Dreaded over heating topic again...I know guys sorry - Vintage Mustang Forums
 30Likes

post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Dreaded over heating topic again...I know guys sorry

I hate to bring this back up but it seems like no matter what I do eventually it comes back around. I recently installed AC on my 65 coupe with a stock 289 in it. I have been monitoring temps while driving. Today it was 90 degrees here in San Antonio. Driving temps on the highway were about 200-205. But when I stop and idle they will creep up. No AC running temp at idle hits 220-225 and hangs there but turn the AC on and it starts climbing. I let it cross 235 today and it showed no sign of stopping, turned off AC and it slowly went back to 225. I am running:

195 degree thermostat
fan shroud
17 inch clutch fan
thermal clutch
flowtek high flow pump
aluminum 2 core radiator
Engine is timed at 18 intial with 38 total
600 cfm holley
Weiand Street Warrior intake
Stock cam
Stock heads
Coolant is 60/40 water/antifreeze mix
Water wetter added

Engine has been flushed several times with citric acid and thermocure. I really can't think of anything else to help short of installing a auxiliary electric pusher fan or going to an all electric set up. When I high idle about 1500 rpm temps will come down some with AC on. Temps don't shoot right to 235 but if I idle for like 5-10 minutes they will get there. If anyone else has and idea I would love to hear it but otherwise my next step will be trying electric fan. It's just going to get hotter here in San Antonio..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 PM

Im not a fan of high flow pumps. My 65 with a 289 and AC has a stock radiator and 5 blade fan with a 180 thermostat. So far so good, but 81-82 is the highest we have had here this summer.
coupster likes this.

1965 Mustang Coupe 289/C4
1967 Mustang Coupe 200/C4
2017 Mustang EB Premium
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Woodchuck
Manual or automatic transmission?

Manifold or ported vacuum source for distributor?
Huskinhano and RV6 like this.

Bart

What, me worry?
- Alfred E. Neuman

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

@Woodchuck manual transmission and ported vacuum
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgc View Post
Im not a fan of high flow pumps. My 65 with a 289 and AC has a stock radiator and 5 blade fan with a 180 thermostat. So far so good, but 81-82 is the highest we have had here this summer.
Is your 65 an early aluminum pump without the backing plate? That is a high flow pump straight from the factory. Also are you running AC. The addition of the AC condenser has upped my temperatures even when the AC is not on. I am guessing due to the fact that it's harder to pull air through the condenser and the radiator.
Ironstang likes this.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Acooljt
Ditch the mechanical fan for a nice electric with thermostatic switch (make sure to upgrade your alternator to 3G to compensate) and I’m a little suspect that your thermostat is opening. For the cheap cost of a new thermostat you can have peace of mind.

/thread haha

Need your old radio repaired? Or maybe you just want it converted to use an iPod? Looking for a new CD player, speakers, etc. for your Mustang? We own a car audio business! http://www.unitedradioserviceinc.com Over 70 years of experience!

1967 Mustang Coupe - "Melinda"
http://acooljt.homestead.com
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

@Acooljt this is a brand new thermostat. Just replaced it like less than two weeks ago. Everything to do with cooling this engine is 6 months or less old. If the thermostat wasn't opening I would over heat no matter if I was running down the highway or idling. I am running the 195 because that is the recommendation of some very smart people on this forum. It's the OEM installed temp. I have considered changing to the 180 but really don't see how it can help..yeah it will open sooner. But once open will not flow anymore than the 195 so eventually the temp will go up. BTW, already running a 3g alternator. So if I do go with electric fan I should be good to go.
Grimbrand likes this.

Last edited by PA_cob; 04-25-2019 at 10:04 PM.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:12 PM

Ive been through almost all that, elec fan with an original engine. Every single thing helped a little bit but it would eventually reach overload and runaway in temps ~90*, ie. half the year.

Adding a generic '67 size 3 row radiator solved it overwhelmingly and I have a feeling it would have if it was done 1st.
oscarnielsen likes this.

Verbose Vocabularian
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:12 PM

Garage
I've got everything in place, just have not installed the A/C lines yet. Sanden compressor, factory condenser, aluminum water pump, original 5 blade flex fan w/o clutch (factory set up), factory style shroud. Aluminum 24" 3 row radiator. 180 thermostat. Evans Waterless coolant. Auto trans using the cooler built into the radiator. I've let it sit and idle at the house (not in traffic) and it will get up to around 219 max. I'm sure it will go up once I get the A/C lines installed and the system charged up and running, which should happen by next month. Its been in the upper 80's here lately and that is going to do nothing but go up in the next couple of months.

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Acooljt
I had this identical problem on my car many years ago and then I splurged on a Griffin aluminum radiator with electric fan and my car has never been above 195 since.

Need your old radio repaired? Or maybe you just want it converted to use an iPod? Looking for a new CD player, speakers, etc. for your Mustang? We own a car audio business! http://www.unitedradioserviceinc.com Over 70 years of experience!

1967 Mustang Coupe - "Melinda"
http://acooljt.homestead.com
post #11 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

The problem is that I know even though the cooling system in the 65-66 must was marginal, they did come from the factory with AC and not over heat. So why is mine over heating? I want to know the answer to that.
post #12 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acooljt View Post
I had this identical problem on my car many years ago and then I splurged on a Griffin aluminum radiator with electric fan and my car has never been above 195 since.
Just looking at your engine bay photo maybe it's not the car you are referring to, but you don't have A/C, PS? MT or Auto?

VMF Build Thread - 1969 Shelby GT350 Hertz rebuild Gallery
Used by Hertz for the 1969 "Rent-A-Racer" program at Miami Internation Airport.
post #13 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acooljt View Post
Then you are running the wrong thermostat

Verbose Vocabularian
post #14 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:05 PM

How do you know the temps you are quoting are accurate?

Your symptoms sound like you need more air flow at idle. Do you know the thermal fan clutch is working?

The only vehicle I have ever had that used a thermal clutch was an 84 F250. One time I was driving across Arizona in July. Temps were triple digits. I slowed down for a freeway clover leaf. All of a sudden there was a Cessna on a takeoff run under my hood. It was a sound I had never heard before. About 3 or 4 minutes after I was back up to highway speed the sound suddenly died away. I finally realized the fan clutch had gotten hot enough to lock up and it was moving serious amounts of air.

Everybody has to start some place
post #15 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

I have an aftermarket mechanical guage installed on the car. And I have used laser temp gun to verify temps on the car. The fan clutch is only 6 months old. When I spin it by hand when the car is off it spins one to two times and stops. It's moving air at idle just not enough. I do notice that it seams to spin the same wether it's hot or cold so maybe it's not working correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page