A better Distributor - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 18Likes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:36 AM

Garage
First, send it to Dan for re-curve and rebuild.If you are still insistent to go electronic, add the Pertronic kit. However, if you like to fiddle and tinker, a good set of Points & Condenser Kit is the best way.
Caper50 and BAMLxC like this.

KenA..
64 1/2 Poppy Red Cvt. Resto-Mod
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, Maryland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:58 AM

Garage
I have a Duraspark in my car. I also have a spare box and coil in my garage since I saw another donor car on one of my junkyard visits.
That said, the stock ignition from when it was new is still a good system and properly adjusted they work well.
120mm likes this.

___
JeffH

66 Coupe, 302-4V, SROD
(had to create new username when I changed email address)
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstcar66 View Post
I have my original distributor, rebuilt, now has a Pertronix Ignitor II since February 1998 because the original Ignitor suddenly stopped working while I was 2 hours from home BUT I had my points plate with fresh points and condenser ready to drop in until the new Ignitor II came. 15 minutes to diagnose, swap, and on my way. I still have the same points plate in my glove box, just in case...

I also have my old points in the trunk. Easy roadside fix if needed. Timing might be off but should be okay to get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarson View Post
Don't waste your money on a MSD distributor, get a Duraspark...same thing for $80 at any parts store. Pick up a Duraspark module for $40 and you are in business. I've been running one for 31 years in my '69 Mach 1. My wifes 67 and my sons 65 are running Pertronics, both work great.
I agree with the duraspark.
Although I use a MSD box with mine.

The best distributor is the one that reliably sends spark to all the cylinders.
120mm and BAMLxC like this.

1970 Mustang coupe
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
#2 Put electronics inside what you have and tell your friends #1. Hot Spark Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit Replaces Points - All Underneath the Distributor Cap
I put a Pertronix in mine about 12 years ago and haven't looked back. No need for high power ignition controller boxes either. Fits under the dizzy cap. That Hot Spark conversion looks like the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
dyno comparison told me the aftermarket distributors won't make more horsepower than a stock distributor w/ points, so there's no performance gain.

However, if you are really pressed for time, an electronic type distributors will save you about 15 minutes every 7,500 miles since they don't need adjusting
Dyno comparison is the same, right after the points are filed and adjusted. But every minute that engine is running, the performance of the points is degrading. You can notice the performance degradation within 1,200-1,500 miles, so that's the interval at which I used to file and gap my points. It's easy to do on the Mustang, so no big deal, but its nice to set it and forget it!

Now if you're looking for serious performance, forget the MSD and Mallory boxes. Get a Pantera Electronics EIS box. American made, great customer service, 100x faster than an MSD, will fire wet plugs, and has a host of other great features to protect your investment in your performance engine - anti-theft capability, auto-retards timing at start-up, auto disengages AC compressor if you romp it to get that horsepower back when you need it most, etc. I run this ignition on my Pantera.
https://www.pantera-electronics.com/eis.htm

69 Cutlass Convertible
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
I put an electronic converter thingy in 20+ years ago, and had no issues. Don't even remember which one. And that was after I went the dual-point route, but keeping those adjusted was just a pain. I haven't had the top off the distributor since I made the change.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 05:31 PM

Another vote for Duraspark, here.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 09:10 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth66 View Post
"...........Dyno comparison is the same, right after the points are filed and adjusted. But every minute that engine is running, the performance of the points is degrading. You can notice the performance degradation within 1,200-1,500 miles, so that's the interval at which I used to file and gap my points. ....."
an overreaching statement, imho. If your points are degrading that much then either they or the condenser were poor quality to begin with, or improperly installed.

Quality points go 7,500 miles easily without the need to adjust anything, and with no performance hit. I can't count the times I've checked dwell and point gap at the 7,500 mile mark, and found out there was no adjustment needed. If there is a measurable horsepower decline or a substantial adjustment needed, change the brand of points and condenser, but no need to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Do points degrade over time ? Sure, especially if they are oil soaked, or the condenser is sub-par. But if one manages to use quality parts, the horsepower hit is in the 1/100's of a horsepower, not tenth's or whole numbers. Why get excited over that is beyond me at this point in time. There was a time when I drank the MSD / Pertronix kool-aid. But I've been deprogrammed.

Z

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:56 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Oh so THAT'S why you unloaded that nasty old ignition box on some unsuspecting sucker. Now it comes out.

I have not seen points degradation in 1000-1500 miles myself. BUT I haven't really been looking. Having taken up looking into stuff more deeply with a ignition scope for fun and profit the last few years I will have to keep that in mind as something to pay attention to. With a scope you can pick out miniscule ignition issues that don't show up any other way. BUT you kind of want a baseline to compare with to get anything out of the process. So I'd have record a trace with new parts and then remember to do it again for a comparison run however many miles later and .....OH MY GOD I'M NEVER GOING TO GET ANYTHING DONE. Getting off here and going outside.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 11:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Oh so THAT'S why you unloaded that nasty old ignition box on some unsuspecting sucker. Now it comes out. ....".
Well, it was free.

Z

PS. did you hook it up yet ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page