Best child car seat for '65? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Magnus
  • 3 Post By 196667Bob

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Best child car seat for '65?

Hey chaps,

The season is upon us and my little guy is now 14 months old and a whopping 30lbs.. He loves car noises. I've got a forward facing seat for my Taco (thats an absolute pain in the *** to get in and out) and am looking for something that would work, forward facing, for the back of my '65.

The laws here allow for children over 1 yr and 22lbs to be forward facing. I know they're a bit different in 'Merica.

I do have rear lap belts. I'm not opposed to installing the latches.. although I have no means to use the top tether. Would prefer something off the seat belt.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:39 PM

Garage
Clearly you'll want to use the concours correct Ford child seat or vest to be period correct in your safety systems.
67FordAccessories.jpg

How could anything else possibly compete with the styling of that padded seat with the bright red harness?

Ok seriously I just needed an excuse to post that picture. Good luck finding something that's easy to use in the Mustang and keeps your son safe.
c6fastback and Rowdy like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:00 PM

Magnus : Your Posting of that picture from the 1967 Ford Accessory Catalog just gave me an excuse to Post pictures of my actual one.
Unfortunately, this was a "short lived" accessory for Ford (1966 & 67), since by the end of the 1967 Model Year, it no longer met current safety standards, and Ford had to come up with a different one for 1968.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8320.jpg (357.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8319.jpg (421.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3561.jpg (563.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3564.jpg (462.9 KB, 10 views)
Magnus, subpar63 and Stangfire like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to NEFaurora
Whoa...! Thanks for the pics of this thing Bob! I can honestly say that I've never seen one of these..except for in the Ford Catalog...

It also says "Front Seat Only"..

That in itself would be illegal today in all 50 states. Believe that all children 5 years of age and under must by law ride in the back seat buckled, or buckled into a Child Safety Seat facing the rear of the car if 3 years of age or under.

)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar
Melbourne, FL (Formerly from Long Island, NY!)

1965 Mustang Convertible 200cid I6, 3spd Manual (Soon to be swapped for a '65 Date Coded C4!)
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Convertible 200cid I6, C4 Auto
2007 Mustang V6 Convertible w/ Pony Package
MCA#70001

Getting Ready for the 2020 Melbourne, FL MCA Nationals!

Last edited by NEFaurora; 03-31-2019 at 11:31 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:27 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Sparco-...kAAOSw5LRcbxvH

I had a Recaro seat for my son years ago, but they don't make that model anymore. Finding one held down with just a lap belt, and has it's own 5 point harness should be your goal IMO.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEFaurora View Post
That in itself would be illegal today in all 50 states. Believe that all children 5 years of age and under must by law ride in the back seat buckled, or buckled into a Child Safety Seat facing the rear of the car if 3 years of age or under.

Since I still have a few that are young enough to need these seats (which, by the way are way safer than the things I remember riding around in)...

I don't think there's any law that is the same for every state, but nearly all of them are based on age or weight. Some are based on height. The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests facing children to the rear of the car until 2 years old. This is, I'm told, due to the lessened impact on bone structure on an impact from the front or rear. I've read that the UK's pediatric association recommends keeping them rear-facing (for the same reason) until they're 4. I can only imagine what fresh hell it would be to get a 4 year old into a rear facing car seat every day...

But that's neither here nor there on the OP question: I'd definitely recommend the tethering posts if you can install them. The safety features in these old cars are non-existent. Give your kids as much protection as possible. Check out this video for why:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 196667Bob View Post
Magnus : Your Posting of that picture from the 1967 Ford Accessory Catalog just gave me an excuse to Post pictures of my actual one.
Unfortunately, this was a "short lived" accessory for Ford (1966 & 67), since by the end of the 1967 Model Year, it no longer met current safety standards, and Ford had to come up with a different one for 1968.

Bob
Holy cow one of these things actually exists!

Like Tony I've only ever seen that in the catalog.

Ok, now we can get back to Rowdy's actual question about something that might legitimately provide some kind of protection and not just put his 'little "astronaut" in his very own seat'. Like that cool Sparco link there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to JDM4401
We went with something similar to in the link below. I can't find the exact model we have, but its been a couple years since we purchased it, so the model may no longer be available. I found in my 67 coupe, the base of the child seat needed to be on the smaller side to fit correctly and in a more upright position. I measured the depth of the car seat bottom so I had a baseline when looking at the child seat options. My little guy has enjoyed the last two seasons cruising and this year his little bro will get to join us, so I will be in the market for another seat as well.

I have a standard lap belt, which seems to work just fine with the child seat. I usually place my knee on the child seat and put my weight into it and pull the belt real tight. I lay a thick bath towel down first and then set the seat on the towel to protect the cars seat. I know they may the seat protectors (have them in our daily drivers), but a thick towel works just fine for the Stang.

Happy cruising, the smile on your boys face will be priceless!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Fin...light/55704257
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in