Flywheel Bolts - Signs Of Thread Sealant? - Vintage Mustang Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rdnck1
  • 1 Post By Huskinhano
  • 1 Post By GT350HR

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Flywheel Bolts - Signs Of Thread Sealant?

I tore everything down for my T5 conversion and when I pulled the flywheel bolts they were very wet with oil and clean, no sign of any sealant.
I am hoping this explains the small occasional drip i have been getting and all the oil slung all over the inside of the bell - and the chattering clutch. The engine was rebuilt by a shop before I bought the car and I am hoping they forgot to seal the flywheel bolts, it would save me from having to replace the rear seal.

So, if they did seal them, would thread sealant leave behind any signs that it was on the bolts?

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:11 AM

Any bolt that's had sealant on it will show it. However, you can't tell very well if it's been unscrewed later and run back in.

I've never seen a serious leak from these bolts though, sealed or unsealed. If they're torqued properly, it's pretty difficult for oil to get past 'em. If your engine's the old 2-piece seal, then you can almost bet that's your problem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks.
There doesn't appear to be ANY sign of sealant on these bolts, I will take a closer look today at the rear seal.

1967 Sports Sprint 289 Coupe
2007 GT/CS

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:33 AM
rdnck1
Supporting Member

Garage
Sounds like they did not use sealant, if they had there would be no oil on the bolts. Use Loctite on your flywheel bolts to prevent them from backing out and to prevent oil from seeping out. Others can chime in if they think differently as some say to use sealant but IMO, Loctite. It could still be the two piece seal so check that area as well. Good luck, Jim
Grimbrand likes this.

Do your own research, I'm just a work in progress
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Garage
I used this

Brad
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Iíve put them in the past without sealant. Youíll probably get a little weeping but I didnít notice that much. Iím using ARP bolts, they recommend the blue Loctite which is what I used. No good reason not to use it even on stock bolts.
Grimbrand likes this.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:18 PM

Factory Ford flywheel bolts are grade 8 , self locking and self sealing. There is no reason to use a sealant or thread locker. When torqued to 75 ft lbs they will not leak or loosen up. I can not say the same for aftermarket bolts. "IF" your bolts are weeping , you will see "tracks" because of the clutch dust clinging to the oil. Check the input seal or rear main seal too which is more often the cause.
Randy
Grimbrand likes this.

'66 GT350H-3 time cover car - Car Craft July'77,Modified Mustangs and Fords Feb2011 ( w/article), Mustang Monthly June 2014. Bracket raced by me for the last 44 years. Yes it is a real one.
'68.5 R code GT fastback
'67 Ranchero 408W -427 glass hood
'78 F350 "Oleynik" car hauler
Ford Experimental parts collector
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page