Harmonic Balancer rebuild? - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Harmonic Balancer rebuild?

I want to have the original harmonic balancer on my '65 K-code's HiPo motor rebuilt (rubber is old and cracked), but I don't know of a trustworthy shop to send it to for the job. The few shops I've found on line seem to encourage customers to turn in their old, original balancer for one of their rebuilt or manufactured ones, but I want to keep mine because it's original and has the correct date stamp, etc. If anyone knows of a shop that's good and reasonable, I'd appreciate the contact info. Thank you, Evans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
I just used damper dudes 2 weeks ago. Excellent service. I just swapped mine for another they had already built. You will have to ask about the turn around time for your resto job. Iím sure they will do it. I also found damper doctor, who also had good reviews . I called both of the first thing on a Monday morning. Damper dudes called back. They had the new one at my door by Thursday, and I spoke to them at 10:30 Monday morning. That reminds me I need to send the core back. Damper dudes was cheaper than the doctor.

65 FB 289/3sp Rangoon Red/Red interior
68 Coupe 200/6 T-5 Diamond Blue/Blue interior
68 Coupe 302/C4 Black interior
69 Coupe 250/6 C4, Blue/Black interior
70 Coupe 390/C6 Auto Gold Metallic/Ginger interior
2010 Gold V6/Auto Sunset Gold/Black interior
65 Falcon Vintage Burgundy/Palomino interior
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks...

Coupster: Thanks. I'll give both of them a call tomorrow. Did you notice a difference in your car's performance after you put the new one on? I've read comments from several Mustang owners over the years who said a new or rebuilt original dampener really, noticeably woke their engines up. The old dampeners with cracked and rotting rubber had shifted their timing marks so while they thought they had the timing spot-on, they were wrong. Evans.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:09 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Interesting thought. I use the timing marks more or less as a guideline to get started setting timing. Actual timing is set to maximize the performance. What the actual numbers read tend to be basically incidental info to be recorded so as to save steps next time I change distributors or something. That's just me though. I can see how those who take the shop manual specifications and what they see on the car to be carved stone could be terribly thrown by a shifted balancer. I wouldn't count on any performance gains though, shifted balancers do happen but aren't terribly common.

I have to say I haven't personally used a balancer rebuild service. But I wouldn't hesitate to go straight to Damper Dudes if I needed. I've always been a bit thrown by their choice of business name but I've seen more positive feedback from people who have used them than any other, hands down.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:46 PM

When I was building the motor in my 69 302 I wanted to have an original damper to re-install. I didn't like the npd damper I had bought and I didn't want to run an aftermarket because I wanted my motor to look stock. I'm west coast so I found Damper Doctor https://www.damperdoctor.com/ I was in a rush to have my motor together so while they have a rebuild service, when I called and spoke to them they asked for the numbers stamped on my original damper. They informed me I could sent mine in and get it rebuilt or they had one with the exact numbers in stock rebuilt already. I forget what I paid, it was 150 bucks or something for it including the core charge if there was one. I can't remember, if there was a core charge it was low enough that I kept mine and ordered the replacement. I have several thousand miles on it now and it seems fine. No vibrations or anything. I'd buy again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations, all. Interesting that there's a Damper Dude and a Damper doctor in the same area code and apparently geographically close. And by all accounts here, they both are good, solid businesses. I'll be checking out both this week for my project. And Scarlet-302, it never even occurred to me that they might have an original HiPo dampener with a date state stamp that would be correct for my car. I'll call them first, but to be honest, I'll be even more amazed if that works twice. Lol. Evans
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Interesting thought. I use the timing marks more or less as a guideline to get started setting timing. Actual timing is set to maximize the performance. What the actual numbers read tend to be basically incidental info to be recorded so as to save steps next time I change distributors or something. That's just me though. I can see how those who take the shop manual specifications and what they see on the car to be carved stone could be terribly thrown by a shifted balancer. I wouldn't count on any performance gains though, shifted balancers do happen but aren't terribly common.

I have to say I haven't personally used a balancer rebuild service. But I wouldn't hesitate to go straight to Damper Dudes if I needed. I've always been a bit thrown by their choice of business name but I've seen more positive feedback from people who have used them than any other, hands down.

I always used WOT throttle method for setting timing. Always keep a 1/2" wrench handy and adjust as necessary. The more hi-test gas you use, the more timing. I could not tell you my all in advance, nor my initial.

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page