'64.5 Rear Suspension Overhaul - Vintage Mustang Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cavboy78

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

'64.5 Rear Suspension Overhaul

Next up on my to do list is to start improving the suspension in my car. Thinking of starting with the rear for ease of install/cost. I have a Street or Track export brace and monte carlo bar coming for some simple front end upgrades as well.

Is a kit like this the best way to go? Or should I consider something else keeping quality and cost in mind? Car is a simple weekend cruiser with some spirited driving.

1965-70 Mustang rear leaf spring package

Last edited by Steven Ramage; 04-25-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 PM

SoT makes and sells excellent parts along with customer service. I have their complete front end along with Bilstein shocks. Iím very pleased with everything. However the only thing I have done to my rear suspension is just the shocks. Addressing the springs is something I need to do. The leaf springs SoT sells are Scott Drake. I have no personal experience on them so I really canít comment too much. What I do know is theyíre made in India. Not that is a bad thing. The general issue with off shore springs is that they seem to be all over the place as far as ride height and the complaint is that they raise the rear of the car, not lower it or even keep stock ride height. You also have to keep in mind and Iím sure many times people over look that the springs on the car are old and sagging. So even comparing it to a original spring, the original will be higher.

The original manufacturer is Eaton and they still make and sell what they shipped to Ford. So youíre getting the real deal. They donít have one size fits all either. It is the correct spring for the way your car was built and exactly the same. They will even custom make springs for you. The hitch? They cost a fair amount more. They are also made out of the correct steel and itís USA steel too.

So that what it comes down to. Many people who buy the off shore 4.5 leaf mid eye complain itís higher then stock and have to use lowering blocks.

This is not so much advice but rather what the typical response will be when members here have used these brands and getting first hand info. Go by what they say.

Tom

One thing great about getting older. A life in prison sentence is less of a deterrence

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:47 PM

Anything from Street or Track and Opentracker should be excellent quality at a reasonable price. The shocks make a BIG improvement too. I would have had no problem buying that kit.

1966 Convertible restomod in progress

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Acooljt
Ditto for Opentracker and Street or Track, they’re both members here and have quality products. The only thing that I might look at getting is the leaf spring plates that have the hole for towing, it makes hooking up the straps a lot easier. I think mine were made by Ron Morris products. This is what I’m talking about: http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/...duct_Code=5110

Need your old radio repaired? Or maybe you just want it converted to use an iPod? Looking for a new CD player, speakers, etc. for your Mustang? We own a car audio business! http://www.unitedradioserviceinc.com Over 70 years of experience!

1967 Mustang Coupe - "Melinda"
http://acooljt.homestead.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Im generally not a fan of kits because like the spring plates,. the ones you have should be fine with a clean and paint. Though I'm sure SoT is a fine retailer, gentleman and scholar its still mostly SD components which I have so don't be afraid to buy from him. New bolts are always a good idea in that area but the plates are an extra. Bilsteins are wonderful but there are choices in valving depending on your wants so look into them.
I'm uber cheap but still splurged a bit on the DelaLum bushings and shackles i don't see them on SoT site so I'll drop this. https://opentrackerracing.com/produc...kit-1965-1973/

Verbose Vocabularian
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:55 PM

Garage
I have 4.5 mid eyes from Opentracker and they didn't increase the ride height. As already written, the shocks are important too. I run Bilstein shocks on all corners and I am super happy with them. You can call John from opentrakcer and discuss with him what you want and he can help you. SaT will most likely do the same.

Installation is very easy, IF the leaf spring bolt in the front comes out. I would start to soak both bolts asap to make your life easier. I had one very stubborn bolt and I can give you some recommendations how to remove the bolt if you run into problems.

1966 Convertible (Plant: San Jose, CA)
289 2V, PS, AC
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang4SF View Post
Installation is very easy, IF the leaf spring bolt in the front comes out. I would start to soak both bolts asap to make your life easier. I had one very stubborn bolt and I can give you some recommendations how to remove the bolt if you run into problems.
this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg sawzall.jpeg (70.4 KB, 6 views)
Mustang4SF likes this.

2012 Boss 302 (Rowdy) - Slowly becoming a track car...not stock
1970 Mustang Sportsroof (Roxy) - 357w roller block, T-5z, Global West Control Arms w/ QA-1's, Vintage Venom Disc Brakes
1966 Mustang Coupe (Rhonda) - 289 2V, PS/PB, Silver Blue
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:13 PM

I went with the Eaton Special Handling, or GT rear and front springs, and KYB Gas-Adjust shocks. I like the way the car sits and handles along with a SD Export Brace, 1" sway bar, and Monte Carlo bar, and Shelby/Arning Drop. My car rides smooth like a new car and corners well. If I every need shocks I'd consider Bilsteins.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:21 AM

if your car condition is good and if you want to use for a long term in future so my recommendation is to spend money on it, and get the satisfaction, if you save money now it will be spent in upcoming months so spent 1 time and then relax, I had a one old ford truck i spent around 4000$ and now the truck is being used as a "towing truck service near me". so take your decision.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:55 PM

DON'T FALL FOR TROLLISH CLICK BAIT

Verbose Vocabularian
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofAMillion+ View Post
DON'T FALL FOR TROLLISH CLICK BAIT
Yeah I thought that was a strange response...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page