One Tail light doesn't flash after LED install - Vintage Mustang Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

One Tail light doesn't flash after LED install

Hi, I am installing sequential LED tail lights on my 1967 coupe. Says Scott Drake, but in the box has Project Mustang on packaging.. the batwing design.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...68/p/SDTLLED2/

I installed the flasher module that came with kit, then installed the left LED tail light - everything works: Tail Light/Brakes/Turn Signal/4way. Then i installed the right (passenger) LED tail light - it worked for about 20 seconds in multiple modes, then just went to Tail light only - no Brakes/noTurn Signal/no 4 way. The left side continues operating fine in all modes.

On the right (problem) side, I put the incandescent bulb back in and still only Tail lights. Tried a second bulb, same story. If relevant, right rear backup still lights up.

Any guidance to troubleshoot this is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:52 PM

I wouldn't doubt that the electronic flasher module died completely or lost its grounding. Try the hazards as well.
There should be a jake way to test the flasher and both circuits on the bulbs.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:58 PM

Garage
I am having the same issue with my passenger side tail light right now. Since the running light works that means the tail light is getting its ground. I tested the brake/turn signal wire with my dvm and it is indicating at the wire. I believe that the issue is in the old socket. Looking at the 2 lead connectors it seems that they are slightly off alignment once the light bulb is locked in. That is letting the running light bulb work but it misses connection with the brake light. I tried to get the connector to turn so it would have both pins clocked right but it doesn't seem to want to turn.

Since I'm getting a new tail light wiring harness that has the tail light plug in caps I am having to get new tail light housings with the cap plug ins. My old ones have some 64 1/2 thing on them so I have to replace them with the plug in cap types anyway.

Hopefully that will end my particular problem. I would say the next step if you haven't done this is to test your brake/turn signal wire back at the tail light to make sure that it is in fact carrying voltage. If it is, your socket is also probably the cause. If you aren't getting voltage through the wire there is a problem back in the other direction somehow.

65 2+2, 331, C4 presently apart for complete a restore
1979 Ford F150 custom, 302, C4, AC, tilt wheel, main transportation

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 PM

Project Mustang junk strikes again.

No way are these built stout enough to live in an actually driven Mustang. Too flimsy, and too "experimental", imo.

I used their so-called warranty twice; once on each taillight.

Now, because they sent me two different versions, I have fully functioning mis-matched taillights, which look stupid. But they won't send me a matching pair, because both sides work. And look like complete crap.

Do yourself a favor, count this as a lesson learned and get something better.

Paint is a protective coating

Last edited by 120mm; 04-21-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 AM

Iím going to say that unless you have something wrong with the product itself... grounding problems seem to become more prevalent when using LEDs. Check your ground on the electronic relay that you installed, as well as the ground on the tail light housings themselves. If everything works fine with your regular bulbs, I would say a grounding problem is most likely. I guess it could be the design of the products, judging from the experience of 120mm. If I might make a recommendation, there is a forum member on here by the name of gtonavy , who I have purchased all sorts of LED goodies from. They are Quality built and his service and communication excellent. ( Iím in no way affiliated with him) Good luck!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygta View Post
If I might make a recommendation, there is a forum member on here by the name of gtonavy , who I have purchased all sorts of LED goodies from. They are Quality built and his service and communication excellent. ( I’m in no way affiliated with him) Good luck!
I've only looked at a picture of gtonavy's product, and just from the picture, you can see that they are built solid. Much more so than Project Mustang's garbage.

CJM68GT390 likes this.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
I wouldn't doubt that the electronic flasher module died completely or lost its grounding. Try the hazards as well.
There should be a jake way to test the flasher and both circuits on the bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indygta View Post
Iím going to say that unless you have something wrong with the product itself... grounding problems seem to become more prevalent when using LEDs. Check your ground on the electronic relay that you installed, as well as the ground on the tail light housings themselves. If everything works fine with your regular bulbs, I would say a grounding problem is most likely. I guess it could be the design of the products, judging from the experience of 120mm. If I might make a recommendation, there is a forum member on here by the name of gtonavy , who I have purchased all sorts of LED goodies from. They are Quality built and his service and communication excellent. ( Iím in no way affiliated with him) Good luck!

First off, this is a great forum and everyone is really helpful, responsive and knowledgeable. I appreciate that.

I now have it working by checking the grounding/contacts. I cleaned up the ground on the bulb housing, and tightened the connection on the new flasher grounding. That was it. Now the test is will it keep working. Thanks again.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclewisx View Post
First off, this is a great forum and everyone is really helpful, responsive and knowledgeable. I appreciate that.

I now have it working by checking the grounding/contacts. I cleaned up the ground on the bulb housing, and tightened the connection on the new flasher grounding. That was it. Now the test is will it keep working. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:33 PM

I concur! This is by far the most knowledgeable and courteous members of any forum that I have visited. Thanks all!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:14 PM

Half of vintage Mustang guys don't drive in the rain or the dark, are light bulbs not fine?

1965 Mustang
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
Half of vintage Mustang guys don't drive in the rain or the dark, are light bulbs not fine?
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will stop me from driving my Mustang.

No, I am not a postman. But I like the creed.
indygta and myfirstcar66 like this.

...Marco

'65 Mustang Inline 200. CI Aliminum Head, Holley 350,
Schneider 264/274 cam, Headers, Recurved DSII, MSD 6A, and a whole lotta other stuff!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
And if you are like the average American driver, you don't know how to use turn signals, so I guess you have a point.

Personally, I use turn signals, and was foolish enough to want sequential ones, because my daughters thought they "looked cool."

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:48 AM

Yeah, the sequentials are cool. I think that's the right reason to get them. Usually people want to blither about visibility/safety on their Sunday cruiser, and I won't stand for it. We all know they want it because it looks cool, or their Tim the Tool Man is coming out (my lights need more power!). Which are both more valid reasons than the thin visibility/safety excuse I always hear.

1965 Mustang
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the sequentials are cool. I think that's the right reason to get them. Usually people want to blither about visibility/safety on their Sunday cruiser, and I won't stand for it. We all know they want it because it looks cool, or their Tim the Tool Man is coming out (my lights need more power!). Which are both more valid reasons than the thin visibility/safety excuse I always hear.

While the coolness factor is definitely a reason to get them. I do think that safety or visibility is just as much of a reason. Stock tail lights on these cars are not very bright. In the past I was told numerous times that people couldn't see my brake lights on a sunny day. Also, most drivers these days aren't looking for it either, since they are used to third brake lights and huge tail lights like modern cars have. So, my personal thought is that in today's world of driving stock tail lights are not really adequate even in fair weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
I've only looked at a picture of gtonavy's product, and just from the picture, you can see that they are built solid. Much more so than Project Mustang's garbage.

Those are great. I got them several months ago. They are far superior to Mustang Project's stuff or anything else I've seen so far.
120mm likes this.

1965 Mustang 302, T5, 9 Inch
Instagram @a65stang

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-23-2019 at 10:32 PM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclewisx View Post

Hopefully, It stays working.

1965 Mustang 302, T5, 9 Inch
Instagram @a65stang

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-23-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page