Car show peanut gallery - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
 142Likes

post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by groho View Post
Not a car show fan...when someone has a snide response, I typically ask "Do you race yours?" Race cars have dings and dents.... just sayin.. enjoy your car, it's yours, heck with everyone else.
No dings and dents

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.

Last edited by 69GT350H; 04-17-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
I havenít been to too many car shows but I did catch some crap on FB from someone for this picture. They really got pissed at me for allowing this woman to stand on my car to take some pictures

I understand it's your car, but proper car show etiquette?

David
VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:23 AM

I was really not impressed by the show this year. I could see why you got those comments. Probably because you are younger than most people who own classics.

Sorry, I didn't catch you. I did see Mike.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskinhano View Post
I havenít been to too many car shows but I did catch some crap on FB from someone for this picture. They really got pissed at me for allowing this woman to stand on my car to take some pictures

LOL.....Yeah, I remember seeing that, didn't realize it was you. Some real idiot remarks.
Huskinhano likes this.

Coyote build in 65 GT Fastback in body work https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/b...e-powered.html and on Facebook @65gtmustang
F150 SCREW Ecoboost as my daily
66 Emberglow Coupe first car,71 Torino GT, 82 Fastback slooooow 6 banger, 71 Boss 351, 85 GT all long gone
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Garage
When I got my car drivable I put it in a couple of local shows not that it's a show car but mostly for the "premium parking". It was interesting to witness the car show snobbery, one time I found some shade under a tree far enough away from my car as to not look like the owner but close enough to hear people talk about it.I went to enough local shows that it became boring ..
Then I discovered autox (all ready knew about it ,just learned how to get involved) It's the best of both worlds. Plenty of cool cars, people willing to help, and I get to drive my car during that 10 hour day in those 10 minutes or less I get behind the wheel I'm free
gwstang and Sparky66 like this.

Brad
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:25 AM

Garage
I havent had my hardtop out much but, from the few people who have seen it, my favorite comment so far is "I had one just like it".

To which my response was:
"Really?! You had a 66 with a fuel injected 408 that was Audi Scuba blue with 17" TT II wheels, a giant aluminum radiator made for a 71, AND electric fans?!?! What would be the chance of that?!"

I'm an a-hole :-(

While i give negative sh*ts what people think about my car, I am a little curious to hear some of the comments when i get it to it's first cruise / show.
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65coupei6_2 View Post
I was really not impressed by the show this year. I could see why you got those comments. Probably because you are younger than most people who own classics.

Sorry, I didn't catch you. I did see Mike.
I'll have to catch you next time I break down in SF LOL. To be honest, I don't know what I thought of the show this year. It has all the right ingredient to be an awesome show, but something about Knott's makes it that much more fun.

I think the most memorable comment(s) I got at a show was with my '69 by the same person. First, he tried buying the thing off of me and gave me some rather insulting low ball offers. Granted this is after I told him how rare the car is and that it's not for sale.

He then started talking about 1/4 mile times and how he's got a stroker in his '65 coupe but could only run in the 14's. He didn't believe me when I told them I've got a 306 in mine and ran a 12.9 until I whipped out the time slip and showed him the video. I'm not sure he was convinced though, he kept asking if I had changed anything on the motor since then because "302's don't go that fast". Not my fault the guy doesn't know how to drive .
gwstang, Garth66, Ford.P51 and 1 others like this.

1969 Convertible field find (450hp spaghetti noodle)
1968 Fastback (428 and a 4 speed)
www.SaveClassicCars.net

-Armon

post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:46 AM

I've had my '65 since May 2016 and haven't yet been to any shows. At first I wanted to fix the running gear ( shocks, springs, brakes, etc.), and I needed to replace the dash pad which was really ruined by all those years of sun. And then -- I just didn't feel the need to go to any shows and have people pick, pick, pick with their little snide comments about the paint job ( yes, I know it needs attention ) and so on. But lately when I'm out in town getting gas or at the store I've gotten some nice remarks and had a few really good conversations with other owners, even a Camaro and a GTO owner! So I guess this summer I'll bite the bullet and go to one or two. Not Carlisle, mind you -- she'll never be concours quality, at least from MY wallet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170921_135615.jpg (662.7 KB, 14 views)
gwstang likes this.
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:48 AM
Dimples

Garage
There is a lot of freedom in not giving a damn what other people think. I've heard the peanut gallery before, and it just makes me laugh. After 23 years, every decision on my car has been well thought out. There's things that budget or ability didn't allow for along the way, but it's part of this car's story.

A common sentiment from one of my greybeard hot rod buddy's is, "You'd do something different? Cool. Where's yours?".
gwstang, Sparky66, 2nd 66 and 2 others like this.

