I dont do shows or clubs.
120mm likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:13 PM

The formal shows don't do it for me either. I always enjoyed going to the Friday night cruises at the Dairy Queen or drive-in burger place, but that was about it for me. Nothing that needs to be said that hasn't already in regards to judgmental people/attitudes at shows, sitting around doing nothing all day, and disrespectful attendees. The biggest thing for me is that I get more enjoyment out of working on and driving my car than I do sitting around talking about it. I love it when people come up when I'm getting gas or food or whatever, but those interactions seem much more genuine than some guy who comes up at a show and acts nice while the whole time he is making mental notes about everything that's either wrong with yours or better on his. That's just not my scene. I'd much rather cruise 50 miles on a back road, grab some dinner, and cruise home.
fordguy and Brent like this.

1965 C-code Coupe - 289 w/ C4. 9" w/ 3.25 LSD, 4 wheel Street or Track discs, GT350 coils w/ Arning drop, 4.5" mideyes, Cal-Tracs.
post #48 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 PM

I guess Iím kind of lucky where I live. Iím about 10 minutes from my closest town. From mid May to mid September every Wednesday night the Canadian Tire (kind of an Auto Zone that sells car parts, camping stuff, home appliances, tools, etc) has a cruise night. Usually 60 to 80 cars show up. If I miss that one, the town about 25 minutes the other way has a Canadian Tire who has a cruise night on Thursdays. Donít want that one? How about Tuesday night at the town 40 minutes down the road. There are cruise nights every night of the week within an hour from my house. I like these cruise nights, stay an hour, stay all night, up to you. There are also several large shows throughout the summer. I donít take my cars to the big shows for most of the reasons already mentioned. Iíd rather be a spectator at the big ones.

Retro....Where everything old is new again.
70 Mach 1 351C Auto White/White, 68 Torino 427 S/O 4 speed Black/Black
68 Cyclone 302 J code 4 speed Calypso Coral/Black, 68 Cougar 289 Auto Burgundy/ Black, 78 F150 Ranger XLT Short Bed.
Dave

post #49 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
post #50 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
@66kcar showed up as he was in the area (w/o car)...... Maybe it's just me, and Iím not a very friend-able guy?
As you stated, I and my wife were up there on other business, not the car show. Since my car is quietly rusting away in the garage, I didn't attend any of the 'show' events. That said, we did make an effort to see the show and your car. This was based on meeting you in real life before and your pleasant/knowledgeable personality on line as well. So, that says I think you are friend-able (is that a word?).

I agree that the vast majority of the cars were new or almost new and owned, for the most part, by 'different' folks than own the older classics. Keep your chin up and continue to do the show circuit if you enjoy it.

On another note, seeing rare cars like yours is another reason I like to attend shows.
69GT350H likes this.
post #51 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66kcar View Post
As you stated, I and my wife were up there on other business, not the car show. Since my car is quietly rusting away in the garage, I didn't attend any of the 'show' events. That said, we did make an effort to see the show and your car. This was based on meeting you in real life before and your pleasant/knowledgeable personality on line as well. So, that says I think you are friend-able (is that a word?).

I agree that the vast majority of the cars were new or almost new and owned, for the most part, by 'different' folks than own the older classics. Keep your chin up and continue to do the show circuit if you enjoy it.

On another note, seeing rare cars like yours is another reason I like to attend shows.
And I thank you and your wife for taking the time out of your schedule to stop by and see me. :-)

Turns out I was on the edge of pneumonia. Seems I missed getting that sick but did end up with with a bronchial infection. :-(

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #52 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
The biggest thing for me is that I get more enjoyment out of working on and driving my car than I do sitting around talking about it.
I often drive to a small town near me to local coffee shop where bikers gather for rides. Lots of parking and my drive is country roads with nil traffic. Another issue is the road conditions near me are close to third world conditions due to winter damage.
post #53 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker393 View Post
I often drive to a small town near me to local coffee shop where bikers gather for rides. Lots of parking and my drive is country roads with nil traffic. Another issue is the road conditions near me are close to third world conditions due to winter damage.
I was leaving Bushes Baked Beans visitor center on the "Shine Run" (poker run) and headed back to Sevierville. I decided to take Route 90 as I had already driven 441 and wanted a change of scenery. Shortly into the drive on this 2 lane twisty road, sometimes with no guardrails, I found I had a couple of cars backed up behind me. The twists and turns come so often there was not much time for passing as I thought I'd let them go by. Instead, I decided to put my foot down, racing to the turns, braking semi-hard, and powering out to race to the next turn. This was somewhat scary as many of the apexes seemed to be the high point, making what was on the other side impossible to see. So my left foot was always in contact with the brake peddle as I never knew when I'd have to be slowing, or possibly emergency stopping at any time. I so wish I had put a camera on the car, I was having so much fun. Around one guardrail-less turn, I heard the metal tinging of my right rear center cap leaving the rim and hitting the street. I cursed, knowing exactly what it was but knew at the speed I was going and the face it was now rolling down the side of the mountain I'd never be able to go back and find it. By the time I had emerged on the north end of 90 where it met up with the 139, only one car, an import was still behind me. I'm guessing it was a local in his daily driving and had no problems keeping up with me as he was able to read the word "S H E L B Y" constantly in front of him. If it were the other way around and he in front of me, I am sure I would have had problems keeping up.

