Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Am I wrong for getting pleasure from this?

6K views 52 replies 34 participants last post by  zray 
#1 ·
I took my son out for a Sunday drive yesterday around our quiet, sheltered town. One thing you have to understand about where we live is that it's a laid back island community, mostly stuffy rich people and old folks. Classic cars are commonplace, but only concourse, period correct of course. My car is definitely not that, especially not with the recent exhaust work.

I got just a little sick pleasure from watching everyone scrambling to cover their ears and take cover on the bike path as we interrupted their silence yesterday. It's been a while since I was the teenager roaring through parking garages to count how many alarms I could set off. I forgot just how much fun it was! Is that wrong? >:)

#4 ·
I still do that. I've taken my kids to the only parking garage in town to do it, too. I love the sound of my new mandrel-bent pipes about 2000 rpm.

#5 ·
I had an old gray primer PU truck that had a loose front bumper and it made an awful noise from the bumper vibrating and rubbing against the blunt end of the chassis. I saw mothers grab their children and look at me like I was something out of a Stephen King story when I would drive slowly through the neighborhood.
We are the reason they leave their lights on at night. Run with it!

#6 ·
at my age (prob same as you are)
imo cars should be seen and not heard

nothing i hate more is some yahooo blasting through a 4 speed at 6 am on a sunday

#7 ·
As long as you're not running open headers (which is fine, but only at a track), I say "Well done!" :pirate::pirate::pirate:

#11 ·
I make a game out of it. I can idle down our street at 25MPH in the 69 Camaro and with just a little burp of the loud peddle set off people's car alarms. So on summer weekend mornings when we head out to car shows I try to see how many car alarms I can set off.

My mechanic buddy who does most of the work on my cars has a crabby woman living next door to him who always complains about the hot rods he's always working on. So after visiting him and backing out of his driveway onto the street and straitening out if I see she's outside I take off in a cloud of tire smoke and exhaust gas leaving her to yell at my buddy who is laughing his azz off.

I figure going on 62 I should have as much fun as possible while I can.

#17 ·
A '66 Gas Cap on a '64.5!...Sacrilege!

...lol....

:)

#18 ·
BURN THE WITCH!!!!!!

Seriously, though.

There are times and places when loud exhausts are cool, and times and places when they are not.

Knowing when and where is key. People who are offended by loud exhaust when they are appropriate are hilarious to laugh at.

#19 ·
I don't go out of my way to try to piss people off. Bad karma! I plan on ditching my current Arvinode exhaust for something quiet, I'm over it.

I do piss a lot of people off. It just happens naturally.

Reactions: 120mm and zray
#32 ·
Is there a noise ordinance? If so yes it was wrong (you knew what you were getting into when you bought the house), if there isn't an ordinance probably not a problem, but you won't make a lot of friends. (But those you do make will like your car!)

#37 ·
Speaking of car alarms, go to 17:30 at the beginning of the road test and 18:20 for car alarms. Oh boy do I want this car! Hands down my favorite custom car build!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UonisqLOnXo
Yea and to set off multiple car alarms outside is quite a feat! On my '66, I have 2.5" side exhaust with glass packs and it always sets off alarms in parking garages but I've only occasionally had it happen cruising city streets. I also love how this Fairlane sounds like it's breaking apart the entire drive :pirate:

Regarding noise in neighborhoods, even if there is a noise ordinance, which many HOAs impose but rarely do they quantify, there needs to be more understanding that older cars aren't going to quietly hum along like newer vehicles. Many HOA noise rules infuriate me because they include the subjective statement that "loud" noises are prohibited. Does this include peoples kids screaming at all hours, people cutting their lawns with ride-on mowers, or trash trucks making a ruckus getting trash? Everyone is fine with those noises but as soon as a louder than stock car is heard people have meltdowns.

Oh well. Whenever I want to drive my classic car, in a considerate manner, then they can deal with a bit of extra noise in their day.

#41 ·
There's a time and place for everything. I have set off car alarms in the parking garage in the middle of the day. I set off the one on my wife's vehicle in our driveway just starting mine to take the kids to school. I don't intentionally raise sand to pi$$ people off. I have to go to complaint calls sometimes where that is the case, and a whole lot worse, I promise you. I cherish peace and quiet more than the average person after a work week of chaos, I assure you. At the same time, I love the mellow rumble, the coming roar and the crackling scream of a good exhaust system when it's going from idle to cruise to W A O when the time and place is right. :grin2:

#42 ·
I like a healthy, mellow sound with a roar at wide open. Don't care for window rattling exhaust. Used to have a neighbor with EXTREMELY loud obnoxious exhaust that fought to keep from drowning out his thumping stereo. He would come rolling in from second shift after midnight.
I won't write the words that come to mind what I thought of him.
Nothing more frustrating than spending hours trying to get a sick baby to sleep only to have them woke back up crying because some #%@# thinks his loud exhaust is cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.