The anvil of reality.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:22 PM

I love this thread. Whenever we attend car shows (mostly local charity sponsored events), we bring my wife's 2 mustangs. One is a '65 coupe and the other is a early '65 convertible. I purposely put her name on both window placards, so I can sit back and be entertained. People ask me about the cars, and if my wife is nearby I tell them they need to ask her about them. I am only the mechanic. When she is not around, I will answer questions about the cars, or differences between early and late '65s, but only for people that are obviously car-people or seem generally interested. All the others (low-ball offer people, I had one, my whatever had one, I know more about your cars than you do), I tell them I don't really know anything about them, and they'll have to wait for her to come back. She is very knowledgeable about both her cars and the mods. that have been made to them, but it's really surprising the assumption is they are mine.
gwstang likes this.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:56 PM

I hate car shows, never entered one, but have inadvertently parked near them, or cruise in nights in the process of just driving my car around.

My first issue is with so-called show "officials" trying to tell me where I am to park/what I am to do, as I accidentally drive through the traffic jam the show generates. An enraged self-important popinjay POS gets all huffy because I'm driving through the drive thru to place my order at the restaurant they've taken over, instead of parking where he wants me to. Or when I pointedly ignore their direction to turn off into the parking lot, when in reality I'm just trying to drive by on my way to somewhere else.

Second, when I have the misfortune to park near such a gathering, enduring the comments of people "who had one just like it" and they misidentify the year, or even the make.

My paint is original, and is flaking pretty good now, so there are the comments about putting a "real" paint job on it.

The interior and top are also original, and are in good enough shape to cause certain members of the car community to call b.s. on those, because "everyone knows" the interior/tops on these don't last very long. And "how would I know" unless I asked the original owner. Of course, I AM the original owner, thank you. So bite me.

When I'm driving with Lela, my foxhound/pitbull mix, which is most of the time, I also get the comments about how dumb I am to "allow the dog to ride with me" and mess up that nice interior. Well, since I like Lela more than most people, they can sit and spin.

My Mustang is my daily driver during the summer, so there are also the "you oughta clean the carpet" comments. Anyone who has lived with a black interior car knows how friggin' impossible that is and still actually use the car.
gwstang, Vegas70, Ford.P51 and 5 others like this.

Paint is a protective coating

Last edited by 120mm; 04-17-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67xl390 View Post
I love this thread. Whenever we attend car shows (mostly local charity sponsored events), we bring my wife's 2 mustangs. One is a '65 coupe and the other is a early '65 convertible. I purposely put her name on both window placards, so I can sit back and be entertained. People ask me about the cars, and if my wife is nearby I tell them they need to ask her about them. I am only the mechanic. When she is not around, I will answer questions about the cars, or differences between early and late '65s, but only for people that are obviously car-people or seem generally interested. All the others (low-ball offer people, I had one, my whatever had one, I know more about your cars than you do), I tell them I don't really know anything about them, and they'll have to wait for her to come back. She is very knowledgeable about both her cars and the mods. that have been made to them, but it's really surprising the assumption is they are mine.
It's the same with us. The Mustang is really my wife's car and when we go someplace with it she's the one who answers the questions about it.

We were getting ready to leave one show and my wife was climbing in the driver seat as I was getting in the passenger seat when this guy comes up to me and says (loud enough for my wife to hear) "you let your wife drive this car?". I glanced at my wife out of the corner of my eye and could see the smoke coming out of her ears and told the guy "why not? it's HER car.". The guy shut up and walked away. I guess he didn't believe women are into classic cars too.

Big Jim

'68 GT/CS
'69 Camaro
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:25 PM

And who can forget the stinky meth-mouth fool that demands a price from you because he's going to buy it? I just wish I could forget those teeth!
gwstang likes this.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Just some guy
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
. So bite me.
I don't cruise but after reading all that I have the urge to. In Iowa. With some irascible local guy. And his dog.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:14 PM

I agree with almost all the comments here, but the "I used to have one just like it" people don't bother me at all. Sure, they may not be as knowledgeable about our cars, but I get enjoyment out of hearing them reminisce about the old car they used to have and how much they miss it. I guess I don't get offended if someone sees my red '65 and says "I used to have one just like it but it was a blue '68". I can appreciate that they are making the connection between my car and I enjoy the fact that my car brings them some good memories.

Now, the hyper-critics, low-ballers, and rude people suck, absolutely.
DonP, Daisy and poqman like this.

1965 C-code Coupe - 289 w/ C4. 9" w/ 3.25 LSD, 4 wheel Street or Track discs, GT350 coils w/ Arning drop, 4.5" mideyes, Cal-Tracs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page