That is definitely something I enjoyed about this trip/event/show. I have never driven on roads like this before, and I did have a blast. Though not the Tail of the Dragon, I think I was able to safely push my driving more to my current limits in that car.

Not talked about from the event, is that an earlier model convertible Mustang with two females went off the road at TOTD and rolled, totaling the car. The girls were OK and taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. No word if they were there with the PITS event or not. But the reality is, all driving events are dangerous and we must use the utmost caution and care at all times. I did not drive the TOTD as I felt there was something "off" with the front suspension of my car. So I only did what I felt comfortable with, and enjoyed myself. I get to thank the PITS event for that.
Grabber70Mach likes this.

post #54 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Ignoring for the moment that my Mustangs aren't fit to travel. A very old friend enjoys razzing me about motorcycle get-togethers.
"Hey, Daytona is this week, you going to the mountains?"
"Yep."
or
"Hey that thing in the mountains at Cherokee is this weekend, you going to the beach?"
"Yep.
I have been known to actually do exactly this. Quite a bit.

Same kind of thing with car shows. Unless they have a swap meet included, then I am there. Big swapmeets, ummmm. Charlotte Autofair starts Thursday. Saturday I'm going. They have some sort of car show there. I don't know, I go for the parts deals.
post #55 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
I don't do car shows really, but I drive the #$%^ out of mine. It always seems to surprise people when I am driving it in traffic on like a Tuesday.
120mm likes this.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten
2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!
1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted
2016 Shelby GT-350 Tech Pack Still like the 66 better
post #56 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanSterling966 View Post
I don't do car shows really, but I drive the #$%^ out of mine. It always seems to surprise people when I am driving it in traffic on like a Tuesday.
We really need to get together to tear up this town - like you said, on a Tuesday!
RyanSterling966 likes this.

Over 100,000 miles spiritedly driven since 2006!
Formula for a daily driver street fighter in Los Angeles:
'67 Fastback + Built 351W + T5 + 3.55:1 + LTs + 2.5" + 40s + TT2 17"
+ Arning drop + CSRP + R&P + Bilsteins + SFCs + under riders + 22 Gal.
+ 3pts + 2nd Skin + MTF grille/lights + LEDs + BlueTooth + SiriusXM

MTF Grille/Light Kit Install w/ Pics... & Engine Bay Pics...
As featured in Hot Rod Magazine tech article, May 2014
post #57 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to RyanSterling966
Say when buddy, first round is on me.
Rorin67 likes this.

My Build thread:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...thank-you.html

1966 Coupe I6 with australian head and a weber carb - Gone but not forgotten
2007 Mustang GT custom ordered - SOLD!!
1966 Fastback A-code - Finally Painted
2016 Shelby GT-350 Tech Pack Still like the 66 better
post #58 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GT350H View Post
I was leaving Bushes Baked Beans visitor center on the "Shine Run" (poker run) and headed back to Sevierville. I decided to take Route 90 as I had already driven 441 and wanted a change of scenery. Shortly into the drive on this 2 lane twisty road, sometimes with no guardrails, I found I had a couple of cars backed up behind me. The twists and turns come so often there was not much time for passing as I thought I'd let them go by. Instead, I decided to put my foot down, racing to the turns, braking semi-hard, and powering out to race to the next turn. This was somewhat scary as many of the apexes seemed to be the high point, making what was on the other side impossible to see. So my left foot was always in contact with the brake peddle as I never knew when I'd have to be slowing, or possibly emergency stopping at any time. I so wish I had put a camera on the car, I was having so much fun. Around one guardrail-less turn, I heard the metal tinging of my right rear center cap leaving the rim and hitting the street. I cursed, knowing exactly what it was but knew at the speed I was going and the face it was now rolling down the side of the mountain I'd never be able to go back and find it. By the time I had emerged on the north end of 90 where it met up with the 139, only one car, an import was still behind me. I'm guessing it was a local in his daily driving and had no problems keeping up with me as he was able to read the word "S H E L B Y" constantly in front of him. If it were the other way around and he in front of me, I am sure I would have had problems keeping up.

That is definitely something I enjoyed about this trip/event/show. I have never driven on roads like this before, and I did have a blast. Though not the Tail of the Dragon, I think I was able to safely push my driving more to my current limits in that car.

Not talked about from the event, is that an earlier model convertible Mustang with two females went off the road at TOTD and rolled, totaling the car. The girls were OK and taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. No word if they were there with the PITS event or not. But the reality is, all driving events are dangerous and we must use the utmost caution and care at all times. I did not drive the TOTD as I felt there was something "off" with the front suspension of my car. So I only did what I felt comfortable with, and enjoyed myself. I get to thank the PITS event for that.
I forgot to add the image that shows the path of 90 that I took. Not too extreme, but fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bushbakedbeans.jpg (729.6 KB, 7 views)

post #59 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:39 PM

Where I live itís been 3 straight weeks of convertible weather. Iíve had my 65 convertible out almost every day. That being said, Iím not paying $30 entrance fee to a car show if Iím just staying for an hour. Iíll just do cars and coffee this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #60 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:48 PM

I often don't go to car shows because of the fees involved. Too often I see shows being created in order to raise money and that comes straight off the backs of the people entering their cars. Recently I saw a flyer for a show that was free for spectators but expensive for the car owners... that just doesn't sit well with me.

david

69 Winter Blue 302 Fastback w/ Original Paint

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page