Rate a record... - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Rate a record...

for you old timers. Since I have gotten back into poking around the 65, I'm once again faced with my dilemma of what to do about the steering. Parts are all new, except the box. It's tired. Assuming that it's a 19:1 (no reason it shouldn't be) I have all the usual options:

1. R&P.....not really interested in that
2. EPS....interested but not sure if I want the trouble or expense.
3. Borgeson.....interesting, but not sure I want to add pumps, etc.
4. Chock rebuild of the 19:1 and call it a day. Not too interested in that either, no quick enough.
5. Chock rebuild/replace to a 16:1 and call it a day. This is a maybe.
6. Chock rebuild/replace to a 16:1 and quick steer. This is where I'm leaning.

Tires on front will be 225/60-16s on 8" wheels. Car has Arning drop, 1" swaybar, midolyne bushings, etc. Not thinking this affects steering effort, just backstory. Aftermarket Grant wooden rim wheel, 15".
Will definitely do a bearing idler and I am most likely going to an Ididit or similar column. I'm tall, would like the tilt and also severe the spear.

So, counting all this staggering info up, what are some pros and cons? Steering effort at slow speeds for option 6 is my biggest unknown/concern. Anything I'm missing?

Get off my back, get out of my pocket....

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:16 PM

Garage
Option #7. Chock rebuild/replace to a 16:1 and install an EPAS unit.

No pump and hoses, all contained under your dash. 1 finger steering at low speeds and is adjustable for your liking if you go with the rheostat style.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:19 PM

Garage
I can vouch for the improvement in steering feel on my Chock refurbished box. Slop is gone and precision has returned. Many folks here have voiced the opinion that a properly set up stock power steering system is an excellent choice. Again, Chock is your source here.

As far as adding power assist, you will need either an electric or hydraulic pump system. Cost and complexity are factors you need to compare. If you choose to remain with non-power steering, a larger diameter wheel can provide some leverage advantage over the smaller diameter wheels but slow parking maneuvers can still be an upper body workout especially if you go quick ratio without assist.

At the end of your analysis, you will likely make a choice that involves some compromise. Do you research, make a choice. The paralysis of analysis can be a real time sink.

url]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k156/jefftepper/IMG_0027_edited-1.jpg[/url]

*Principal wrench on this 69 Mach I*

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
As much as I wanted to have a simpler, cheaper version I could live with, it looks like the Option 7 mentioned above, which was actually my Option 2, will likely win out. Box needs rebuilt, might as well get a EPAS/Ididit unit and be done with it. I don't think I want to tackle one of the EPAS DIY projects, I guess I'm going to have to start assembling vendors and line it up. I plan on driving this thing and driving it all over, I don't want to have to wrestle it all over the north American parking lots.

There just IS no such thing as a free lunch, is there.....

Get off my back, get out of my pocket....

1965 2+2 painted (66) Vintage Burgundy, 1998 roller 5.0 with GT40P heads, plans are for Sniper, T5 and 3:55 rear.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:27 PM

I have a 16:1 box I think (it's 4 turns lock to lock) with no assist and parallel parking is an upper body workout. Everything else is fine. I'm young and don't mind the effort, but I'd actually like a little faster steering. Even this quick-ratio wheel has me frantically twirling the wheel through the cone slalom at autocross.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
I have BOTH a stock 16:1 manual and a stock 16:1 power in my cars. I enjoy the feel of the road in the manual in MyFirstCar but I can agree parallel parking isn't fun. Meh. I've had the car 27 years, so I'm used to it. I also have the Emberglo power steering car that is absolutely effortless and smooth as hot butter. One can drive the car with a pinkie. I love that as I've gotten older and have had shoulder surgery, and I'm thinking about adding that full box of concours power steering parts to MyFirstCar, and including roller bearing idlers. I'm all about keeping things simple and inexpensive so I like stock/Chock on the option list. If something breaks, I can limp in manual mode and can get parts at a local spot until I get my original replacement. If something breaks on one of those pricey systems... (8O

'66 Tahoe Turquoise/ Aqua coupe
•289 / 4100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Manual Steering
•Rally Pac •Console •Deluxe Belts
•LOTS of Rotunda accessories
•Original Styled Steel Wheels
...my first car

'66 Emberglo / Parchment coupe
•289 / 2100 •C4 Auto •Disc Brakes
•Dual Exhaust •16:1 Power Steering
•Dealer Air Conditioning •Console
...son's first car

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:12 PM

Garage
You can also go with a 68 box and have a rag joint to soften the feel and sever the spear. Can even get a collapsible column. Or combine an ididit column later.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage
I'd swap out your 225/60/16 for some better fitting/handling 225/50/16
I'm using a slow:1 box with a Shelby quick steer kit
if I went with power steering it would be EPAS
If I ever have to R&R the steering box it will get a short shaft 16:1 box and EPAS

Brad
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:11 PM

+1 on the rebuilt box from chock. Very nice and precise. I have power steering stock system which I appreciate at low speeds but as others have said you loose the feel of the road and I dont like the over boosted feel. EPAS sounds like a winner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:56 PM

Garage
I have to agree with the above on getting a rebuilt box from Chock. I have one of his steering boxes in my 69 Coupe.

2000 Ranger 4X4 (my DD)
1999 Explorer Sport (wife's DD)
2008 Escape (spare)
1969 Mustang Coupe (project)
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom (wife's toy)
Build thread; http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...cs-t15096.html
AKA; mike65, member here since 12/00.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 PM

I have Chock rebuilt everything including all power steering components. Just did the SoT front coil over system and added rollerized idler and quick steering arm. Seems to have gotten the steering down to around 3 1/4 turns or less lock to lock. I have a new vagueness on center that I didn't have before but there are many factors in play.

If I was starting over on a street car I would probably go EPAS. I'd spring for the EPAS kit as running in "safe mode" with some of the home brew solutions concerns me long term and I'd want the adjustability. If I continue in autocross I'll probably end up with R&P eventually.

65 C Code hardtop from California still wearing it's original paint.
Roller 331, TW 170 heads, T-5z, FiTech EFI, HiPo Manifolds, Arvinode exhaust, SoT Bilstien coilover front suspension, TJ on eBay 8" 3.40 Trac-Loc 3rd member. Mustang Steve 2008 GT bracketed 12.4" front disks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page