Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Help with timing chain cover or fuel pump

6K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  2nd 66 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of building a 408 stroker. I bought a 96 351 block. I go to put the timing chain cover on and I see that there is no port for the fuel pump because they used electric fuel pumps in 96. Scott Drake makes a cover for a looks similar but it's not or a 96 351 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c5oz-6019-b/overview/ . Or do I go with an electronic fuel pump and if so, which one will fit? I don't want any trouble with the fuel gauge or tank, which I haven't got yet. I hate trying to piece meal things together. This aftermarket part don't work with that aftermarket part. So I thought the experts could guide me in the right direction. Thanks for you help.

#2 ·
I'm afraid you ARE going to have to "piece meal" things together in a custom application. You need the right cover, the right water pump and the right fuel pump eccentric- and you're going to have to learn what is right based on the available parts. Also the dipstick is a concern. If you're relying solely on what people tell you will work on the internet, without understanding why, then you have a fair chance of ending up with mismatched parts. The attachment should get you started.

Attachments

#3 ·
If you want to use a mechanical fuel pump you will need an early 289/302 cover. You will need to determine the type of water pump you want to use, the pump must match the timing cover. You will also need to determine what type of oil pan you need, if using a front sump, you will need to plug the dipstick hole in the side of the block. Drill and tap to 1/8" NPT and install a pipe plug with some sealer. Pioneer Products makes a replacement timing cover that will fit just as good as a OEM Ford cover, but cheaper.

#4 ·
That 96 engine had a rear oil sump. So the dipstick tube went into a hole near the back of the block. You will need a front sump oil pan and a timing cover with a dipstick hole for the front.
You will also need to plug that rear dipstick hole.

You will need to decide on a water pump and pulley arrangement. The 96 engine was reverse rotation and needs a timing cover and pulleys to match.
You can use a standard rotation water pump and timing cover if you would prefer. I think it makes things easier.

#7 ·
I decided to go with a mechanical pump and a conventional rotation (V-belt) water pump setup on my '96 5.8. So I found a two-piece fuel pump cam and bolted it onto the cam. The bolt and pin were matching lengths so no issue there. I found a timing cover in my stash that had the pump cutout but no dipstick hole. So drilled a dipstick hole and installed it. New chrome dipstick installed. Ordered a new aluminum "passenger inlet" water pump to match the outlet position of my radiator. Discovered the pump kind of obscures the timing pointer I chose that's on the passenger side. It actually hit the timing holder part of it so I trimmed that off. I highlighted the pointer with yellow paint and left it where it is. I don't expect to be fooling with the timing all that much. I figure that as long as I CAN actually see the mark I don't mind if it's a bit tricky. The local parts store sells a "Dorman water pump bolt kit" which intrigued me so I bought it. It turned out to be two long studs and one bolt. I was not impressed. The studs were the ones that tend to break off in the block but still...three fasteners? I ended up reusing some old bolts out of my stash and tossing the "kit" in there for another day.
That's as far as I've gotten on the front.

#8 ·
Another challenge, getting all the correct bolts. I found that the ARP water pump/timing chain bolt kit did not include all the required bolts either and ended up having to purchase a 2nd kit as you can not purchase the matching required bolts individually (that I could find).

#9 ·
I put the timing cover and water pump on with a couple of bolts just to hold them in place then took a straw from a can of wd40 and measured the depth of the bolt holes and went to the local hardware store and bought the bolts in the lengths I needed. I think it was much easier than trying to find a kit.

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
All of this said, I prefer an electric fuel pump, even if you just put a plate over the mechanical. Its nice to prime the motor especially after sitting a while, or if you run out of gas. It always starts first crank. Second, I have a switch so I can shut it off any time which I find useful when I turn the motor off and leave the car - especially during carb fires ;o). Its also nice if you flood the motor, just turn the pump off and it will start. Install it in the back by the tank.

#12 ·
Autozone sells aftermarket timing covers that have external seal that is installed from front without removing timing cover. It has a fuel pump provision and a place for dipstick or a plug for dipstick. Your choice.

#15 ·
I think I'm going to stay with the mechanical pump. I've already installed a two-piece eccentric and just need a new cover now. John thanks for the bolt links. I was thinking about using bolts from the local Ace but they're not hardened. Thanks everyone for the great information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.