Hood curvature question - Vintage Mustang Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By macstang
  • 1 Post By Mach1 Driver

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hood curvature question

I'm working on aligning the panels and have most things pretty well set. The thing that I don't quite know how to address is where the hood should line up with the fender extensions.

Right now the hood line matches pretty well with the fender, but is too flat once it reaches the extension. I've read some of the other forums that talk about the hood an fender not lining up but didn't see any pictures showing anything quite this bad. Its about the same on both sides. The fenders, hood, and extensions are all OEM, but not off the same car.

Has anyone else had similar issues and do I have to reshape the front of the hood to match the fender?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c9ea19bb-c662-4d98-ab48-04eaa77881f4.jpg (184.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg b4e38552-d008-4beb-9e7c-b8c99c86089b.jpg (171.6 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Garage
Well, it looks like your headlight assembly got bumped or something and is angled down too much. I can even see a dent in the fender that would account for some of that downward angle. I think it would be easier to pull the fender/headlight assembly up a bit than pull the hood down. The hood might need a bit more arch in the front too but it is going to be difficult to work that front lip on the hood. I have seen a lot of photos of the 69-70 cars including some impressive cars that one or the other hood front corner is not lined up though.

Like this one;

Woodchuck likes this.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 PM

Garage
There's something very wrong with your fender. That area of the fender is extremely difficult to repair once its been damaged or bent.

I'd look for another fender.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:04 PM

I am always amazed when I go to a car show and see an otherwise very nice Mustang with a misaligned hood-fender-headlight door junction. Why didn't the owner pay a little money to get that junction lined up properly?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massmustang69 View Post
I'm working on aligning the panels and have most things pretty well set. The thing that I don't quite know how to address is where the hood should line up with the fender extensions.

Right now the hood line matches pretty well with the fender, but is too flat once it reaches the extension. I've read some of the other forums that talk about the hood an fender not lining up but didn't see any pictures showing anything quite this bad. Its about the same on both sides. The fenders, hood, and extensions are all OEM, but not off the same car.

Has anyone else had similar issues and do I have to reshape the front of the hood to match the fender?
I agree with the above, your hood is correct, but the fender extension is bent, and rather badly.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@22GT, the fender itself or the extension (or headlight bucket)?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massmustang69 View Post
@22GT, the fender itself or the extension (or headlight bucket)?

It's official name is headlight door.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/door...1966&year=1966
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:35 AM

Whatever one calls it, your hood is correct, and although your fender has a tiny tweak at the corner, it is OK. However, the cast metal thingie around the headlight is badly bent. Oddly enough, they can often be straightened.

Amateur restorer. Well, sometimes I have been paid for it. But not right now.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Whatever one calls it, your hood is correct, and although your fender has a tiny tweak at the corner, it is OK. However, the cast metal thingie around the headlight is badly bent. Oddly enough, they can often be straightened.
Gotcha, not trying to nitpick, sorry. Just wanted to make sure as the previous comment mentioned the fender.

Since it is cast, any idea how I'd go about straightening it? It matches up with the fender pretty well everywhere else. So if I were to shim the bottom out or something to try and fix the angle I'd end up with a gap on the side right? Only other way I would think is to use a body filler to change the shape of it on top, but it seems like a lot of body filler to be adding and I'm not sure what that would do to the metal trim.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:06 PM

Garage
The "pot metal" of the headlight assembly/fender extension can be worked if you are careful with the body hammer. I've had to tap on both my rear quarter extensions which are also pot metal to get the top and outside lines to the quarter panels lined up. One of mine also has a dent in it from something hitting it. I bumped it out from the inside using a small block of wood and got most of the dent out. Obviously, if you try to move parts of these things too much they are likely to crack.

I still think that you have a problem on the fender. It looks to me like it got dented in probably somewhere along where the side of the fender extension bolts to the face of the fender and/or the bottom which is what would put that small pull dent in at the top. I can also see where the outside/top line of the headlight assembly has slid down below the fender line. A bumper hit would push in the bottom and do something like that.

This is all speculation though since we don't have photos of the other pieces of your front end. Just looking at a small part of a bigger problem makes it hard to determine just exactly what is needed to fix it. Was the bumper dented in? Is the side of the fender bulged out a little more than normal? Are both fender extensions the same or is the problem with just this one? If the other one is ok you can compare the 2 as mirror images to try and determine just exactly what is out of proper alignment. Shimming the fender extension won't work because it will move it away from the fender so you then have a gap.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
As others have pointed out, there's some damage to your fender. Depending on how much work it'll take to fix it, it might be easier and/or cheaper to replace the fender. I have done a fender writeup on NPD's fenders in which I concluded they're great quality:

https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/v...w-writeup.html

Inkedfender1_LI.jpg
Inkedfender2_LI.jpg

Getting good lines/gaps on a car is actually very time consuming and tedious, but it really makes your car stand out from the others. Often, you go to shows and see a car that looks great, but when you get closer, the gaps are all wonky.

Cheers, Alex

4 speed
Rally-Pac
Bench Seat
Power Steering
All-around discs
Aftermarket A/C

And not nearly enough time

Last edited by alex1965; 04-13-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:22 PM

I have a 69 with the same problem on the passenger side, and since I have the problem I've noticed that it is on many 69s. Mine was that way from the factory (ask me how i know). I have yet to do a restoration but was looking at this problem the other day. Some of it is adjustment but to get it right I think its going to take some work to the fender. I bought all the Craig Hopkins videos while they were still available and he addressed the same "gaping" issue on a different car. As I recall this is what he did: on the fender where the top flange turns down next to the hood- he cut the front area several inches past the high spot, repositioned that area of the fender, and welded the flange back on. You don't want to mess with the hood, but the flange on the fender can be cut, welded and ground and still look good, and even if your job is less than perfect it can only be seen with the hood up.
massmustang69 likes this.

Original Owner 69 Mach1
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone for the input, its good to see that it is not an uncommon issue. I don't know that I feel comfortable working the pot metal and I really don't want to crack them. I've managed to tweak it some, and based on my budget I'll likely go with what I have and maybe try and to address it down the road sometime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1965 View Post

Getting good lines/gaps on a car is actually very time consuming and tedious
I've definitely come to appreciate this for sure. As I've spend a lot of time working on this, I often wonder how many hours it took them to throw one of these together compared to what I have into it now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page