3Likes
  • 1 Post By Huskinhano
  • 1 Post By GT289
  • 1 Post By GT289

Old 03-29-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
ID this aftermarket UCA

Hey all, I was offered a set of aftermarket tubular upper control arms for cheap, which are supposedly off of a Mustang, but I couldn't find any markings on them. Anyone know which brand these are and how to verify if they're for a 64-66 vs 67-later Mustang?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-03-29 13.10.15.jpg (548.8 KB, 23 views)

66 GT350 Tribute in Sapphire Blue built over 12-years and finally being driven!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 06:55 PM

Global West. Very good arms. They get lowered 1 3/8Ē instead of 1 inch and the hole need to be 9/16Ē I believe. Hopefully @GT289 will chime in. The only negative, they donít have extra caster built in thatís common with the newer control arms from various companies including newer Global West

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Old 03-29-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Thanks, Tom! It appears these are Global West MNR-46?
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Globa...Arms,8897.html

Since I already have the Shelby/Arning drop, I guess I could get away with just using my existing holes but I wouldn't realize the full potential of these until I weld/drill new holes.

Also, these must be older versions of the MNR-46 since in the stock photo you can see in the red circles that they have the bolts welded and feature contoured sections shown in the green circle and red arrows, all of which these used versions lack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91034270_L_c8e0d760-c557-4faa-87d9-256629660dc9.jpg (23.4 KB, 6 views)

Old 03-29-2019, 07:28 PM

Those are MNR-73....... 1967 and up. They have the wide bolt pattern where they mount to the car.
Look to be really old construction; doesn't look like powder paint. Spacer plates are not GW's, but
look to be 3/8" thick as they should be.
If they are rattle can painted, they may be really early (like 80's).
Some of those came with the 1 1/2" drop template...... that's what's on my '66.
As mentioned 1 3/8" down is the drop these days.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 PM

My guess is you were full tilt racing probably a small amount. On the street I don’t think you’ll notice anything especially with street tires.

I have Street or Track upper control arms. They’re supplied with a 1” drop template. I was well aware at the time that GW lowers theirs 1 3/8”. I could have easily done that with mine and I did give it serious thought. I stuck with 1”. I did so because the more you change things the greater side effects it will have. I’m more then happy with the 1” drop. The more you lower the arms, the more the front is going to sit lower. It’s going to effect everything it interacts with more. Again I think you’ll be happy atv1”.
Brent likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

Last edited by Huskinhano; 03-29-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Ok, I can see the wider bolt pattern now. Would it be possible to buy these arms and then order the correct '66 shaft and Del-a-lum rebuild kit from GW or is the arm geometry also different from 66 vs 67?

Old 03-29-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Thanks, Tom! It appears these are Global West MNR-46?
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Globa...Arms,8897.html

Since I already have the Shelby/Arning drop, I guess I could get away with just using my existing holes but I wouldn't realize the full potential of these until I weld/drill new holes.

Also, these must be older versions of the MNR-46 since in the stock photo you can see in the red circles that they have the bolts welded and feature contoured sections shown in the green circle and red arrows, all of which these used versions lack.
All MNR-46 (1965/66 cars) have the bolt heads welded to the cross shaft. MNR-73 (67-up) are not welded.
Bolt size on all MNR's is 9/16 and grade 5, which is actually stronger than Ford's 1/2, roughly grade 8, mounting bolts.

A lot of the Shelby guys who were already at 1" down, rather then welding up the holes and re-drilling, just enlarged the
holes and slapped the GW arms in. All it does is slow/limit the amount of the "good" positive camber gain geometry.
It is still way better than just an Arning drop and stock UCAs.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Huskinhano likes this.

As the drill sergeant said, "I taught you everything you know. I didn't teach you everything I know."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by GT289; 03-29-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Ok, I can see the wider bolt pattern now. Would it be possible to buy these arms and then order the correct '66 shaft and Del-a-lum rebuild kit from GW or is the arm geometry also different from 66 vs 67?
Arm geometry is the same on MNR's from 65-73.
Theoretically "you" can swap the shafts....... I've never done it anywhere but at their shop.
Can be done because the arms are rebuildable.
You'd have to talk to Doug about getting two shafts and the Delrin, etc. (if he'll do it)
Worse case scenario is send them in and they'll do it.

If he'll do it at the shop and you want me to bird-dog it...... let me know. You DO NOT
want stuff wandering about unattended at their shop..... too much real estate, it'll get
lost & forgotten.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
Brent likes this.

- Douglas Adams
Old 03-29-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
I'll give GW a call Monday and see what the needed parts cost and if I decide to go ahead I'll let you know @GT289. Thanks guys!

Old 04-01-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Welp, spoke with GW today and they were quite helpful. Unfortunately, the costs aren't worth it. They don't just sell the shafts to rebuild the arms myself, due to what they said is needing to set "spacing", and the cost to send these '67 arms and have them rebuilt for a '66 would be around $470 in parts and labor (installing new shafts, bushings, ball joints). Plus, I'd still have to purchase the used arms from this guy. So I'd be well over $500 into these arms for a product that sells new for ~$590.

So if anyone is interested in these used GW 67+ Mustang UCAs, PM me and I'd be glad to link you both up. I wasn't told a price when asked, he just said give me a fair offer and I said I'd have to do some research.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in