Need to find switched fuse source - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 22GT
  • 1 Post By gnsh

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Need to find switched fuse source

Hi Friends

My gauge protect requires that I find a switched power source from the fuse box. that is when the key is off so should be my fuse source I wish to use. It just hit me the Radio should be that source. My radio is hot wired now.

Can anyone help me located the correct fuse. It's so darn hard to see down there?

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.co...68-gradeb.html

thx

66 Fastback

289 Auto C4 "C" code with added 4 bbl

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:19 AM

Any reason not to add an AGC tap to the accessory fuse? That's keyed. Or am I misunderstanding the question?

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:52 AM

When Ford dealers added an accessory, it was connected to the threaded spike on the back of the ignition switch. Such accessories, such as AC, radio, tape player, had an inline fuse. Quick, easy and safe.

66Ccode likes this.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ryan View Post
Any reason not to add an AGC tap to the accessory fuse? That's keyed. Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Wow Ryan That's Immensely great . I need to find one of those. Would I search On ebay under ADC tap?

66 Fastback

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
When Ford dealers added an accessory, it was connected to the threaded spike on the back of the ignition switch. Such accessories, such as AC, radio, tape player, had an inline fuse. Quick, easy and safe.

Hey 22gt Thanks for the info . Yes I have one of those fuses unused and hanging. I should check to see if its hot when the key is off. I need to find a fuse that is off to tap power from when the key is off. A fuse that will be used to power a gauge converted from Amps to volts,

https://www.rccinnovations.com/

66 Fastback

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:54 PM

I think I misread your original question. Do you need a fuse for the component you're installing, or just power off the fuse block?

If you need a fuse, then I change my recommendation to the same as 22GT: use the threaded rod at the back of the ignition switch and use a separate fuse for that component. In-line AGC fuses are easiest to find. That way you're not going to blow some other fuse because you have two components drawing power off a fuse meant for a lighter load.

What, exactly, are you installing?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:59 PM

You could tap power from the correct side of the CVR on the cluster. Wouldn't take much wire, and it's already fused.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 AM

If you want to wire into the fuse box anything coming from location 1 or 2 will provide switched power. See the back of the fuse box which shows that you will want to connect onto the circuit on the right of 1 (Black #131) or to the bottom of 2 (Brown #181). These numbers are also listed on wiring schematic.

If you follow #131 out of the fuse box on the schematic you will also see that it connects to a triple bullet female plug, which is a factory location to pull switched power. The wiring schematic shows the radio connected to this location and some cars also have the power for the (optional accessory) reverse lights coming out of this location. You can "tap" into this location with a .176" male bullet connector Dorman P/N#86457. Keep in mind that there are multiple diameters of bullet connectors so as they say 'size does matter' if you want a correct fit with the factory plug.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuse-box-diagram-1.jpg (23.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 1965-mustang-fuse-panel-box-diagram-page-2-ford-65.jpg (118.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 65 Mustang Accessories.jpg (344.4 KB, 17 views)
66#3 likes this.

Last edited by gnsh; 03-30-2019 at 12:25 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 02:11 AM

Correction: I'm not sure the CVR is fused. If not, wire an inline fuse holder between the black-green at the CVR and the gauge. A ground somewhere on the cluster if you can.
All contained where it needs to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro-Blade-Fuse-Holder.jpg (149.3 KB, 4 views)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:37 AM

Just tap into the wire feeding power to the radio, or another similar wire, with one of these. No cutting of the wire and they fit common 18 gauge and other gauges.

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnsh View Post
If you want to wire into the fuse box anything coming from location 1 or 2 will provide switched power. See the back of the fuse box which shows that you will want to connect onto the circuit on the right of 1 (Black #131) or to the bottom of 2 (Brown #181). These numbers are also listed on wiring schematic.

If you follow #131 out of the fuse box on the schematic you will also see that it connects to a triple bullet female plug, which is a factory location to pull switched power. The wiring schematic shows the radio connected to this location and some cars also have the power for the (optional accessory) reverse lights coming out of this location. You can "tap" into this location with a .176" male bullet connector Dorman P/N#86457. Keep in mind that there are multiple diameters of bullet connectors so as they say 'size does matter' if you want a correct fit with the factory plug.

HI

Thanks for the Diagram. To answer my own question I will try to tap the fuse off the top fuse marked No 1 in the diagram. This should be my on off power I want. I have blown two fuses already . Can anyone recommend a online location to purchase replacements ?

I will keep everyone informed on the new gauge wiring project as listed in thread above.

Thx!

66 Fastback

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO_71 View Post
Just tap into the wire feeding power to the radio, or another similar wire, with one of these. No cutting of the wire and they fit common 18 gauge and other gauges.

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

Thanks Steve

Easier said than done! My radio get power on only when the door is open, yes push the door plunger and cuts the radio. So point here is how do I find the correct radio wire that will be a switched wire. cant see any unused open socket plug son nay obvious wires under there ! So cant i just tap into a fuse and which fuse?? which turns on and off or an I confused about that too.

66 Fastback

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:52 PM

I am still running the factory fuses and had to purchase fuses online from Amazon/eBay as no standard parts store (Oreilly/AutoZone) seemed to have them.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:17 PM

I made a Y connector to plug in before the resistor wire off the switch. This now controls a relay switching a 30 amp, 10 gauge wire off the battery to a auxiliary fuse block. Everything will work better off this due to less voltage drop on the factory harness. The more load on the harness, the greater the voltage loss. When I had a electric choke, it worked so much better.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:20 PM

It sounds like your radio is powered by the courtesy light circuit. It should be powered by the accessory circuit. The genius who installed that radio randomly tested wires for power- with the doors open! I don't fully understand what the "radio light" that seems to be wired into the courtesy light harness does. Check against a wiring diagram for your car.

http://averagejoerestoration.com/res...s/66acces1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page