throw-out bearing and pilot.....
Centerforce II Clutch Kits MST559000

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c.../model/mustang
1966notch likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:14 PM

My old 302 had a Rockauto close out special. If I wasn’t given a free King Cobra clutch kit, I would have reused my old one on my new motor. My flywheel is drilled for SAE and metric.

I’m probably making around 280 hp with mine. Imo a stock kit would be fine. The tires are going to spin long before the clutch slips. A light pressure plate is easier on the main thrust bearing too.
2nd 66 likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT289 View Post
Maybe kevlar isn't affected by the disc sopping up oil, but oil between a disc and flywheel will ALWAYS have relevance on clutch performance.

Good Point!

KenA..
Severna Park, Maryland
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
My old 302 had a Rockauto close out special. If I wasnít given a free King Cobra clutch kit, I would have reused my old one on my new motor. My flywheel is drilled for SAE and metric.

Iím probably making around 280 hp with mine. Imo a stock kit would be fine. The tires are going to spin long before the clutch slips. A light pressure plate is easier on the main thrust bearing too.
+1

Never found the need for a crazy pressure setup. The factory Long has always served me well, just buy a new known good brand. I've worn a couple out, but never had slippage issues. If you plan on drag racing with slicks, that's when you need to upgrade your clutch.

Nothing worthwhile is ever quick, cheap or easy, those that can't do, complain

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
"Interchangeable"? NO. Best practice dictates replacing both pressure plate and clutch as a matched set. Yes, these two should match. Do clean, and inspect the flywheel surface for unusual wear. Do replace the pilot bearing and check the throwout bearing as well.
I wasn't suggesting mixing and matching a 10" disc with a 10.5" plate, or vise versa. Just trying to understand what determines which diameter I need. I assume it's the flywheel.

pollock

Go Mean Green!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:37 PM

Garage
I'm using a Duralast kit from AZ 10" GT 40p Edelbrock heads B 303 cam
Huskinhano likes this.

Brad
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Dug around and found this. Looks like it's possible to use a 10" or 10.5" on the same flywheel.

I'll dig up my flywheel and check it out. IIRC, it's a Luk that I bought a few years ago from rockauto. Probably has multiple hole patterns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flywheel ID.jpg (121.8 KB, 5 views)

pollock

Go Mean Green!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:35 PM

Do you have a flywheel? Is it new or used? They actually have a service limit on how much it can be cut. Each time itís cut it moves the clutch plate closer to the engine and away from the clutch fork and bearing. The fork ends up not having enough throw to fully disengage the clutch.

I bought a PRW volley wheel. SFI rated. A little over kill but it uses a bolt on weight so it can be used on any sbf. Itís also drilled for every pressure plate wether SAE or metric with dowels. This was convent since I was able to use the 5.0 clutch kit given to me.

I recently brought the flywheel to a machine shop to check balance. I was getting a little vibration I thought and wanted to check it so I could rule it out. The shop wanted to compare the PRW wheel to the flexplate that came on the motor. The owner said the PRW wheel was very good. It wasnít off at all but slightly differed to the flexplate by 10 grams. Thatís not to say the flexplate was exactly 50 oz but rather balanced to the motor. Anyway he was impressed at how close it was and said 10 grams wouldnít be enough to notice on a street motor. They did remove 10 grams from the weight to match the flexplate.

Iím in the process of putting a new exhaust in so itís not running just yet.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page